Affinity For Affinity

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by Grandy, Jun 20, 2021.

1. Grandy

Grandy Tele-Holic

Last year I bought an Affinity on a whim. I popped in a store, played it a bit and and it felt good in my hands. The neck pickup was dark sounding but the price was right and I could later replace the pickup, if I didn't get along with it.

A few days ago I finally got a chance to play it in a band context. The neck pickup was signicantly better when I was able to play louder. When I used my Catalinbread Blood Donor as a clean boost I got back the sparkle I was missing.

What I really enjoy is that there is more space between the high E string and the edge of the fretboard. I guess the downside to this is the narrow string spacing. It can a little awkward when you are playing closer to the nut or if you have big hands.

The first thing I always do when I buy a new guitar is taking it to guitar tech for a set up. When I went back to pick it up he said he's going to get one for himself too.

What do you think of Affinities? They seem to be a pretty popular platform for mods and upgrades but I'm not much of modder. The tuners may need upgrading though. I'll see about later.

2. Grandy

Grandy Tele-Holic

Here's a pic.

20210620_125246.jpg

3. orangeblossom

orangeblossom Friend of Leo's

Love mine. Put a set of 52 pure vintage pickups in it. E3D6A1B5-A7B1-4660-B6DD-A369A0457A59.jpeg

68Telebass likes this.
  4. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Love them. My son has an Affinity PJ bass that is just phenomenal - all stock except for the pickguard. It was great after just a basic setup and plays and sounds as good as his Player and him Steve Harris signature basses - different, but every bit as good.

I have a couple of Affinity Strats that I like. With the slimmer neck and thinner body, you can definitely tell them from my MIA and MIK Fenders, but they still play and sound fantastic - they have both been heavily modded, though.

To put it in perspective, three of my guitars are getting 90% of the play/gig time these days. #1 is a Squier Contemporary Strat (MIC) and tied for #2 is and Affinity Strat and an MIA Tele.

5. naveed211

naveed211 Friend of Leo's

Cool!

I have an Affinity P-Bass. I’ve never changed the strings on it and it could use a setup, but for simply laying down tracks on recordings, it does the job. I should probably give it some love at some point.

Also, at one point my main guitar was an older Affinity Strat. I had a boutique amp and pedals, but I was rocking a $100 guitar. That one was that good!

They can be reaaaallly hit and miss, I don’t praise them as much as some folks do on here. I’ve played plenty of uninspiring duds. But really good ones are out there.

6. gip111

gip111 Tele-Meister

I love both my Affinities, got them both used. The neck is slim and the tighter string spacing makes it even tighter (for me) What I did with them was to make my own nut and spaced the strings just enough where both E strings are close but not falling off the edge. Stock pickups are ok, though they both sounded slightly different. I took the one I thought sounded the worst and installed a pair of Alnico pickups I had laying around, made a nice difference, tuners never bothered me. Nice color BTW! tele 2.jpg
    2000 on the left has "aged" nicely, the one on the right 2016 has the Alnico pickups.

68Telebass and mkdaws32 like this.
  7. Roscoe295

Roscoe295 Tele-Meister

My Affinity was my cheap entry into TeleWord & guitar mods.

A bubba mod, 2 Cavalier pickups, new pots & switch, & 1 new neck later & I know a heck of a lot more about guitars (and I have a nice feeling, fun player)

Attached Files:

68Telebass and vhilts1 like this.
  8. mkdaws32

Funny! One of the mods to the Affinity I play the most was to install a new TUSQ nut with wider string spacing at the neck. The two E strings are quite close to the fretboard edges, but I never roll them off the edges while playing - depending on the playing style, it could be problematic for someone else. The wider spacing at the nut - although subtle - made a positive difference in feel to me, compared to the way my Fenders feel.

fleezinator likes this.
  9. naveed211

naveed211 Friend of Leo's

Cool amp, love the Gibson Crestline series.

Roscoe295 likes this.
  10. vhilts1

vhilts1 Tele-Holic

They are good value for the price

Im always a little at odds with the extreme low end buyers club. Lol

Why ?

Low end guitar new/used = $100 - $200
    Custom made nut = $50
    PUP upgrade = $100 +
    Pots 4Way and Jack upgrade = $50 +
    Bridge upgrade = $100 +
    Tuners upgrade = $100

Total spent = @$600
    Total value = @$200
    Long term satisfaction level = minimal
    Used USA Telecaster = @$600 +
    A1 Custom DIY Partscaster = @$2000

And a lot of guys have several low enders. Lol.

I get the need/want to tinker and/or experiment with low end mules but the large collections of low end entry level stuff baffles me somewhat

11. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

They're built to a price, but they're perfectly adequate guitars.

