1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Advice on "relic-ing" a tele?

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by australicaster, Sep 20, 2020.

1. Fender-guy

Fender-guy Tele-Meister

Most of the horrible weird looking relic jobs are done on polyurethane finished guitars. It just doesn’t work.

A full nitro guitar with practice you can get it done like the pros. It just takes practice. I’ve done all kinds of relics, worn parts, faded finishes, checking, etc. All really good results but it’s way to easy to go overboard.

Someone said leave it to the pros. We’ll have did the pros figure it out? Probably a lot of trial and error.

Marshall_Stack likes this.
  2. CalebAaron666

CalebAaron666 Tele-Holic

I have no interest is a new tele that feels like it’s been dipped like a candy apple. The poly used on MIM models are undesirable to me. They’re uncomfortable and never break-in.

StrangerNY likes this.
  3. Fender-guy

Fender-guy Tele-Meister

They will never age like the good ol days. Everyone says play it for 30 years. Yeah well 30 years, hell even 60 years will never make it ages. It will still polish up to a nice shine.

Javier668 and CalebAaron666 like this.
  4. ArcticWhite

ArcticWhite Tele-Afflicted

upload_2020-9-21_15-7-19.png

Sand it down. Spray it flat black.
    Sand that off.
    Add stickers.
    Sand them off.
    Repeat.
    Get a regular gig, touring, and abuse your guitar.

eean, Acoustotron, sotob and 2 others like this.
  5. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

I actually did that. I wrapped my fore arm in 800 grit emory paper and played while walking around for about 2 hours. Worked like a champ.

6. old soul

old soul Tele-Meister

Google bad relic jobs and ask yourself if you are willing to risk it

Greggorios likes this.
  7. burtf51

burtf51 Tele-Holic

fake relic...

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
    ChickenKiller likes this.
  8. Fender-guy

Fender-guy Tele-Meister

I did google “bad relic job” and 95% of them are done a something with a polyurethane finish. There’s just no way to make one even look remotely good on a poly finished guitar.

Unfortunately that’s what everyone is trying to relic and they all look bad. Very few people are taking their full on nitro guitars trying their hand at a relic job.

old soul likes this.
  9. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Sorry if I sounded bash-y or bothered. I thought I was just participating in a public discussion.

Javier668, ChickenKiller and fun2fix like this.
  10. Fender-guy

Fender-guy Tele-Meister

Well it’s the OP asking about relicing a guitar. You don’t get relics so why post saying you don’t get it.

Guys googling for actual advice come across these threads and search through 3 pages of guys saying why they don’t like relics with RELIC in the title.

Just fills up the internet with garbage. Like I said earlier I don’t like black guitars, I’m not going to post why I don’t like black guitars in a guys thread asking how to paint a guitar black.

11. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Tele-Afflicted

THIS! A little louder this time......

12. CalebAaron666

CalebAaron666 Tele-Holic

I love playing my relic’d teles thru my digital Tone Master Deluxe Reverb.:D

13. Minivan Megafun

Minivan Megafun Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

That hurt to watch.

Mistahbrock likes this.
  14. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Hmmm, so discussing thoughts about relic-ing, in a relic thread, is garbage, but posting statements about not posting statements about black guitars is relevant? :lol:

ChickenKiller, fun2fix and carpenter like this.
  15. Lefty Addams

Lefty Addams Tele-Afflicted

Advice? Yeah, don't do it.

ChickenKiller likes this.
  16. samm57

samm57 TDPRI Member

Scotch brite usually takes off the sticky feeling.

17. Ghostdriver

Ghostdriver Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Say what you like about relics but some of us don’t want to wait thirty years for our guitar to ‘age’ and if we did the Fender Custom Shop wouldn’t be in business would it?
    I built mine from scratch and for my purposes I think it turned out ok, beauty is all in the eye of the beholder and as long as I love it I don’t give a monkeys about who thinks what about it ha ha........I painted this as if it were a new finished guitar and relicced after, as if it was a new guitar that had aged, all metal parts were purchased as nickel and then treated to ferric chloride, bare wood was stained..........oh and it plays fantastic, I fabricated a standard top loader bridge and bought a cheap as chips tremelo, it’s all about the set up, if you know what you are doing it will play like a factory produced guitar, if not better ! 014E1A92-51C8-4268-B9C5-6CEE8893EEAE.png C246801D-63DD-450D-9B24-8EA86A417B1F.png

18. Tele5284

Tele5284 TDPRI Member

Mine had poly sealer under nitro lacquer, stripped it and refinished it.

Attached Files:

rossboy and Marshall_Stack like this.
  19. dcm0

dcm0 TDPRI Member

This is an old, nearly day one, issue. The strat got its body curves because test player Bill Carson told Leo thay teles cut into his ribs.

I use a combination of caranuba/beeswax and Tung oil. Sand the hell out of the area in question. The two can be applied separately, or, better, but more complex and definitely more mess to clean after, heat the two together until the wax melts, stir throughly and apply.

You rub the mixture, or individual coats alternating, into the sanded area with a rag, working it in thoroughly, until the wood stops sucking it up. Heating and mixing as recommend above enhances both the rate and quantity of absorption. Repeat this ever few days for three weeks or until you feel satisfied with the feel. I do this also to the back of the neck.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
  20. themarkjlee

themarkjlee TDPRI Member

If you are going down to bare wood in places the most realistic treatment I have found is this..

Steel wool pickled in vinegar (any vineger will do pickle juice works just fine!) leave it for a few days and apply the liquid to any bare wood with a brush or a rag. Almost instantly the wood will oxidise much the same as if you've played through the finish and sweated on the bare wood for a few years. As with any wood treatment try it out first on some scrap timber or an inconspicous area first before slapping it all over your guitar as its a non rerversable process. Either leave it bare or seal with your choice of wood oil and buff it your prefered level of shiny.

I've reliced a fair few guitars and still can't decide wether its a good or bad idea, but can tell you this.. Be subtle, do a little at time its easy to over do it and very difficult to recover an overzealous job.

Good luck and have fun with it!

MonkeyGym, Blue Bill and Fender-guy like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.