Advice on Removing Existing Strings and Re-Stringing

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Digiplay, Feb 8, 2020.

What is your preferred method for re-stringing?

1. 1) Remove and replace one string at a time.

55 vote(s)
    35.9%
  2. 2) Loosen and cut all strings.

98 vote(s)
    64.1%
  1. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

Never really thought about this, didn't realize there were so many firmly held opinions. I change 'em one at a time, for no particular reason, unless I'm cleaning the fretboard, which I don't do nearly often enough.

The only real iron-clad rule is a resonator guitar. Nevah evah take the tension off the cone -- rattles are waiting to pounce if you do.

WingedWords likes this.
  2. Slim Chance

Slim Chance Tele-Afflicted

From the horse's mouth. All strings off.

3. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

For simply changing strings (no set up) always 1 at a time on any guitar. If the guitar's getting a set up it doesn't matter.

4. Fretting out

Fretting out Friend of Leo's

Only time I get nervous is if it’s on my lap and I’m stretching the high b or e string

5. tele_savales

tele_savales Tele-Holic

I know one thing, if I can help it, I will never put another string on a non-locking tuner. It's like living in the stone age.

6. Muku

Muku Tele-Meister

I blue painters tape the edge of the body, under the fretboard next to the neck and PU covers at every change.
    (Unless I am gigging a lot and replace sets a week).
    Maple necks need cleaning too.
    But rosewood fretboards need conditioning twice a year with a Guitar fretboard oil.
    Clean all the way around the base of the frets using 0000 steel wool.
    Make those frets shiny! That will pay off with more emotive vibrato and slinky-ease bends.

Do all 6 strings at once. Spend 15-30 minutes cleaning everything.

7. cloroxat

cloroxat TDPRI Member

All.....
    Acoustic only here...... someone commented above that you shouldn't take all your strings off at once if you're playing an acoustic. Why is it different than a solid body, although I can pretty much "feel" the differencein my bones.
    But my real question really was why do you guys snip strings? I always unwind the string with a winder and remove the string from the peg.

8. Brocephus

Brocephus TDPRI Member

I was surprised this was a serious post. Even if you've never had any issues, common sense should tell you it's far from ideal to almost instantly drop the tension to zero. It's kind of the same principle as warming up an engine on a freezing day,or starting off with lighter weight at the gym, or gradually exposing an acoustic guitar to drastic temp differences,etc. (why would anyone not ?)
    Loosening a few strings is hardly a "fuss", it might take almost a whole minute ! Ever since I had a neck twist on me (back in the 80's on a sweet '57 re-issue strat), I've tried to be as gentle on my necks as I could. I would never in a million years just snap off all the strings at full tenison. :eek:

9. galaxiex

galaxiex Tele-Afflicted

I don't cut them ALL at once.
    I snip 'em one at a time.

From the link below...

https://www.dummies.com/art-center/music/guitar/removing-old-guitar-strings/

10. 39martind18

39martind18 Tele-Afflicted

My electric hollowbodies are equipped with Roland GK3 synth pickups that are mounted on plates that mount under the bridge. To keep all of the hardware together and unshifted, I will remove 4 strings so that the two remaining strings hold it all in place, and there is room to clean the fretboard, bridge, between pickups, etc.
    On acoustics, I take all strings off, one-at-a-time, no particular reason why, just do.

11. BFcaster

BFcaster TDPRI Member

As for string winding, I always try to get the cut-off end pointing down, not up.
    Why? you may ask...
    When I got my first real guitar (Squier II Strat) included I got a Fender gig bag. Pointing the cut-off up has shredded the inside cushion where the headstock lays. Took me a few weeks to notice, but by then it was too late. Also, more than once and at some point during a solo practice or jam, and for whatever reason, have my hand cut by a cutoff string at the pegs.
    Aim those suckas down!!
    String changing- one at a time here, but really only from habit. The first couple of years (early 90's) changing them all at once, I'd have a heckuva time getting a guitar to stay in tune during a 2-3 hour practice time once the strings were changed, electric and acoustic. After a few days things settled down and it would stay in tune. Then I started changing one at a time. It seemed like (real or perceived) that the existing neck tension would help 'lock' in each new string to where it was supposed to be, such that the next day I had to re-tune at the start of practice then after that I really didn't need to.
    Of course, I later learned that I should be stretching/pulling (I mean, really pulling) on the strings as I was tightening them around the tuner, and as I was tuning it to pitch. I had been suffering from peg-head slippage, and penicillin won't fix that. Shame really, but I digress...
    Anyways, I've just done it one-at-a-time since, and the guitar does seem to stay in pitch longer without a using a proper tuner. I say that because once in a while (usually) I get lazy and just tune to what sounds right without using a tuner.
    Half-step up or a half-step down=close enough for Gov't work.

THAT's an old saying!

12. BFcaster

BFcaster TDPRI Member

Oh, and I'll never again re-string or tune a locking tuner-equipped guitar. Ever.
    I've had my Squier Strat with tremolo since 1990, and my Bigsby-equipped Gretsch since 2010, and I've NEVER had a need for locking g-damn tuners.

13. teleplayr

teleplayr Tele-Afflicted

As stated before, I'll only do one string at a time on a Floyd Rose equipped guitar.

I've been playing long before some of the posters here were born (Yup...I'm a Geezer), and have never had an issue with cutting all the strings at once and re-stringing.

14. Auherre756

Auherre756 TDPRI Member

I've been loosening and removing all the strings throughout my guitar playing days (55 yrs) without encountering any issues. I only remove strings one at a time on my biscuit bridge resonator and archtops that have a 'floating' bridge -- for the same reasons mentioned by previous thread participants.

15. Ripradiant

Ripradiant Tele-Afflicted

I loosen and cut em in half before i take em out. Easier and faster than unwinding and trying to pull through holes.

16. dalezjc

dalezjc TDPRI Member

I can't believe this thread is 4 pages.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.