Affinity series no longer budget friendly.

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by Fretman67, Jun 1, 2020.

1. Fretman67

Fretman67 TDPRI Member

I bought my Squier Affinity Telecaster two years ago. A 2018 model for $269. Same guitar but a 2019 model now sells for $329. Pretty big price difference. Those are Canadian dollars. Guitar specs are pretty much the same. Not sure why the big increase in price.

2. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

$329 for a good, perfectly usable Telecaster that I could use to play any gig that came up?!? And that's too much money?!? That is less than a good guitar would have cost in 1970. Sorry, but I think that is a really good deal, and very affordable!

stnmtthw likes this.
  3. Mr Gunny

Mr Gunny Tele-Meister

They sell for $229 in the US. And that’s an incredible value. A full thickness telecaster with a string through body and a respectable neck for that price is not bad at all. I had a 2019 and the tuners were actually pretty decent as well. Yes, the pickups COULD be upgraded but they’re decent.

Gary135r likes this.
  4. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

I paid $169 for mine. I remember being shocked at how much guitar could be had, for the cost of cable for a couple months.

5. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Holic

I get what you're saying... That's a 22% increase, but your pay didn't go up 22%....

Is the guitar 22% better in 2 years?

I think the question is much more complicated... Labor costs, materials, all impacted by exchange rates, tax rates and environment regulations.

Also, I don't see the "Standard" line of 2 single pickup Squiers any more. I think Fender may have upped the quality of the Affinity along with the price increase to split the difference.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

CajunJ and 68Telebass like this.
  6. Ebidis

Ebidis Tele-Afflicted

2 words: Harley Benton.

PhredE, beagle and Rob L like this.
  7. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Thing is, it wasn't all that long back you could get a CV50s for that much, right? Or m I remembering wrongly? (I almost only ever buy used)

8. Mr Gunny

Mr Gunny Tele-Meister

That’s Canadian, they go for $229 US. I don’t think the CV’s ever dropped below $300, someone else can correct me if I’m wrong.

AlbertoMilanese likes this.
  9. Rob L

Rob L Tele-Meister

Not an Affinity but I understand where you're coming from.
    Years ago I bought a Squier Classic Vibe Telecaster Thinline in natural-finish mahogany for just under $200 They have since more then doubled and most places only have the natural, red or black.
    I changed the bridge. Added a Bigsby. Changed the pups, wiring, pots and tuners for a total including the guitar of about $400 and it rivaled any name Fender Telecaster. I miss the says I could buy a Squier and mod it out for under $400 total. Even the parts have gone up.
    The Squiers are going up in price due to many factors one being companies like Harley Benton producing fantastic guitars that a poor beginner could afford.

cyclopean and Ebidis like this.
  10. Fretman67

Fretman67 TDPRI Member

I guess the price difference stood out more for me because it's no longer in the two hundred range. The other thing is that the price did not move on the Bullet telecasters and they're still selling at the same price they sold for two years ago at $229. So a forty dollar difference between the Bullet and the Affinity model now becomes a hundred dollar difference. They're both great guitars but can't really see the Affinity being that much better. I got the Affinity back then because the price difference was minimal but can't see myself doing the same today.

11. Musekatcher

I think the real question, how much does it cost you to own it over its intended service life? Divide $329 by the years you think it will last. You'll find its cheaper than about anything else you own with moving parts.

Fretting out and stnmtthw like this.
  12. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Overall, I think guitar prices have adapted well to inflation over the years. I paid the equivalent of about £1000 for my MiJ Thinline in '98 and back in 1995, the old Sunn Mustangs used to cost the equivalent of about £250. However, there was definitely a point where they were going down a bit in real terms at the low end. It's a shame you can't get some of the bargains you used to get with the Vintage Modified range.

13. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

Remember you got to pay for the Fender marketing operation. Keith Richards is not getting a fee to play a Harley Benton. You can tell the difference on resale, when the used Fender brings more

In the end, Fender, like Picasso, can charge whatever they want for their productions, and you can buy it or not. Nothing has any absolute value beyond what people will pay

PhredE, stnmtthw and beagle like this.
  14. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Afflicted

Over here the affinity tele is £179 ... and £149 for the bullet.

So only 20 quid difference, which seems crazy. I don't even see the point of having both in the range any more.

I'm pretty sure not that long ago the bullet was much closer to £100, so for me it feels like the opposite is true and it's the bullet that's gone up in price to almost match the affinity. I don't know why that is...

Annotation 2020-06-02 112210.jpg

15. Musekatcher

Good point - especially when you add, that an Affinity isn't a Fender, its a Squier. And, if you don't want to pay for a Squier, you can buy any number of cheaper guitars that legitimately are good guitars with near the same parts. I was really close to buying one of those $39.95 shipped jobbies, when I discovered a Squier SE in a pawnshop for $40. I personally like having a name brand on the peghead, but its not necessary.

Piggy Stu and beagle like this.
  16. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

If the guitar plays well, I don't care if it says "Oriental CRAPOCASTER"...

Ebidis, BBQedIguana and Piggy Stu like this.
  17. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Afflicted

what is the difference between the current bullet and the affinity?

18. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

I would probably pay extra if a guitar had a good logo saying 'Oriental CRAPOCASTER' - in spaghetti, ideally - or Ramen noodles

PhredE, CajunJ, Ebidis and 3 others like this.
  19. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

The Affinity hasn't been full thickness for 15 years or more. That 1.5 inch body has kept me from buying them.

20. Mr Gunny

Mr Gunny Tele-Meister

They’re full thickness again.

Gary135r and Jlwctn like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.