1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Advice sought. To build or not to build.

Discussion in 'The BASS Place' started by CapnCrunch, Jan 15, 2021.

1. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

Hey all you Bass guys. I'm pretty new to this sub forum because I've just recently started learning to play the bass. I've played guitar for about 35 years and piano for longer than that. I'm having a lot fun learning to play bass, I have an import Sterling/Musicman 5 string that I got from a good friend who is a phenomenal fusion bassist. I've now played enough to know that I really want a good 4 string P bass. I want that sound.

I've looked at the better quality P bass offerings from Fender, Lakland, Sadowsky and a few others including imports from Schecter and some others. I really want a high quality great playing 4 string P or P/J bass with top quality pickups and hardware. On the other hand, I don't want to spend $1,200-$1,500+ for a bass as simple as a passive Pbass. Champagne taste with a beer budget.

I've built a few Teles and offset guitars from scratch including necks, so I know I can build the kind of quality I want for around $500-$600 because the wood will cost me nothing. On the other hand when I'm done, the guitar will be worth $300 to $400 for a no name bass. I love building guitars so that has some value to me personally, but I'm slammed with work right now and would be perfectly content buying a good guitar.

What do you all think? Can I get a high quality P bass that won't require PU, tuner, and pot swaps used for $600 ish? Thoughts appreciated!

68Telebass likes this.
  2. Bassman8

Bassman8 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I'd say a lightly used Fender Player P bass. The parts you mentioned aren't high end quality but they function well enough to make them good basses out of the box and you can replace them down the road if you want. I have been really impressed with the 3 Mexican Fenders I've gotten in the past few years. The only issues were string misalignment pickup poles (mostly with basses with bridge pickups) and lack of good shielding in the control/pickup cavities which were both easy fixes. One thing to beware of though, the weight of those alder bodies varies and some can be pretty heavy. All IMO of course. Happy Hunting.

CapnCrunch likes this.
  3. Scoops

Scoops Tele-Meister

IMHO, build something!

I understand the low resale factor, but to me, that get's more than offset by playing something nobody else has

5-51P51.jpg

Attached Files:

4. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

IMO the safe route would be to buy a used Player Series bass and swap the pickup(s). The fun way might be to put one together.

I put this guy together a few years ago for around $400. GFS body and neck, Gotoh lightweight tuners, high mass bridge, Tonerider pickup. It's a great playing bass - body is Paulownia so it's super lightweight too, right around 7 lbs (hence the lightweight tuners and high mass bridge).

This last summer I bought a brand new short-scale Fender Player Series Mustang PJ bass for $550 or so on sale. It's a great bass too, but I think the Tonerider in my parts P-Bass sounds better than either of the stock Player Series pickups - deeper, smoother, rounder - like a P-Bass should sound. So if you go the Player Series route, save a bit of cash for new pickups. Other than that though the Player guitars are roadworthy, pro quality guitars.

My parts P-Bass:
    [​IMG]

My Player Series Mustang:
    [​IMG]

Delinquent and CapnCrunch like this.
  5. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 TDPRI Member

Check out the G&L Tribute line. The SB-2 fits the bill. They are imports, but use the same pickups as the USA made options. The quality is really high and they sound great.

IMG_2676.JPG

Or build one and post a crap-ton of pics, cause I love watching that kinda thing :D

6. 68Telebass

68Telebass Friend of Leo's

This!!!

I’m gassing for a straight P bass, and this checks the boxes for me. Love the color with tort guard and maple fretboard. If you want to swap the pickup- that’s an easy “upgrade” but I think the review on these are pretty good.
    My 2 cents- can’t go wrong- If you don’t like, PM me and I’ll try to take it off your hands!! :cool:

7. CapnCrunch

Wow! Claro Walnut and Koa on two of those? Stunning. Claro is my favorite.

8. CapnCrunch

Nice. I looked at GFS last night but was worried the light Paulownia body would give me lots of neck dive. I've got some nice light Alder that I was going to use for a Strat or a Tele, but frankly I've got 5 teles and 2 Strats so don't really need anymore.

On the other hand, I don't have a P bass.........

Dismalhead likes this.
  9. CapnCrunch

That's a cool looking guitar, and I love Maple necks.

Reedt2000 likes this.
  10. 68Telebass

upload_2021-1-16_22-22-15.jpeg

@CapnCrunch - sorry the pic didn’t make it into my first post. Ocean Turquoise with tort...love it or hate it- but it has that maple fretboard you mentioned!

C-Note:cool:

Attached Files:

CapnCrunch and Bassman8 like this.
  11. Rjelecaster

Rjelecaster Tele-Meister

The Harley Benton basses are excellent for the money. Ive got a JB75 and it is pretty much perfect after a pro setup.

CapnCrunch and richiek65 like this.
  12. CapnCrunch

After looking at suggested basses and comparing prices, I've decided to keep my eye out for good used candidates on my local craigslist. Annnnnd, I've also decided to go ahead and build a straight up vintage P bass. Not a PJ, not a P with a Jazz neck, just a good old simple P. I'll give it a top quality PU, hardware and pots, and a pro fret job and set up. It will also get a Fret board/body color combination that you don't often see. Right now I'm thinking one piece Maple neck with aged Fiesta red body.

This could change over the next couple weeks as I get ready to start. I need to fix my band saw and get my garage ready to work in before I start. I moved all of my tools out of my shop, as I'm in the process of turning the shop into a studio. I need to get the garage organized because I just opened the door and shoved the tools in there:oops:.

68Telebass and Reedt2000 like this.
  13. 68Telebass

@CapnCrunch !! That sounds awesome!!!
    I like the idea of aged Fiesta Red!! Matching headstock would be unusual as well...:cool:

Oh, and tort guard...(or not, but tort...:oops:)

CapnCrunch likes this.
  14. Sweet Lou 275

Sweet Lou 275 Tele-Meister

I second. Had an L-2000 Tribute (humbucker) that was a rock for me. Will hold their value as well. Actually sold mine for just a bit more than I paid for it new after 10+ years.

Reedt2000 and CapnCrunch like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.