I bought an new Affinity Strat years ago, Still have it, still play it.

Fret ends were a bit rough when I got it, an easy fix. Apart from that it's exactly as it came out of the box.

They're light years ahead of the cheap crap that was around when I started playing.

Lotek, Ronzo and vhilts1 like this.
  12. gip111

gip111 Tele-Meister

I get your point but for me...

Affinity Tele = $100
    Custom made (by yours truly) graphite nut = $7.99
    My own fret leveling = $0.00
    Alnico PUP upgrade $40.

Total spent = $147.99 on a great player.

If we're talking Affinity or Bullet budget, I never had a tuner untune itself, change a bridge...why? Pots and jacks, if they work, I leave them alone.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2021
  13. gip111

gip111 Tele-Meister

What neck did you use and how was the fit?

14. Roscoe295

Roscoe295 Tele-Meister

I don’t disagree with any of this reasoning.

But I would add that for a lot of tinkerers they’re using parts for other things or selling old parts (so they’re getting value for the old parts too).

For me a $135 Affinity scratched the itch to see if a Tele was for me.

Then I quickly decided that if I were to swap out pickups then I should learn to do that myself (bought a solder iron & learned)

That was when I reached the point of no return

I actually acquired another affinity (cheap) that had a bubba mod done to it with lipstick pickups (didn’t like it).

So
    1. I got ‘my’ guitar to where I wanted it
    2. Obtained a whole new skill set
    3. Sold the other pickups, neck and additional parts (recouped over 50% of added expense).
    4. Gave the other guitar to my nephew - probably ruined him

Made a lot of sense for me

vhilts1 and Toadtele like this.
  15. mkdaws32

It can certainly go the way you are saying, but here’s the breakdown of mine - this is Canadian dollars:

- pawnshop Affinity Strat $100
    - new Alpha pots and Oak Grigsby switch $20
    - Bootstrap pickups $65
    - Graphtec nut $10
    - Saddles from a higher-end Squier (let’s say $10)

- Bridge and tuners were fine stock - lots of sustain and good tuning stability with the Graphtech nut installed. I changed the saddles to a block style because I didn’t like the feel of the original saddles when palm muting.

Bought the guitar because I really liked the feel and playability of it - I did not walk into the pawn shop in search of a cheap guitar.

Labour all done by me - including a refinish.

Total - let’s throw in misc shop supplies and refinishing supplies and call it $250 even.

A new Affinity in Canada is $329

If I spend a lot more on a custom partscaster, it would not end up much different than this.

Long term satisfaction? It’s tied for my number #2 with an MIA Tele and I’ve had it finished for about a year now.

Bonus - I LOVE doing this stuff. You do need to know where to spend money and where not to and you need to know exactly what you want, or yes - it can become a bottomless money pit ;)

16. vhilts1

vhilts1 Tele-Holic

FWIW I have an Affinity with zero upgrades I bought used for $80 delivered to my house from Craigslist that I have given 1000s of lessons on. Lol

I’m not totally knocking them.

I do see a lot of people repeatedly putting $$$ into low end guitars and I can’t really figure out the attraction after maybe the first 1 or 2 ??

But to each their own

notmyusualuserid and mkdaws32 like this.
  17. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Friend of Leo's

My two main instruments are Squier Affinities: a white 1999-ish P-bass and a black mid-2000s Bullet Special. I am very satisfied with both; they are both simple and stable tools that stay in tune, feel like home, work reliably and get me into the tonal ballpark I like, consistently. I kind of stumbled into ownership of each of them, used, so I guess I got lucky.

DBF35629-E8EB-47B9-B84B-99D4A41DFA9F.jpeg

*Edit* Maybe the Bullet Special isn’t part of the Affinity series...can’t remember. But with it’s thinner-than-a-real Strat laminated body, it is nonetheless a budget Fender-inspired guitar that happens to work really well.

68Telebass and mkdaws32 like this.
  18. Grandy

Grandy Tele-Holic

I always wonder how many guitars tinkerers have ruined and what the cost of learning to do all the tweaks has been. I'd like think I've saved a little money by paying a skilled pro to take care of my guitars.

Chester P Squier likes this.
  19. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Afflicted

The Affinity is a good guitar. If it's set up properly, it is a great guitar.

It's not the best guitar possible, but it's definitely better than some cheap copies.

notmyusualuserid likes this.
  20. fleezinator

fleezinator Tele-Meister

:lol:
    dang this is almost an identical backstory to mine. Pawnshop beater, Yosemite pickups, tone shapers wiring kit, tort pickguard, Tusq nut & refin. Does yours look like this :lol:;)

[​IMG]

Prior to this my number one was an MIA PRS standard which is a great guitar but not the one I reach for first as of late

68Telebass likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.