Affinity or Turser Custom Deluxe

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by thegiftofyears, Jun 3, 2014.

1. thegiftofyears

thegiftofyears Tele-Meister

2. papaphaedrus

papaphaedrus Tele-Meister

I would personally go for the affinity. Your urls didn't show up, so I googled the turser and saw lots of gold hardware. I hate gold hardware. The only guitar I ever thought it looked ok on was srv's. Not the tribute models, just the original. Did I mention that I don't like gold hardware?

3. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

Thin body is a deal killer on affinity models for me.

4. SoundDesign

SoundDesign TDPRI Member

The "burst" on that Jay Turser kinda looks like someone snuck up on it with a can of black spray paint.

5. tpaul

tpaul Poster Extraordinaire

I don't understand the comparison. You're comparing a double-bound, humbucker-equipped, gold-hardware, maple fretboard, sunburst finish, through-body strung guitar with a non-bound, single-coil equipped, nickle hardware, rosewood fretboard, blue finish, top-loader guitar.

Do you have any actual preferences?

6. Danno

Danno Tele-Holic

I have both. Two different animals really. The Turser is one of the best non-Fender Tele's I have owned. Lots of bang for the buck. The gold hardware is not my fave but it's a very fine playing guitar.

7. bender-freak

bender-freak Friend of Leo's

Like Danno, I have both and I will say without reservation the Turser gets much more play time than the Affinity.

I currently have the JTLT deluxe Turser set up with Roland synth pickyp (GK-3) and run it thru a GR09 module for recording.

The Affinity was a project guitar when I bought it, and to become playable I had to do a complete fret level, replace the switch, and I converted it to a 3-saddle bridge (wilkinson) because I prefer the 3 saddles. I added a Bigsby clone to it just because I wanted to. It is currently on my list of "stuff for trading fodder" tho I doubt I could get any more for it than I could for the Turser.

The Turser needed nothing, it was fine "out of the box". I bought it several years ago when they were $179 with free shipping. I think they are now $225+ and shipping on TOP of that..

8. thegiftofyears

Good point. I should have specified that the comparison was simply one of price point. The JT is just about $20 more.

I settled on the JT custom deluxe. This has a very nice neck and a good sounding bridge pickup. The neck is darker voiced than I prefer but I have a black mean 90 sitting around here that I can swap in.

9. thegiftofyears

I went back and looked at the photo and you're right! :lol:
    It looks much better in person.

10. Ironbird

Ironbird Tele-Holic

I'd go for the Affinity, personally, because I prefer rosewood boards and that LPB colour is to die for.

11. harold h

harold h Friend of Leo's

Turser all the way.

12. el cheapo

el cheapo Tele-Afflicted

The Fezz Parka mod would fix that.

13. vintage clubber

vintage clubber Friend of Leo's

I have a Turser Paisley and two affinity teles out of the 4 that came across my workbench last fall. All of the affinities were pre-owned and less than $100 each. I did the Bubba mod on 3 of them.

This one is now owned by a fellow forum member after I had traded to a customer and he sold it and then that person sold it.

[​IMG]

I sold one to a friend of mine once I added a neck pickup and pickguard.

[​IMG]

I kept these two:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I like my Turser, but after having these 4 Squiers across my bench, I would lean toward the affinity over the Turser, especially used. Fender spec pickguards will drop right in with no alteration needed. I had to have a pickguard custom made for the Turser. I had no issues with the necks/fretwork on either brand.

14. 61fury

61fury Friend of Leo's

Like he said ^ Affinities accept standard Fender parts like pick guards, can the Jay Turser do that?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.