1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

advice on princeton reverb silverface

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by drinf, Oct 2, 2020.

1. drinf

drinf NEW MEMBER!

Hi!

I've come across a '73 princeton reverb 4 hours drive from me, and I'm not sure to carry it home. Here in Europe prices are higher than US ones: around 2000 euros. Do you think it worths? I already own a '74 vibrolux reverb and 5f1 modded champion 600. Do you think it will overlap with any of those, regarding wattage and tone, since PR is known as the tweedest of the BF/SF fenders?

Thank you all.

2. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

I don't think expecting to hear a "tweed" like response from a SF Princeton Reverb is a realistic expectation, without some sort of effects pedal.

Just my opinion.

Even after adjusting for prices on your side of the Atlantic, a little over $2300US for a SF PR sounds like too much. And, yeah the SF PR will not be spectacularly different from your Vibrolux, again, in my opinion. If you have a goal of collecting various models of the SF era, then maybe, but if you are just playing, nah, I don't think so. Others may disagree.

3. klasaine

klasaine Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

First time I have ever heard that.
    In my opinion, unless you're looking for a quieter SF/BF tone, you'll have overlap with the Vibrolux.

4. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Take your VL with you and compare them. They have similarities and differences. Difficult for another to evaluate YOUR tastes. But I would make sure you like the reverb and tremolo on the Princeton. ALSO, make sure it has been recapped for that price. Old tubes are usually OK, but not old electrolytics.

5. Robert H.

Robert H. Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Why do you want the PR? Home playing? The VL should sound great and give you more headroom. Is it just a case of Gear Acquisition Syndrome?

6. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

I can see the "tweed connection" due to the phase inverter used, a lot of tweeds used that split load setup. The bigger blackface amps used the long tail pair, that was used in the last tweed Bassman, Twin and Vibrolux. (if I remember correctly the Vibrolux was the other one)
    Don't know if that makes a PR more tweed though.
    That said, the Princeton Reverb is definitely a different animal than the bigger BFs. Already had a Deluxe Reverb and only bought the 64 PR because it was $900. Actually figured I'd just double my money on it, but I'll never sell it. The BFDR I really wouldn't miss.
    You need a PR!
    I have zero idea what they sell for in Europe, seems high to me but I'm not there. Maybe that's a good deal?

King Fan likes this.
  7. JRapp

JRapp Tele-Holic

There's nothing tweed sounding about a BF/SF Princeton. I used a BF PR for a while with a vintage P10Q and there was no apparent tweediness. If anything, it sounded worse than usual.

8. King Fan

King Fan Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

What he said!!! The PR is sonically unique in the BF/SF line, and comes from a tweed lineage. But it is, as noted by many here, far from tweed. It'll overlap your VR more than your Champ, but within the BF/SF lineup it's distinctive.

PR = good. 2300euro = expensive?

BobbyZ likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.