Advice on switching speakers for Fender Vibrosonic 1973

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by saintgerty, Jan 28, 2020.

1. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

I sat right next to a pedal steel player doing a long run of a play amazing the low notes and chords crystal clear that that instrument can produce

2. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Chiogtr4x, I once set up a 5D6 Bassman...the first 4X10 Bassman...for a pedal steel player. That amp is not an ideal steel amp. Before I did it, I asked him what volumes he played. Since he was not looking for high volume, I knew I could make it work for him. Note: He bought the amp in the ‘50’s.
    When he came to pick it up, he brought his steel....fully set up...said he never broke it down. I plugged him in and went back to work. After some minutes of listening to him play, I asked him what he thought. He put his bar up high on the low string on the C6 neck, picked the string and slid the bar all the way down and lifted off letting that low note ring loud and clear. He looked up at me and said with a big grin: “I have never been able to do that!”

side note: I always get confused about these Vibr-Sonic amps. The first ones were 5G/6G amps and were called Vibrasonics. The SF models were called Vibrosonics, and the CS amp with the mods in it were called Vibrasonics. Maybe O can remember tis from now on...but I doubt it. I am not getting any younger....

Vibrolux59 and BobbyZ like this.
  3. 63 vibroverb

63 vibroverb Tele-Afflicted

Eminence Big Ben

4. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

I like the Big Ben, too. It is out of production, though, it seems.

5. 63 vibroverb

Some sellers still carry some in stock. You can still custom order it from Eminence, any impedance you want.

Wally likes this.
  6. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Afflicted

I own and play a Custom Vibrasonic. It's really like owning two amps in one. The "Steel" channel is really just a Twin Reverb Channel to my ears, with my Telecasters. While, the "Guitar" channel is something totally different. My Teles don't sound good in that channel, but my ES-175 with humbuckers sounds great there. It's a very good amp. Built well with real wood cab and plywood, screwed-in speaker baffle. The stock Eminence/Fender Special Design speaker sounds a whole lot like an EV15L to my old ears. The trick with getting this amp to really show what it can do, was great advice from Wally regarding this amp....use very good tubes and set the bias correctly. There's absolutely not a thing wrong with these Zinky-designed PCB based amps and the stock speaker.

63 vibroverb likes this.
  7. 63 vibroverb

Love that amp - I still have mine. Thinking of selling my Prosonic to get a 2nd Vibrasonic, but I'm not sure. It needed some changes to the circuit to really open it up though. Stock, it was too scooped and polite sounding. After the mods, it's become one of my favorites though. Balls and articulation at the same time.

Telecastoff1 likes this.
  8. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

My neighbor has an orange frame D130F he mentioned he may sell.

9. 39martind18

39martind18 Tele-Afflicted

soundspeakerrepair.com has a pretty much drop-in recone kit for the D130 for $100 + about 10 for shipping. I've used their kits on two JBLs: a K120 and E120. The process takes about 3-4 hours over a couple of days, but if you can read a diagram, or watch a video, it is REALLY simple to do. Both speakers I did are in pretty much constant gigging use and sound great. Another possibility is that I have two E130 frames I'm planning to rebuild. I'm planning to keep one and sell the other for about $175 + shipping. Shipping will be a bit expensive as the E130s are quite heavy, but if your interested...

10. schmee

I tried the pre assembled cone kit once on a D130. It sounded the same after I was done than it did before! UGH wasted $110.
    I dont know what was wrong with that speaker, maybe the magnet was off alignment or something...
    For playing get an old EV15B and never look back.$75-100
    Save the JBL to stay with the amp.

Wally likes this.
  11. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

If the magnet was out of alignment you would've spotted the pole piece in the voice coil gap being off center. Did it rub before or after?

12. schmee

It was weird for a JBL, it had this general grainy sound, not real clean like a JBL, but not a specific voice coil rub either. More like a very low watt cheap speaker. Go figure. Having had probably a dozen of them in the last 20 years, it was like no other.

13. BobbyZ

That is weird !
    Wonder what was going on with it. You've obviously had enough experience with JBLs to know something was goofy. Any ideas?

14. schmee

I really dont know, I just wonder if the magnet was just a few thousanths off center, not enough to cause a huge rub sound but enough to make it sound that way. ?

15. BobbyZ

Or maybe the magnet was weak? Or it could've possible been broken but still held together somehow? If a magnet breaks the parts don't want to stay together because of the north south pole thing we learned about in grade school science.

schmee likes this.
  16. schmee

Which begs the question: has anyone ever took the cover off a JBL speaker magnet? For some reason, I haven't ever thought of that... or how it's attached...

17. BobbyZ

That made me look at the orange and gray frame D120Fs in the amp I'm using for a foot rest right now. I have no idea what holds those on! Most covers are just sheet metal with a screw in the middle under a label that says something like "Jensen" or "Utah". The JBL cover looks like a cast piece, it's thick, and it's got a hole in the middle with the screen.
    I'm not feeling inclined to get out a pipe wrench and hammer to satisfy my curiosity. . . .

18. schmee

I wonder if the magnet is actually shaped that way, and there is no cover?

19. BobbyZ

Got to thinking about the way JBLs are put together and knew I'd seen a video. Found it!
    No wonder they were so expensive back in the day! A D131 which became the D120 was over double the price of a Jensen P12N in 1960. Here's a link to one of the videos.

Oh yeah the K series had the same kind of magnet assembly as the earlier D series.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.