Advice on switching speakers for Fender Vibrosonic 1973

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by saintgerty, Jan 28, 2020.

1. saintgerty

saintgerty TDPRI Member

Hi, I have an old beast which is breaking down repeatedly, the speaker has been fixed so much it needs a replacement. I have the orange label JBL D130F.... should I buy that same speaker again? or .... I was maybe thinking of opting for something different. Should I buy a vintage played in set or something newer? I loved the D130F sound so Im hoping to keep the warm vintage tone... what would you guys and grrls recommend?

The Fender Vibrosonic specs
    100W
    Push pull pot/master

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
    Vibrolux59 likes this.
  2. Vibrolux59

Vibrolux59 Tele-Meister

IMO a single D120 isn't nearly enough speaker for your wattage. Didn't those amps come with 15" speakers originally?

I'm not sure of the wattage rating but I might try an Electro-Voice Model EVM 15L.
    I have one in my Port-o-flex bass amp. Great sound. (200 watts?)

Wally likes this.
  3. saintgerty

saintgerty TDPRI Member

Yeah sorry, typo D130F... edited it... this is a 15" speaker

Vibrolux59 likes this.
  4. Vibrolux59

Vibrolux59 Tele-Meister

So that's still an old 50-watt speaker in a 100 watt amp. I'd look for a higher power rating speaker of some sort. I'm sure you'll get some great recommendations here.

5. Lowerleftcoast

Lowerleftcoast Tele-Holic

Weber makes a knockoff of the d130. Weber California 15 80w and 175w. I have no experience with it.

6. jguitarman

jguitarman Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I have that same amp with a 15" orange Fender JBL D130. I can't find anything definitive on the internet as to the power handling but I absolutely don't see Fender putting a 50w speaker in a 100w amp. My speaker is original to the amp and is not blown. If it was 50w it would have blown long ago.
    I also have a BF Twin and I've noticed the Vibrosonic is quieter even after have it gone through by Skip Simmons.

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  7. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Why not recone the JBL?

That amp been serviced yet? It's really a Twin Reverb with a 15 and an 8 ohm output transformer. Almost without fail every SFTR you open up has never been serviced at all or right. They sound better afterwards.

tubelectron and Straydogger like this.
  8. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Fender had a history of putting speakers in those amps you could blow if you cranked the amp. People that did blew speakers. A lot of people didn't simply because they're so darn loud long before you get um wound up that they didn't wind um up. That's the only reason you still see OEM speakers in them at all now.

Vibrolux59 and Straydogger like this.
  9. Lowerleftcoast

Lowerleftcoast Tele-Holic

It is loud. Something like 103-104db spl 1watt/1mtr.

BobbyZ likes this.
  10. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I would:
    -Recone the JBL. You like it. Weber does it or others.
    -Buy an EV15B speaker, they aren't that much and killer speakers... and something like 400 watts! I like it much better than the JBL's I had.
    -There are other good new 15's out there too.
    -The Cali's I've had just don't sound JBL to me. They have their own sound, but it ain't JBL to my ears.

saintgerty likes this.
  11. 39martind18

39martind18 Tele-Holic

JBL E-130. power rated at 150 WRMS, only downside: heavy as hell!

Straydogger likes this.
  12. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Keep the D. It's a $300 speaker. You can still get quality cones. Any speaker will blow eventually. It's fifty years old.

Or, keep and store it. A Emi Legend 15 would be a moderate cost replacement of good performance.

tubelectron likes this.
  13. AndyPanda

AndyPanda Tele-Holic

The one I had back in the 70's had a Fender branded orange Cerwin Vega 15" and I did my best to try and blow it (mini moog) but never had any trouble with it other than the weight. Those JBL speakers were solid too but I never much cared for the sound of the JBL (too midrangy, not enough bottom). If there is room, I'd put an EVM15L in there ... they sound great and are all over craigslist (at least here where I live)... the JBL, even needing recone is worth more to sell than it would ever be worth to me to play thru.

14. elpico

elpico Tele-Holic

That speaker was designed by a fellow named Harvey Gerst and he was active in online discussions in the mid 1990s. You should be able to find his old postings if you like, but the short answer is that "definitive" power ratings for speakers don't exist. A certain sound played at 25 watts may blow a speaker while a different sound played at 40 watts doesn't. JBL's own catalog and spec sheets listed different power ratings for the d130 over time. 20w and then 25w were the early numbers quoted for it's original Hi-Fi use. When fender started buying large quantities of jbl speakers Harvey tested them with a guitar signal and a 200w amp. He found that the speakers could handle a lot more power in this use than hi-fi and rated them at 60w for that purpose but it's still just a guess or guideline. It depends very much on what you're playing. A guy playing doom metal with sustained, low frequency, distorted sounds is gonna blow a speaker at a much lower power level than a guy who's chicken picking.

Harvey was very clear that increasing the power rating from 25w to 60w was not due to any physical changes to the speaker. The original d130f was absolutely identical to the hi-fi d130. At that time the "F" suffix was being used simply to track warranty returns under their contract with fender. Later he made two changes to the d130F, a slightly wider voice coil gap and a high viscosity oil applied to the surround, but they were intended to reduce failures due to other reasons like poor mounting and outdoor use.

jguitarman, saintgerty and Teleguy61 like this.
  15. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Friend of Leo's

16. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

I would use an EV. Ommv. For a more economical and lighter thing, the Eminence Legend 1518 is a very good speaker.

AndyPanda and saintgerty like this.
  17. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

Is a Vibrasonic the same circuit/power as a Twin, just with a 15"?
    ( think that's what I remember from my old Fender amp books, but I may be wrong )

18. Wally

Yes, the SF era Vibrasonic is a TR with the 1x15 speaker. The later Custom Shop Vibrasonic has one channel set up for pedal steel use while the other channel is pointed at guitar use.

19. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

Was it aimed towards steel players?
    ( some of my steel buddies in my old Country Band days, dug the 15" amps)

20. Wally

the SF Vibrasonics were not specifically aimed at steel players. Imho, those need just a bit of finessing to get the amp to an ideal status for steel. A TR is in the same boat...obviously. As I noted, the CS ?Vibrasonic .reverb had a channel pointed right at steel players.

Chiogtr4x likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.