Advice regarding Direction

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by Bob Sushko, Dec 23, 2018.

1. W.L.Weller

W.L.Weller Tele-Holic

Know any horn players?

How's your drummer?

I'd personally be delighted to come across people playing stuff like this live instead of Brown Eyed Girl.

Bob Sushko likes this.
  2. Bob Sushko

Bob Sushko TDPRI Member

My drummer is killer

W.L.Weller and T Prior like this.
  3. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

Perhaps, but is this what we are discussing here ? No, we are talking about us, as guitar players , making a go of weekly gigs , not attending shows.

Even I will take a night off to go see Eric Johnson. I don't go to clubs anywhere to listen to music, I may go see and visit friends but I don't roam clubs to listen to bands. When I go out I'm on the the bandstand. It's a crazy existence.

As a steady player for near 50 years now, I too have my favorite styles , players and genres. But my REAL favorite thing to do is to answer the phone and accept a gig.

I've played Born In Chicago, Satisfaction and Honky Tonk Woman etc... 10 x more than Brown Eye'd Girl, they all keep me busy, It's the consistent playing thats important, the songs are important, but secondary to improving our task. Play as much as you can wherever you can.

Certainly, find a niche but don't get stuck in a niche which may very well prevent you from getting calls. I don't ask what the set list is, I ask where , when and what time ! Those that call already know if I fit the gig or not or they wouldn't call.

In my early years I took an Orchestral Chord study with a well known local Jazz guy, you know, Satin Doll, Misty..etc...On the weekend gigs I played Beatles and Stones. Quite the contrast. The thing about it is ya never know when someone may want "Satin Doll " or Brown Eye'd Girl attached to a $20 bill. Some call that selling out, I call it playing guitar and pleasing the audience.

Not long ago I was with BAND X, on a bar gig, a guy wants to hear Please Come To Boston, I play that with Band Y. He offers us all a Beer and a $20 bill. I love this song, I played it and sang it . Everyone is happy. Selling out ? Not hardly.

Todays niche is very important, we've all been there. But ask yourself, what will I be playing in 10, 15, 30, or maybe 40 years If I am still playing ? Because it will NOT be the same niche you are focused on today. Brown Eye'd Girl was released in 1967 , this is 2019. We're still playing it. I started playing it in the 70's, stopped playing it for a couple of decades and lo and behold I am playing it again. It's not every gig, but it could be....just depends.

Do what works for you, turning down gigs because you don't like a song or two, to me, makes no sense. Its 3 min over 40 years ! :)

And no, I don't go listen to bands so I can hear Brown Eye'd Girl. Thats what the audience is for. My job is to play it if they ask for it. I am a very un-famous, un-known guitar player but I can and will play Brown Eye'd Girl if its requested. I don't even have to rehearse it ! :)

Speaking of Brown Eye'd Girl, it is a guitar song and we can twist it around and have fun with it. Plus it is built on I, IV and V intervals up, down and across the fret board , useful in multiple applications. Make it fun and different even though it's the same song. And yeh, I know the guitar in the video is not a Tele !

Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
    SparkleFart and Bob Sushko like this.
  4. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Afflicted

I played your clip on iPad and at about 1.25 seconds the brown eyed girl in the kitchen yelled out Brown Eyed Girl.

T Prior likes this.
  5. T Prior

And for some odd reason she knew the song ! Pretty funny !:)

6. Bob Sushko

Bob Sushko TDPRI Member

Thanks everyone for the discussion and great advice!
    Here's my update and focus . . . I'd like to hear more opinions on this of course!

I'm 58, been playing since I was 16, been in every playing situation imaginable from spoken word artists touring the US and Europe to Black Sabbath cover bands to free improv in tiny clubs where a handful of people listened intently.

Sunday night I clinched a deal with a local bar/restaurant where I have played many times with various bands (mostly blues-rock bands), I'll bring my 'Modern Blues Quartet' there every couple of months steady and begin to establish a place where people, who want to hear this stuff, can come and hang out, eat, drink, socialize, dig the music.

As I get settled there and hopefully it blossoms, I'll look for another place away from that area and do the same.

I have always been interested in the spiritual/metaphysical side of music and its ability to communicate and share joy and compassion, it is my hope to create this atmosphere whenever we play.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
    codamedia, SecretSquirrel and T Prior like this.
  7. T Prior

Bob Sushko, .wishing you the best have fun!

Bob Sushko likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.