Aerodyne Strat project - ?s about body shape/specs

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by alathIN, Aug 18, 2019.

1. alathIN

alathIN Tele-Holic

Hi, I'm getting my favorite genius woodworker to make me an aerodyne strat body and wanting some help with how to spec the project.

Eyeballing the actual guitars, it looks to me like the profile is kind of like the roof of a house: two flats rising to a slight peak. But in some pictures it looks like a curve.

If anyone has the specs on this top profile, I'd really like to know whether it's a curve or two flats. And either way, it would be helpful to know how far the dropoff is.

Plan B is to take a straightedge into a guitar store and hope someone working there is in a helpful mood... but I'd appreciate anything anyone can tell me.

Also by eyeball, it looks like they just used the "flex" in the plastic to make the pickguard fit over the top shape. But if there's anything special about the pickguard or the neck pocket etc, please share.

Attached Files:

Mr. Neutron likes this.
  2. Macrogats

Macrogats Friend of Leo's

I’d say it’s just had the radius routed that way over the top (and bottom?) Of The body. It’s not a huge radius so there’s enough flex in the pg to hold it down. It’s most likely flat along the entire bridge/neck line.

There’s a guy who built a Strat over in the Home Depot Forum who did a radius top - very similar. I’m contemplating doing the same thing on a LP junior DC.

alathIN likes this.
  3. Artslap

Artslap Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I own one.

I'll take some pics/measurements and post them for you.

Let me know if you want anything specific and I'll try to accommodate.

CP.

alathIN likes this.
  4. urbandefault

urbandefault Tele-Meister

Don't know about now, but in the first run the top was a curve. Not flats.

I can't remember what the back was like, but it was probably standard belly cut.

alathIN likes this.
  5. alathIN

alathIN Tele-Holic

Thanks!

I think the biggest issue is the vertical distance between the high in the middle and the low on the edges.
    Some idea of the contour would be helpful too... is it a consistent radius all the way, or more two flats with the peak rounded off?

I don't have to duplicate Fender's version - but I did like the feel of one I played in a store.

From the back, I didn't notice any difference from a regular strat.

20190818_122415.jpg

6. Macrogats

I can’t copy and paste at the moment, but head over to Tele Home Depot and check out a thread titled “Strat build(s) 3 and 4...”

I’ve bumped it up to the top page.

alathIN likes this.
  7. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

18" straight radius along the top; this was specifically stated in the published specs.

The back was flat, with a tummy cut.

7 1/4" radius with old-style skinny frets.

"Ebonized" rosewood fretboards (the black wears off over time, especially if you use fretboard cleaner).

The U.S. model Jazz Basses had no guards and no top fretboard dots. The JDM Jazz Bass models had guards and top markers. Strats and Teles had dots on all versions that I have seen, but the U.S. versions did not have guards.

I bought mine new back in '04 or so; I know the original specs very well.

Since then, I've seen some spec'd with medium frets instead. Boo. The old-school radius and frets were the main selling points when I bought mine!

That said, there have been plenty of different editions. Many were made for the Japanese domestic market only. They had many more finishes available there, and included pick guards on the Strats and Jazz Basses (not sure about the Teles in regards to JDM ones having guards or not). However, the general construction of the bodies should be the same.

I've also had one guy on here claim that the back is not flat, but, in fact, has a flat center section, with wings that taper away from it. However, I find this claim to be dubious, and the guy never showed up with the pix he promised to prove it. Some pix make it look like that due to an optical illusion. There could have been some like that, but I would have to actually see a good pic to believe it, as I have never seen them spec'd that way, nor a photo of one that way.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
  8. alathIN

alathIN Tele-Holic

Interesting - have a look at my pic at the top of the thread. Is yours more rounded than that?
    Over in this thread https://www.tdpri.com/threads/strat-build-s-3-and-4.920997/
    the OP made his with a 31.5" radius that looks if anything more rounded than the current new model one in my pic at the top of this thread.

I'm being picky like this because I liked the feel of the one in the picture above and my aim would be to get close to that one.

9. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

During the build, the Aerodyne seems less curved than the one in the build thread. But probably just because you see such a wide arc on the radius jig he built. Looking at his finished products, you can see that the Aerodyne is curvier (see the pix at the bottom of this post).

My Aerodyne has the same amount of curve as the one in your OP. So does every one I've ever seen.

I have never measured the radius on the top of my Aerodyne, but I certainly remember the 18" published spec from when I bought the thing from Music 123 back in 2004. And I can tell you that it's easy to see visually that the top is flatter than the fretboard (which is 7 1/4" radius).

These are not shot from the same perspective, so it's hard to see which has more curve. But if you REALLY look, you can see the Aerodyne's top is a bit more arched. Even from a higher perspective, the curve looks similar to the one on the home build from that thread. Equalize the perspectives (i.e. get a lower angle on the Aerodyne), and you would see more arch on the Aerodyne.

20190818_122450.jpg

DSCN2432.JPG

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
    alathIN likes this.
  10. Macrogats

His sled was set up as 31.5, but the actual finished body radius was 30 inches. This is due to where the router bit actually sits below the sled.

For my proposed LP jnr DC build, I’m planning on trying a 25 inch radius as was used on the Rick Turner Model 1 guitars.

11. alathIN

alathIN Tele-Holic

I went back to the guitar store and took some measurements, and calculated 33.858 inches radius.
    My guess is this would be a barely perceptible (or not perceptible) difference from the 30-odd used in the other thread - that's a small segment of a big circle.

This is a current reissue so no idea if it's the same as the original ones. But I did like the feel playing that one so I'll shoot for the same.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.