1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Advice on "relic-ing" a tele?

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by australicaster, Sep 20, 2020.

1. Co0lcat

Co0lcat TDPRI Member

I think it’s because it’s FAKE.
    Can’t believe people don’t get it. Ya know... PHONY...a lie

2. Telenewb81

Telenewb81 TDPRI Member

I like a subtle relic. 1C18590B-0C16-4F63-9697-7909C32F2D2E.jpeg

medic_90, Ghostdriver and sgappa like this.
  3. sgappa

sgappa TDPRI Member

Ignore the wise comments, it's your guitar, you should do whatever you want to it! I've relic'ed a few teles and have always had the best luck with using paint stripper to get all of the paint completely off, and then painting again with milk paint (can get on Amazon). They have some cool vintage colors, and you can use some light gauge steel wool to easily rub off where you'd get natural wear on the body. I don't treat over the top of that, since more dings and nicks are what you're going for. For the neck, again take light steel wool and rub it down real good. Then use lighter brown shoe polish to rub in spots where you want to show wear. Also can use it lightly on the pickguard for an older tint. Happy to answer any questions.

theprofessor likes this.
  4. Fender-guy

Fender-guy Tele-Meister

So you joined this site to post why you hate relics. Didn’t know it got people that fired up to do something to THEIR guitar. You have 4 posts total and just on this topic. Get out of your bubble and move on.

teletail, Jukers and Ghostdriver like this.
  5. Marshall_Stack

Marshall_Stack Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

image.jpg
    Truth. I had one come out great. Not going to try it again
    It’s an expensive learning curve.

6. Jukers

Jukers TDPRI Member

I agree. I personally like the look, and I'm not saying that a person should or shouldn't. BUT, IMO if some wants to do it, I'd say be sure to use lighter tools. The orbital sander has a tendency to be too much, even with fine sand paper.

7. teletail

teletail Tele-Afflicted

Like a red guitar. There are no candy apple red trees. What's up with those posers and their red guitars?

Makes about as much sense as what you're saying.

StrangerNY and CalebAaron666 like this.
  8. LittleSonny

LittleSonny TDPRI Member

Not so sure about the "relic" on the fingerboard but the body looks great. Really great. Unique and it all works together.

9. The Swedvoice

The Swedvoice TDPRI Member

10. The Swedvoice

The Swedvoice TDPRI Member

I have never really understood the point of 'relicing'. If I want a guitar to look old and worn, why not just play it until it IS old and worn? (...like me...) :)

MiniMig likes this.
  11. oregomike

oregomike TDPRI Member

I totally get it. I'm not really a fan of relicing (sort of), but even more, I'm not a fan of lying about it being authentic. And damn, have you seen what Nash does? His guitars are pretty damn sexy. I think his relic jobs are pretty tasteful. I wouldn't turn one down, that's for sure, but I also wouldn't sell it to folks as authentic wear either.

OregonMike

DDickens and Blue Bill like this.
  12. ChickenKiller

ChickenKiller Tele-Holic

Put some corn starch on your arm.

fixed

13. oregomike

oregomike TDPRI Member

Well, I'm about to hit 50. Why would I put in the sweat and tears only for my kids to get to enjoy the relic'ing? :).
    Kidding aside, and as I've mentioned, Nash does some really tasteful relic jobs and his guitars are top shelf. He's probably the only one I'd consider for a relic'd guitar. Him and maybe Novo.

OregonMike

14. medic_90

medic_90 TDPRI Member

If the guitar is PU forget about it. A subtle relic on the hardware looks really good imo.

Here's my American Special.. I relic'd the hardware with a little bit of vinegar and a lemon. The rest was natural from being in Hawaii for 5 years.

IMG_8905.jpg IMG_8902.jpg IMG_8904.jpg IMG_8903.jpg

JunebugJones likes this.
  15. Braden Micona

Braden Micona TDPRI Member

I love relics. That being said, if done on a poly body they always look bad...

StrangerNY and Fender-guy like this.
  16. loopfinding

loopfinding Tele-Holic

i find that excess ghs fast fret invariably gets everywhere and makes the neck and forearm pleasantly slippery.

17. teletail

teletail Tele-Afflicted

At the risk of being that guy that posts 50 times in a thread, the point of relicing a guitar is that with the modern finishes you CAN'T relic it naturally, at least not like the nitro finishes. I have two 30 year old strats and they both look like new. They'll probably still look new in another 30 years.

It's amazing that people keep posting this same question.

18. NoTeleBob

NoTeleBob Tele-Meister

Before you relic, try just improving the finish. Wet sand and w/wet-dry paper in that area. If the finish is still good and just not the feel you like, start high on the scale, like 800 or 1000, go light, and work you way to 1500 then 2000. See if that's better before going aggressive.

If the finish is too rough to start at 800, you can drop down to 400 or 600. Actual cracking and bubbling, I'd be doing 240, 320, 400. Again, see where that gets you.

Note: Most guitar guys will tell you to use Naptha instead of soapy water to wet sand to avoid getting the wood wet with soapy water. I'd do a little testing under the pickguard to make sure it does not soften the finish first. I'm cautious with petroleum solvents and finishes.

If you do decide to relic, look at a slew of actual aged guitars. Reproduce that, not what most people call "relic" these days. Here's an example of one I posted here: https://www.tdpri.com/threads/howlin-wolf-bad-dog-guitar.713210/page-3#post-9620467

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
  19. NoTeleBob

NoTeleBob Tele-Meister

Or, get the right breed of cat. Just sayin'. Maybe the same with guitars... get one that does what you want OR you can train to do what you want. Doesn't have to be what people tell you can be done.

That looks fake to me... ;)

20. timbgtr

timbgtr TDPRI Member

My impression is that the OP is really looking for a forearm contour. Would it make sense to just buy a contoured body from Warmoth or someone?

Anacharsis likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.