Aerial Combat

stxrus

Poster Extraordinaire
The hummingbirds have, for the last few days, been engaged in serious aerial combat/dog fighting. This it seems is a result of separating the feeders by about 90’. We were getting too many home incursions by the little guys so we moved the feeders farther apart.
Is seems as though the separation of the feeders has brought more hummingbirds into the area. I believe I can ID at least a dozen individuals.
We have been buzzed, dive bombed, and I have had physical contact on two occasions.

When they are at full tilt combat the flurry of wings, calls, and “thumps” when they hit each other is pretty incredible to watch. I’m surprised I haven’t seen any dead birds around.

Sorry no pix or video but i need to set my camera and iPod up on weighted mic stands and see if I catch some of the action.

We currently are in a lull but about 10 minutes ago it was total chaos. Forget Top Gun or CGI when I’ve got the real thing just outside my doors.

When the hummingbirds are going at each other the Sugar Birds stay away.

arlum

Tele-Afflicted
Platinum Supporter
Always good to have a Mr. Natural among us. You might pry a few folks away from their screens to take a peek outside. It's a wonderful world.

StoneH

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
The hummingbirds have, for the last few days, been engaged in serious aerial combat/dog fighting. This it seems is a result of separating the feeders by about 90’. We were getting too many home incursions by the little guys so we moved the feeders farther apart.
Is seems as though the separation of the feeders has brought more hummingbirds into the area. I believe I can ID at least a dozen individuals.
We have been buzzed, dive bombed, and I have had physical contact on two occasions.

When they are at full tilt combat the flurry of wings, calls, and “thumps” when they hit each other is pretty incredible to watch. I’m surprised I haven’t seen any dead birds around.

Sorry no pix or video but i need to set my camera and iPod up on weighted mic stands and see if I catch some of the action.

We currently are in a lull but about 10 minutes ago it was total chaos. Forget Top Gun or CGI when I’ve got the real thing just outside my doors.

One year the hummingbirds showed up after a hurricane or TS had stripped the flowers. We had 2 feeders hanging near a picture window, and it was like watching piranha attack a carcass (except they were attacking each other). Fifty hummingbirds buzzing two feeders is not an exaggeration.

bgmacaw

Poster Extraordinaire
We've had fewer hummingbirds around this year for some reason but they're pretty scrappy for little birds.

Our big aerial combat so far this year has been between a pair of mockingbirds and the crows. We have a large ground feeder where we put various tidbits out for the crows. The mockingbirds have a nest in nearby bushes and anytime the crows try to go to the feeder, the mockingbirds relentlessly dive bomb them.

stxrus

Poster Extraordinaire
That video was spectacular, StoneH. I may try that to see if they will be attracted. I see the need for full eye protection.

Just a few minutes ago the Sugar Birds were feeding on the sugar I have in the suspended bowl near the closest feeder (15' or so) when a squadron of Hummers came in and chased them off.

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire

Hummingbird wrestling:

Hummingbird Wrestling.jpg

Usually the loser revives after a few minutes. But stress can kill them.

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
I've never witnessed it but I've heard about fights to the death. Up until recently I've always thought of the Humming Birds as cute, passive, creatures. Boy howdy was I wrong!
Usually the death is from exhaustion, but they do stab each other sometimes. Male hummers do nothing but eat and defend their food source - with an occasional brief interlude with a female if he can work it into his schedule. They make a bull moose look like a wimp.

hemingway

Poster Extraordinaire
I like watching crows trying to attack kestrels. The crows are way bigger, but the kestrels are just perfect gliding machines. They stay just out of reach with minimal effort while the crows wear themselves out flapping and fussing.

Aerial ballet, as Harry Nilsson would have said.

Dan German

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
My daughter’s friend yelled at a hummingbird bully, and told him to let others have a chance at the feeder. He’s been less territorial since then, and there are more birds at the feeder. Then again, she’s the same person who played Metallica at a cougar to scare it off, so if I were a hummingbird, I’d pay attention to what she says…

Gnometowner

Tele-Meister
Apparently Hummingbirds love to eat fruit flies. My friend who has so many at her house in Colorado has a flat board on the top of a post near her feeders that she puts apple and pear cores and banana peels. The hummys fly by it with their swallow looking mouth wide open vacumning fruit flies out of the air as they fly past the rotting fruit.
At my place in Crestone, the bears destroyed all our hummingbird feeders and broke the kitchen window for a jar of sugar water in the sink

Old Verle Miller

Tele-Meister
We've had fewer hummingbirds around this year for some reason but they're pretty scrappy for little birds.

Our big aerial combat so far this year has been between a pair of mockingbirds and the crows. We have a large ground feeder where we put various tidbits out for the crows. The mockingbirds have a nest in nearby bushes and anytime the crows try to go to the feeder, the mockingbirds relentlessly dive bomb them.
Yea, crows are notorious nest raiders. Mockingbirds are fearless and especially aggressive during nesting. We love them for the sound, and sorry, but crows are annoying.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member

Some say they won't, but they will KILL each other over those feeders. My wife loves 'em, I'd put the feeders in the trash if it were left up to me. I came back and edited this to add, if you enjoy watching them, by all means do. I enjoyed it until I saw what was going on out there. Now not so much.