Advice on Rock smith

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by scat4me, Jan 30, 2015.

1. scat4me

scat4me Tele-Afflicted

My kids have been plying rock smith at a friends home and really like it. I want to get it for them but don't know what format or system would be the best to use. Any advice? WII PS4 XBOX ?

2. bparnell57

bparnell57 Poster Extraordinaire

Any of them are fine but I'm willing to bet the playstation would be best as it has better sound capabilities and inputs I believe. My PS3 version runs very well.

3. Mullet Man

Mullet Man Tele-Meister

Whichever system you all ready have

If you don't have to buy a console, don't. The program is available on all the consoles and PC.

4. scat4me

scat4me Tele-Afflicted

I don't have any system right now. That is why if I am going to invest in one I want to make sure I get whatever is best. Can it be run from a laptop hooked to a smart TV ?

5. Gautfrid

Gautfrid Banned

Yes, if the laptop has HDMI out. Or the TV has VGA in...

6. 2groggy

2groggy Tele-Meister

I've have RS for the PS3 for over a year and recently bought it for the PC too because I found a whole community that creates and shares custom DLC (Downloadable content). Check out customsforge.com. There are thousands of additional songs, mostly for the PC version

7. scat4me

scat4me Tele-Afflicted

I was considering buying an inexpensive laptop to run it on. Which would have better clarity and function ? The laptop or a ps4

8. 2groggy

2groggy Tele-Meister

From having both PC and PS3 versions, here's a quick comparison:

The PC version is controlled by the keyboard, so even if you use video out to a larger monitor or TV, you still have to reach the keyboard. The game console will connect to the same display, but is controlled by the wireless controllers. Game system controls are way better. Fore example in multiplayer mode (i.e. 2 cables, 2 guitars), a game system has two controllers, but a PC only has one keyboard.

Sound can be output to the TV or a separate stereo. But only the PC version can be portable (on a laptop).

The PC version got installed in a cloud service called Steam. So you may be able to log in and run it from different computers. I need to check into this. I don't know if I could have installed it to the hard drive but just clicked a wrong checkbox.

On the PC version, I had to tinker with the latency settings to because the video lagged behind the audio. There is a setting for it and I got it fixed up, but I never had to do it with the PS3.

So the PS3 is better for the man-cave.

The PC version is better for portability and access to thousands of CDLC songs.

A note about the CDLC though... Being created by hobbyists, many don't have the dynamic difficulty or riff repeater working quite right. But being free, they are worth more than you pay for them.

I'll post more if anything pops to mind.

9. Gautfrid

Gautfrid Banned

It's all about latency and sound quality.

A laptop needs to meet or exceed these specs, and have a decent sound card

Minimum:

• Processor:2.40 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo T7700.
    • Graphics: 256 MB DirectX 9.0c- compliant with Shader Model 3.0 or higher (see supported list)
    • Memory:2 GB RAM.
    • Hard Drive:12 GB HD space.
    • Sound: DirectX- compatible.
    Recommended:

• Processor:3.06 GHz Intel Core i3-540 or 3.30 GHz Athlon II X3 455 or better
    • Memory:4 GB RAM
    • Graphics:256 MB DirectX 9.0c- compliant with Shader Model 3.0 or higher (see supported list)
    • Hard Drive:12 GB HD space
    • Sound: DirectX- compatible]
    I run Rocksmith from a 17" laptop, and from a PC with a Soundblaster Audigy Rx into 5:1 speakers and a 28" monitor. The laptop meets the recommended specs, the PC exceeds them.

The latter offers the better experience

10. 2groggy

2groggy Tele-Meister

Is RS installed locally or in the cloud on Steam?
    I bought the PC version to take with me on business trips so I might be better off with it installed on the HD.

11. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Friend of Leo's

Get a used PS3 and the new version (2014) of Rocksmith with cable. That works like a charm. Just hook up the external sound via the included RCA jacks as the directions suggest. It's the best way to avoid latency. You may need an RCA to stereo aux adapter depending on your external amp choice. The adapter is dirt cheap. I think this would be the least expensive way to have the most fun for your kids.

[​IMG]

I need the adapter because I run the sound through my little Bose Soundlink.

12. drmoniker

drmoniker TDPRI Member

I have the original. Great on PS3. Some issues on my budget (cheap) laptop - freezing, latency, etc. Overall I like the pc version because I don't have to fight for a tv. I'll probably buy the new version for the console at some point and for the pc if I upgrade to one with suitable specs.

13. Gautfrid

Gautfrid Banned

I ran the install (actually verification disc, gotta love Steam ;) ) disc on my laptop, and then accessed Rocksmith via my Steam account on the PC.

14. Freejack

Freejack Friend of Leo's

I have to take issue with this. Custom DLC is not created by the Rocksmith folks so the artists are not being compensated.

Carl

15. Freejack

Freejack Friend of Leo's

I'd recommend getting the first Rocksmith as well. You get another 50 songs that isn't available in 2014 (you do have to pay an additional $10 transfer fee though) plus if you're on the PC, you get access to all the RS1 DLC.

On the PS3 and XBox, you get access to the RS1 DLC without RS1. On the PC, Steam doesn't permit you to buy DLC for a game you don't own so you have to have RS1.

And there are problems with the PS4 and XBOne they're still working out. Might be just the XB, I don't keep up on the consoles.

And it you're in Europe or Australia, there are many Sony issues.

Carl

16. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I have both versions for the Xbox 360. You may be able to find a 360 for a very attractive price and, as a bonus, it handles the game exceptionally well. the updated smaller black colored models have HDMI out for connection, but both component and RGB outputs are available.

17. scat4me

scat4me Tele-Afflicted

So the rock smith 2014 doesn't have all of the songs? I figured they would all be included. Do I buy the original and upgrade or 2014 and then buy additional songs?

18. Freejack

Freejack Friend of Leo's

You'd buy the original game and purchase the upgrade license for $10. That transfers all the on-disk songs except for 5 where the original licensee declined to give permission for the transfer:

Run Back To Your Side - Eric Clapton
    Sunshine of Your Love - Cream
    Jules - Seth Chapala
    The Star Spangled Banner - Seth Chapala
    Boss - Chris Lee

Seth Chapala went to Bandfuse which may be why they didn't transfer (Bandfuse went under BTW). Chris Lee was a note tracker but I don't recall if there was a reason his didn't transfer.

On the PS3 and XBox360, the original Downloadable Content that was made available for the 2 years following the release is available without having to purchase the first version of Rocksmith.

Steam has the problem which they're slowly working on. There may be original DLC (not on disk tunes) you can get but only about half have been massaged enough to permit transfer without owning Rocksmith.

There's some mess no matter which platform you're on.

Carl

19. Freejack

Freejack Friend of Leo's

And to note, The Riff Repeater has quite a lot of info including the list of songs available for both software versions.

http://www.theriffrepeater.com/

Carl

20. frankg11

frankg11 Tele-Holic

Great game. I have 700 hours on it. I run it on my Mac and Xbox 360. Runs well both places. I spend most of my time on steam and my Mac. I also have a ABY and run my gear instead of the i game amp.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.