Affinity Saddles

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by jazzalta, May 6, 2016.

1. jazzalta

jazzalta Tele-Meister

Just wondering if modern steel saddles (6) will fit on my Affinity Tele. Thanks in advance.

2. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

I think both StewMac and Guitar Fetish have a set that will fit, with Fetish being considerably cheaper.

Please don't take that as gospel; I've been waiting for someone more knowledgeable than myself (in other words, any forum member :p) to chime in with an answer.

I wouldn't mind upgrading the saddles on mine either.

3. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

If I'm not mistaken, Affinity Teles' string spacing is 52mm. Measure the spread of your intonation screws. If I'm correct, make sure you get the narrower, 10.5mm "import" saddles (with centered intonation screws, of course).

Last edited: May 6, 2016
    boris bubbanov likes this.
  4. yegbert

yegbert Poster Extraordinaire

Unless Fender has changed the specs of the bridgeplate and saddles on the Affinity Tele in more recent years; although it comes stock with the narrower, 10.5mm-wide, so-called "import spec" saddles, the holes in the bridgeplate are spaced instead for the wider, 10.8mm-wide saddles, like those used on the MIM standard and Gotoh-designed, modern-style bridgeplate. So those wider saddles actually fit better on the Affinity with its stock bridgeplate, than the original saddles. I used a set of the MIM standard saddles on my son's. They fit better for two reasons: 1) they saddles sit together with no gaps in between, and 2) the saddles being slightly longer, the strings pass through them without vertical zig-zag bends.

Here are a couple of old threads on this topic, one with pictures of my son's Affinity with the wider saddles:

http://www.tdpri.com/threads/anyone-setup-a-gotoh-modern-bridge-as-a-toploader.205437/#post-2403757

http://www.tdpri.com/threads/squier-affnity-tele-replacement-bridge.208321/

pdcorlis likes this.
  5. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

Aha! Thank you very much, yegbert.

Sorry, jazzalta. I was indeed mistaken.

6. jazzalta

jazzalta Tele-Meister

Thanks guys. Much appreciated.

7. Lead2Fan

Lead2Fan Tele-Meister

Go with the GFS (GuitarFetish) steel saddles, they are a great value but be forewarned you WILL have to reuse the height screws from the original saddles as the GFS ones are a bit shorter.

To make things easier install the screws BEFORE installing the saddles on the bridge and do it over a tray of some sort, you don't want to drop them and have them roll away or lose any of them in the carpet. You can add a dab of blue Loctite to the height adjustment screws, it will keep them from backing out.

While you are at it and placing an order you might as well get the steel input jack/socket plate to replace the plastic factory one. Just one inadvertent tug or step on the guitar cable while turning and you will crack the factory one.

GFS:

saddles link: http://www.guitarfetish.com/Upgrade...its-import-or-USA-Trems-Set-of-Six_p_773.html

jack plate (chrome) link: http://www.guitarfetish.com/Rectangular-curved-output-plate-chrome-FREE-jack_p_655.html

jack plate (black) link: http://www.guitarfetish.com/Rectangular-curved-output-plate-Black-FREE-jack_p_654.html

GFS also offers the jack plate in gold.

8. carmichael0908

carmichael0908 TDPRI Member

I bought these saddles for my BSB and they feel like an upgrade, sustain is little better, cheap and easily drop in

9. adamisdope

adamisdope TDPRI Member

Hey guys. Sorry to bring up an old post. Is there another option besides getting from GFS or StewMac (too pricey)? Unfortunately GFS do not ship to my location.

10. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

11. adamisdope

adamisdope TDPRI Member

12. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

There are plenty of other sellers just write "steel saddles" in the ebay's searchbox.

adamisdope likes this.
  13. Sollophonic

Sollophonic Friend of Leo's

[​IMG]

IMO it's not the saddles that are the problem, it's the way they are strung on the Affinity bridge. Unlike six saddle string throughs, the Affinity has a bridge where the strings push the saddles up as well as push them down. This causes some problems as far as saddle adjustment screws working loose, plus more importantly it detracts from the tone, as most bridges have largely downward pressure.

I think that as far as the Affinity Tele is concerned, it is a great cheap Tele, which is great for mods, but the first mod I do to any Affinity is do the Bubba Mod with the bridge or change it out altogether for a vintage style three or six saddle topload one

[​IMG]

adamisdope likes this.
  14. adamisdope

adamisdope TDPRI Member

That's a sexy looking Tele. May I ask, where did find the saddles and screws for that mod?

15. Sollophonic

Sollophonic Friend of Leo's

Thanks, it gets gigged and rehearsed with often. It now is back to two Lawrence pickups and a 4 way switch.

It's a standard ashtray style three saddle bridge and saddles, a Wilkinson or similar will do the job.

You have to drill a a couple more mounting holes, plus there are two screw holes left showing at the rear of the new bridge.

Fiarly simple mod and well worthwhile

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.