Advice on Removing Existing Strings and Re-Stringing

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Digiplay, Feb 8, 2020.

What is your preferred method for re-stringing?

1. 1) Remove and replace one string at a time.

52 vote(s)
    36.6%
  2. 2) Loosen and cut all strings.

90 vote(s)
    63.4%
  1. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Meister

Cheers esseff!

How can I do that with my vintage tuners that you insert the string into the hole on top?

2. stratoman1

stratoman1 Friend of Leo's

I leave both Es on clean all around then. Put the A or B on then remove the Es

3. mschafft

mschafft TDPRI Member

I would only consider changing one string at a time on guitar equipped with a floating bridge.

4. DuckDodgers

DuckDodgers Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I usually do them one string at a time, using a string winder to carefully loosen each in turn before carefully removing it. Sometimes I’ll do them all at once on a solid body, if I’m in a hurry.

But when I ran a music store 40 years ago, I’d always grab the side cutters and snip-snip-snip-snip-snip-snip. This was occasionally traumatic to some sensitive guitar owners. Time is money, you know. ​

5. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Tele-Afflicted

Hi.

Well, I can’t speak for everyone else who voted one string at a time, but I suspect refitting the fruit work* happens by doing the stuff necessary for it. Which is of course, not necessarily the same stuff necessary for simply changing strings. :)

Pax/
    Dean
    * for kicks, I tried replying with voice recognition. Be thankful my phone’s not delivering your parcels, I guess…

6. Northern Tele

Northern Tele Tele-Meister

Just cutting them all off at once is a bad idea cause you are taking all the tension off the neck all at once. A fretboard doesn't need to be cleaned every time you change strings .maybe once year. Some really bad advice being bandied about here.

Both Gibson and Fender recommend the one string at a time re string method.

JL_LI and Greggorios like this.
  7. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Meister

Hi Northern Tele!

But how about loosening each string equally, and then cutting all of them off?

Won't that address/counter your concerns in regards to taking all the tension off the neck all at once?

8. billgwx

billgwx Tele-Meister

All the strings come off at once. Only time that could be problematic is if leaving them off for a long time--ought to loosen the truss rod in that case. Only time I've ever done that was when installing new pickups--life intervened and I didn't get to it for a really long time after removing the strings and the neck.

9. Thanasis

Thanasis TDPRI Member

I've always done it one string at a time on my SG. Haven't changed my strings on the tele yet. I'll probably loosen them and then take them all off before putting any new ones on.

10. dmitri

dmitri Tele-Meister

I pull three at a time. Not sure why, but that's how I do it, and how I teach students to do it I think that's what my teacher showed me back in the day, but I dont rightly recall.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

11. PeterUK

PeterUK Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Unless I’m lemon oiling the fingerboard and other general maintenance I replace them one at a time.

I replace the low E followed by the high E and work back through the treble side B, G, D and A.

I am 100% confident that removing at the strings does not cause any issues but the above is my preferred method. :)

marc2211 likes this.
  12. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

I had to study a great deal of physics to get to be an Electronics /Maths lecturer at College level.

i have heard a lot of , IMO, stupid things like locking tuners are better- well, strings do stretch according to temperature and playing.Locking that factor in only makes it more preposterous.
    What about changing on a Bibsby, or similar? Far easier one at a time. What about a floating bridge?
    You are getting the sound of the string, below is a magnet and a magnetic field around it. So, a toploader, which most Gibson guitars are, are fine. So does wood count? Even Fender made a toploader in 1959.

I cringe when I see a guitar have all strings cut as the string tension disappears from the neck and then people try to right this by putting a new set on. What is happening to the neck in the meantime? In fact I didn't buy a Martin OM when this was done for me and left the salesman with the guitar.
    Also, scale length has more importance than most think. You decide.

Greggorios likes this.
  13. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Meister

Hi Tonetel!

As I asked a few Post's ago, what about if you loosen all the strings equally until they are very loose, and then cutting them all?

Wouldn't that be a lot less stressful to the neck than cutting them off at a higher tension?

14. Wrighty

Wrighty Tele-Afflicted

Just think for a minute. A finished guitar neck sits for possibly weeks in a factory in California before being bolted to a body and strung. It then gets shipped in a cardboard box to a destination that could be, literally, half way around the world. Having been sat in a warehouse, it get’s sent to a store, or end user. None of this affects the neck in a ‘forever’ way. And we are told to worry that leaving it unstrung for an hour or two, probably in the place it has ‘lived’ for a number of years, is gonna totally screw it? Come on!

15. Wrighty

Wrighty Tele-Afflicted

Good point but is it only me that still looks away, squinting, when I take a new string up to pitch?

beagle likes this.
  16. Wrighty

Wrighty Tele-Afflicted

My hero!

Fretting out likes this.
  17. Wrighty

Wrighty Tele-Afflicted

Too much information........................what about changing your strings?

Brocephus and Chunkocaster like this.
  18. Wrighty

Wrighty Tele-Afflicted

Rice pudding , elephant, outside your underpants asparagus you oxymoron plank of platypus*

*Me too.................didn’t work too well!

TokyoPortrait likes this.
  19. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

I bring them up to pitch from behind the guitar (or especially mandolin), in the normal playing position, so that if they break they snap away from me. I learned that a long time ago. :D

Greggorios and Wrighty like this.
  20. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Friend of Leo's

If changing strings, then loosen and cut them all. If replacing a pickguard, then as @beagle said.

beagle likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.