1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Advice on warming up a bright strat?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by fakeocaster, Dec 26, 2014.

1. fakeocaster

fakeocaster Tele-Afflicted

I have a G&L tribute strat.It has a great neck and trem but it's very bright .any suggestions on a set of pickups to warm it up?

2. Chris S.

Chris S. Asst. Admin

Is it an S-500 or a Legacy? They have different kinds of pickups. CS

3. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Turn the tone knobs down :D

4. gitarzan

gitarzan Tele-Meister

Beat me to it. :p

5. fakeocaster

I know about tone knobs as I usually play teles:D

it's one of the tribute ones.I was more wondering about warmer pickups

6. moonman2

moonman2 Tele-Meister

The cheapest / easiest option would be to replace the pots.
    At the moment, there is probably 250k pots in the guitar (which will allow a lot of "high end / brightness / treble" through. Maybe try installing 300k (or above) pots to reduce the "brightness".

Note that 500k pots are usually fitted in humbucker equiped guitars; but I would imagine these would make your guitar sound a little too dull.
    - but try them out mate, maybe that's what you want.
    (Between 300-500k)

Pots are dirt cheap too.

7. kidmo

kidmo Friend of Leo's

You've got it backwards. They put in 250K pots in teles to tame the brightness and 500K in humbuckers to make them brighter.

8. nic'o'caster

nic'o'caster Tele-Afflicted

Before changing the pups check if there's a treble bleed circuit you could just clip. I did that on a very thin and brittle sounding Strat and it changed everything : now I have perfect tone when volume is around 8 !

9. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Cap change or add too.

10. tap4154

I just found that the G & L Tribute doesn't have the typical Strat tone controls. It has a "Passive Treble & Bass" system which uses both tone pots together to shape the tone for all 3 pups.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/forum/...he-G-amp-L-Legacy-PTB-System-And-How-It-Works

See if you can dial it in using his method. Seems like you'd want to back off the upper tone pot, which cuts bass as it's rolled open, then roll open the bottom pot to taste.

11. Chrismo

Chrismo Friend of Leo's

I would look at overwound or Alnico II pickups. Duncan Alnico II Pros for the neck and middle with a Twangbanger or SSL-5 bridge may help. If you want to step a bit away from the classic Strat vibe, Quarter Pounds would definitely warm up a bright Strat.

12. tap4154

If it does have a "PTB" tone circuit, as I mentioned above, ANY pup will be bright if the upper tone pot is wide open, which progressively cuts bass. I've always heard the G & L pups are great. IMO it may just be his misunderstanding how the G & L tone circuit works.

13. moonman2

moonman2 Tele-Meister

Ah yes, hahaha - didn't read / understand the thread correctly.

My apologies. Lol.

14. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

^^ 0.47 is darker than .022 tone cap...

ce24

15. Chris S.

Chris S. Asst. Admin

Yes, it's a Tribute. But if it's an S500, it has ceramic pickups, and most alnico pickups will be warmer. If it's a Legacy, it already has alnico pickups; a hotter, overwound set might give you what you're after. CS

16. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

OK first is it a S-500 or Legacy? I recently learned about a .001uF cap in the S-500 which apparently gives a much fatter sound. Likely to tame the ceramic MFD's in the S-500. The Legacy does not have this cap. Adding the cap could fatten up tone quite a bit for under $1. Sound clips and more explanation here...
    http://guitarsbyleo.com/FORUM/viewtopic.php?f=115&t=11704

The PTB isn't that much different than a 'normal' tone setup. It's just more versatile. The upper tone pot is a master treble cut. Or master tone control.
    The lower tone pot is a master bass cut. It does the same thing as a 'normal' tone control except it rolls of bass instead of treble.

Also Moonman, you've got it backwards. 250K = warmer than 500K. 500K = warmer than 1Meg.
    The PTB uses a 250K volume, a 500K treble and a 1Meg bass.
    You want to keep the 1Meg bass, otherwise on '10' you will have some bass being rolled off, which will make the sound even thinner.
    Swapping to a 250k tone may warm it up slightly, but IMO, there's no need, when you can roll the tone back to '8' or '9' and achieve the same effect as a 250K pot, with a 500K or 1Meg pot.

A 250K treble pot, simply bleeds off more high end on '10' than a 500K or 1Meg pot on '10' IMO higher value pots are usually better (unless they mess with taper) because you get more signal/frequencies to the output jack, and can easily compensate to give the same effect as a lower value pot by rolling the high value pot back, slightly.

17. fakeocaster

Thanks guys

18. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

?

It would help us help you, if we know this.

19. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

I had my tech put a treble-bleed into a vintage tele and snipped it out about 3 days later. Wanted to see if any advantage - most certainly not in my case.

Caused a thin, treble, tinny sound all around, the guitar lost it's personality and sounded like crapola.

Wonder why it works for some but not for others...maybe because I do a few jazz standards so losing highs when the volume is dropped works for me.

20. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

It depends on the pickups the amp and the values chosen for the treble bleed. If you just randomly slap one in it probably won't sound good

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.