Advice on Tele trade, for Gibson.. help me out fellas!!

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by SlimPickens, Jan 28, 2014.

1. SlimPickens

SlimPickens TDPRI Member

Hey Fellas, once again Im looking for yalls opinions and advice.

I have a custom Tele, its a 1990s model USA "Tummy cut" Tele, has had a Bigsby Tremelo professionally installed on it as well as supposedly a handwound/custom in the bridge and if I recall correctly it has a broadcaster in the neck position. This is in a Orangish/Amber sunburst and is a Swampash body. Its in mint condition. It Also has had a 69 RI thinline tele neck installed for that chunky feel. I do not have the stock neck. This is an immaculate guitar and plays and sounds extremely nice. I got a wild hair and wanted to see what was out there for a hotter guitar, more rockish if you will. I was offered a Gibson Premium Plus Studio Les Paul in a translucent black. Looks pretty nice but the rear of the neck looks to either be reliced or just played alot as it is worn thru the paint finish, most likely sanded I would say, and one of the pickups is not stock. It is a P90 Gibson from the looks.of it. Gibson has gold hardware. It looks pretty nice, not exactly what I want but it is a Gibson. Of course I will have a guy that knows Gibsons.look it over for me and make sure its authentic. So heres my questions...

How does a straight swap sound. Guitar for guitar..

Does anyone own a Gibson LP Premium plus Studio w rosewood fretboard

What is the Gibson worth and will it hold its value, is it a good model to own?

I will post this and start letting the responses come in and in the meantime I will try to figure out how to post pictures on here.. if yall have advice on that then lemme know. I will be posting them directly from my smartphone.. I know.images of the two will help in many ways for yall to advise me. Please help me out and tell me what yall would do.. lemme know if value is gnna be there and if this specifi. Gibson guitar is a good model to have.. thanks

2. SlimPickens

SlimPickens TDPRI Member

Heres pics of the guitars in question

Attached Files:

3. freshthreat

freshthreat Tele-Meister

Sounds like a strait swap to me. But Purple with gold hardware would be a turn off...(subjective of course). Oops just looks purple my bad.

4. Big tuna

Big tuna Tele-Holic

the Gibson if real ? since yours is not stock would be worth the trade in my opion. neck pu has been changed in lp from looks but that can be easy fix if wanted.that color is strange for a studio model but nowdays strange is the norm.check it out good !!

5. Mr_Mer

Mr_Mer Tele-Holic

Does Gibson Les Pauls hold their value? Yes they do, but Studio models not so much (unless they are MIJ variety).

If it is a possibility for you, wait and save $700 (seen a few around $500) and buy a used one instead of swapping. Your Tele is very nice looking... and that Translucent Black is not pleasing to many folk's eyes.

6. stevieboy

stevieboy Poster Extraordinaire

Pickup is not a P90, a P90 wouldn't fit there. It is possibly a Gibson P 94, a humbucker sized sort of P90. Other companies make similar pickups, but the P94 has that black surrounded by chrome design. Lollar, who makes great pickups, makes one that looks like that, the Lollar has a little more chrome rounded in the corners, a closer pic might help but that looks more like the Gibson. There might be a model or two by other builders with that design as well. Anyway, it's probably a good pickup, and the Gibson would be a good guess.

7. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Once you have established authenticity of the LP, my thought is if you want a Les Paul and you are ready to part with your very pretty partscaster, go for it! I love the tone of Gibby LP Studios, but could not find a new one in my price range with a good fret job.

Good luck.

8. SlimPickens

SlimPickens TDPRI Member

Thanks for the advice so far guys.. my tele is very pretty, very mint and asthetically pleasing as well as tonally.. it is a tone machine.. the lp I also agree is an off color that I do not care for and if I were to get it I would have to pull that finish of it and do it in a finsh that I preferred and have a custom lp that I could love to have looked at. However I know that this would kill its value as well. Keep the advice comin.. I was suprised to find the value of the studio at $50", ive got that much in my neck and bigsby on my tele. When it came out years ago it was a high end usa model, im wanting to say a deluxe but I cant remember which ones were swampash plus the tummy cut body. And I love the finish on it.. very pleasing.

9. Vanzant

Vanzant Tele-Afflicted

Keep the tele until you find a Gibson that has everything you're looking for... this Gibson doesn't seem like "the one". Plus, that tele looks sweet!

10. JP Lace Master

JP Lace Master Tele-Meister

don't do it man, that tele is awesome, les Paul's are overrated and if you have been using a tele for some time, a change to a Gibson will take a lot of getting used to.

11. Troubleandahalf

Troubleandahalf Tele-Holic

Your Tele is way nicer than that Paula. Wait for a better one, better yet keep the Tele!

12. kidmo

kidmo Friend of Leo's

Not sure how much you paid for yours, it's still a partscaster, which will bring the value down somewhat regardless of "improvements". Every time you mod a Fender model you reduce your target buyers when it's time for resale because you are focusing on a specific sound or look that will not appeal to most buyers. They prefer a "base" to work from to make it their own.
    The Gibson is a Studio. No matter what other label they use, "Premium", "Pro" or whatever, it's still a Studio and price should remain stable around $700.

13. rokdog49

rokdog49 Friend of Leo's

Keep the Tele

14. SlimPickens

SlimPickens TDPRI Member

Thanks yall, your right.. and my Tele has been with me along long time. I guess if I need a hotter guitar itd be more feasable to just heat up the pups in mine with some new ones. The neck I do believe I will change once again and go to a different profile more like my others. Its the only one that stands out from my other guitars which are a 1959 Gretsch Single Annie, 2012 Usa strat w/Noiseless, 2003 Custom Tele Special, Hagstrom Super Sweede, Mid 80s strat(in rebuild process) and.... well I thought I had more guitars lol..strangely enuff, the 2003 tele special has been my go to heavy guitar lately.. even tho it started out as a squire, with a nice neck and some hot gfs pups, its a real rocker.. thoroughly suprised. Anyways.. back to my tele.. again, yalls right cause even tho its a partscaster, it did start out as an American Deluxe model, so its still yet a premium guitar whether its original or not. I dont know much about Gibsons, and when I was offered it, I thought surely it was worth alot more, but suprisingly I find that he has it for sale for $550. I may just buy it cheaper and redo the finish and have a bind added and do the pups and have me a nice lp..anyone have any advice why not to do that? Im not worried about value since its a lower end Gibson anyways. I just want to build a premium guitar to my specs without spending $2000 plus on a standard model and still having to put money in mods. Is a studio a good gibson styled base to start from? Any reason I shouldnt use it as a build base? Btw..ill put more pics of my tele up later.. thanks guys!!

15. August_West

August_West Tele-Meister

I've had 3 Les Pauls, and a 336 semi-hollow with 57 pups, I was a dyed in the wool humbucker dude (like many rockers) UNTIL I played a tele. My tele, with overdrive crunch thru my mesa 50W rectifier, blow the humbuckers away. To my ears, the HB is muddy when compared to a good single coil. It seems like most teles we see out and about are the played in clean channel mode to get the big country twangy sound (the signature tele sound we all love), but IMHO the single coil has a nice nasty bite and makes the HB sound muddy. I've dumped all my Gibsons, and now have a hard tail strat for that spongy bell ringer clean & use my tele for rock n roll crunch, and sometimes do the twang with my tele on the clean channel. The Tele is a Rock n Roll monster!! Keep it! :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.