1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Advice on speaker upgrade for Traynor YGM-3

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by GopherWater, May 15, 2020.

1. GopherWater

GopherWater TDPRI Member

I just picked up a '72 Traynor YGM-3 Guitar Mate Reverb. It's exactly what I was looking for in wattage, size, etc. but it has an old Utah speaker in it that I'm not liking much. It sounds stiff and muddy with this big round midrange hump that I can't dial out. I love everything else about the amp and I definitely want to hang onto it. Anyone else have experience with a YGM-3?? What worked for you?? Don't wanna spend a ton but I wanna find the right match. Just wanna get some presence and sparkle with this thing to go with its beautiful reverb and trem. Thanks!

tah1962 likes this.
  2. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

Eminence / Alessandro GA-SC64. Great speaker for all sorts of things.

Take the one million screws off the back panel. Run it open back or with a truncated (cut down) back panel.

noname_dragon, Jlwctn, gitold and 2 others like this.
  3. GopherWater

GopherWater TDPRI Member

I did remove the back panel! Definitely helped soften things up and spread some air around.

4. GopherWater

GopherWater TDPRI Member

b0mp

Attached Files:

Jlwctn and thankyouguitar like this.
  5. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

+1 Great speaker!

6. 5stringsdown

5stringsdown Tele-Meister

I agree the Eminence GA s64 is a great speaker, but it’s very warm and fat.....not what I would use if I wanted more sparkle.
    A Celestion V-type is a great speaker for what you want.... tight low end, clear, open high end and no excessive midrange hump....especially no low midrange hump.
    The first stock speaker I haven’t wanted to swap out of an amp for something else.
    They are also very reasonably priced.....take a little while to break in so be patient but I even prefer it to the Celestion Creamback 65 I have.
    Just my .02 cents!

GopherWater likes this.
  7. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Friend of Leo's

Has the amp been serviced? What you perceive as " stiff & muddy " could be the result of almost half a century old filter caps. I would investigate that possibility before I'd spring for a new speaker. :cool:

8. ritten70

ritten70 TDPRI Member

Eminence made me a Private Jack with their “dial-speaker sensitivity - thingy” on it that lives in my YGM-3. I really like it. They did a Cannibus Rex the same way, but I like the British flavor in the Traynor.
    Paul

9. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire

I find that amp really mid-heavy which is great if that is your goal, but if you want it to clean up, go with a more scooped speaker. Think anything that works with a Blackface Fender, maybe the G12H30 for example.

10. 63 vibroverb

63 vibroverb Tele-Afflicted

I’d go for the Mojotone BV30H or the Eminence Wizard (both really good copies of the G12H30)

11. Tone Chase

Tone Chase Tele-Meister

I have a 1976 partial open back YGM3.

Speakers I have liked, and for various reasons.

Celestion G12H30, nice and Fender like. It came with this speaker when I bought it. I had other amps with this good speaker, but...

Celestion Greenback, nice breakup, and adding a 212 Traynor DH cab with Greenbacks gets crunchier. However, there has to be more...

Eminence Reignmaker with the FDM feature allows you to dial in sweet spots in a British flavour. Also the Maverick does the same thing with an American flavour. Both these speakers went into my Garnet 212 Session Man combo and they are staying in that flexible, old, charming amp.

Tried a stock Marsland from my Garnet. Didn’t like.

Tried a Peavey Black Widow, but much too hifi.

Tried Jensen Neo speakers, both original and the newer version.
    Didn’t like the original, liked the newer version, but it wound up in my Mesa 5 25 Express Plus combo. Love it in that amp. Really surprised me how much I liked it in the Mesa, and brought the weight of the combo down.

I put the Mesa V30 from the Express Plus into the YGM3 to break it in. I usually like Mesa V30 speakers when they are broken in. Within a few weeks of playing it sounds amazing. I think it is staying in the old Traynor. I can really appreciate how the amp sounds in both settings of the bright switch. Absolutely lovely. I didn’t hear this classy sound in both settings, with any of the other speakers. It was an either/or thing, or not at all.

My YGM3 has been well gone through by Dean Zink in Michigan. He made it a sweet amp. He talked me out of modding the amp. Very glad he did.
    The Traynor is one of my keeper amps. Very few people understand how good these non master volume amps really are, and how much magic can come from so few knobs. Really stunningly good trem and reverb.

Heavy and big for what these amps are by today’s smaller gigging standards. Built like a tank.
    image.jpg

12. RWB

RWB TDPRI Member

My YGM-3 is a 1975 model as far as I can tell. I bought it a few years ago. It needed new power supply caps and power tubes. Also, the back panel was missing so I made a partial one.

I figured I'd need to replace the speaker, but the original one (Marsland?) sounds just fine for daily home practice. I don't need to gig with it since I have another amp for that. And hopefully I'll be using it in the near future...

Anyway yes, these old Traynor amps are great and are very well built.

13. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

If you’re looking to brighten things up a little, check out the Eminence JS1250 (Josh Smith Sig speaker). Different circuit, but I didn’t care for the SC64 in my 6G3 as there was too much “warmth” (mids), but the JS1250 is perfect to my ears. Conversely in a mid scooped amp like a BF the Alessandro is a great fit.

14. ritten70

ritten70 TDPRI Member

I should add that I tried a couple other speakers in addition to the Private Jack. A little 10” Celestion greenback I thought was great, especially as far as sitting in the mix in a band situation. I probably wouldn’t have changed it but that speaker already has a home. Also tried a Jensen Neo 15” that I personally didn’t care for, but I’ve never really liked that speaker. Maybe I just like something other than the Jensen sound?

15. LoveHz

LoveHz Tele-Holic

My YBA-1 Bassmaster head sounds great hitched to a cab fitted with either an Eminence Wizard or Celestion G12 100. They are very different sounding speakers but I can't say one is better than the other. Which ever floats your boat.

16. Vermoulian

Vermoulian Tele-Meister

Recently I played my SF Deluxe Reverb through a cabinet with Celestion G12H30s in it, and the difference was pretty much just what you appear to be looking for. Other people have mentioned the G12H30, and I will echo that recommendation.

17. johnnylaw

johnnylaw Tele-Afflicted

I bagged a used Maverick to help dial out the mud on an amp. I like this speaker alot. The attenuation is definitely useful in that the amp becomes much more useful/flexible; more valuable on a non MV amp.

18. Shaky

Shaky NEW MEMBER!

Hello; New here...I have a 1976 YGM4 (4x8"). Love the Amp and wanted to hear it through a 12" speaker. I bought a 112 8 Ohm cab and like how it's different (not better). I'd like to use both but plugging in the Ext. Cab disconnects the internal speakers. Any suggestions on how to Mod. the Ext. Jack without changing the 8 Ohm load requirement?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.