advice on powering a large pedalboard!

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by papawoot, Jan 28, 2014.

1. papawoot

papawoot TDPRI Member

Hey guys! I have been slowly collecting pedals and am ready to put them all together! Problem is, I have no clue how to power them all! I will be running a Morley power wah/volume, wampler ego comp, nobels odr1, full drive 2 mosfet, suhr shiba drive, ocd, sd1 clone, klone jr, auto-wah, flashback delay, line 6 dl-4, tremolo, hall of fame reverb, and two 6 loop switchers. Help?

2. RockSocks

RockSocks TDPRI Member

I have the T-rex Chameleon and it is superb. Great if you have pedals of differing votlage. The Morley needs more than 9v right?
    Add up your total current draw. It puts out 300ma per output.

2 daisy chains should see you right.

I run 9 pedals- some of the pedals you have - off it no problems.

3. vjf1968

vjf1968 Poster Extraordinaire

Take a look at the Gig Rig. It's a modular system that you can custom order various voltage modules for various type of pedals.

4. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Your Line 6 DL4 is going to be a problem and will likely require it's own power supply. The recommended power supply (from Line 6) is AC output, not DC. They were nice enough to make it so a DC supply can work - but I believe it has to be 12 volt, MIGHT be polar reverse, and requires a lot more current than a standard pedal. (Please research this before trying anything, I am just going off what I remember when I once owned one).

5. LostInTheShuffl

LostInTheShuffl TDPRI Member

I vote the PP2+. It has an AC outlet for your line 6 power supply and you can combine 2 of your ports if you need a different voltage. You can daisy chain your drives off of one port if you wanted so you would have room for more pedals.

6. guitarzan13

guitarzan13 Friend of Leo's

Pedal Power 2 will run a DL4.... It uses a different connector and I think that I had to flip a dip switch... I forget. It has been on there for about 3 years.

7. Tim Bowen

Tim Bowen Poster Extraordinaire

There's a recent thread about DL4 & powering at TGP with lots of folks reporting no issues, for what it's worth. I'm with you based on my experience though. I used the dedicated Line 6 power cable with my VL Pedal Power 2 (not 2+), and at two different shows there were voltage issues resulting in severe volume drop. For the remainder of time that I used the DL4 on the board I powered it via courtesy outlet on the back of the PP2, problem solved. Power supply builders are dealing with lots of digital constraints from Strymon and others these days so my bet would be that VL has a handle on this by now.

8. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Sounds like you need somewhere in the neighborhood of 1.21 Jiggawatts. The only thing capable of generating that much electricity is a bolt of lightening. Unfortunately, you never know where or when it's going to strike.

9. vjf1968

vjf1968 Poster Extraordinaire

If your running that many different pedals I suggest you take a look at http://www.thegigrig.com/usa/acatalog/Power.html.

You can send Dan an email with a list of all the pedals you are using and he can put together a package that would fit your needs.

10. steveneddy

steveneddy Tele-Meister

Voodoo Labs has a lot of offerings for pedal board power

11. dragonfly66

dragonfly66 Friend of Leo's

Start Here: Document the voltage, polarity, and amp draw of each pedal.

Then you can decide which power unit and how many you might need. On all power supplies there are limits to the individual sockets. You may have a pedal that needs 9v 500ma, but the power supply might provide only a maximum of 300ma on one socket. Some supplies will allow you to use two sockets to get double the ma, but not all.

I merged my acoustic/bass/electric board into one small board and here is what is looks like.

Electric: Overdrive (9v, 12ma), Compressor (9v, 8ma), Distortion (9v, 12ma), Boost (9v 40ma), Multi-Fx (9v 500ma)

Acoustic: PreAmp (15v, 400ma), Tuner (9v, 35ma)

Bass: Multi-Fx (9v, 500ma)

Other: Vocal Harmonizer (12v, 400ma)

I have a couple of Visual Sound OneSpots, a T-Rex Chameleon and a Joyo SP-02. With the setup above I have to plug in the vocal harmonizer and acoustic preamp, but everything else I can supply power to with a OneSpot. The OneSpot is not as flexible as the other power supplies as you can see in the specs below, but works for the setup above. From what I've read the best recommendation is to get a power supply that has isolated power which keeps the hum down, especially when you have modulation effects. The multi-fx pedals I could not power with the Chameleon but could power 1 with the SP-02, just not both.

My large board, which never leaves my house, uses the SP-02 and/or Chameleon.

Visual Sound 1 Spot (1700mA)
    9v only
    Use multi-plug cable to supply multiple pedals

T-Rex Fuel Tank Chameleon (1350ma)
    OUTPUTS 1-3: 9v/12v 300ma
    OUTPUT 4: 9v/18V 150ma
    OUTPUT 5: 9v/12v 300ma
    | ---- Do not use 5 &6 at the same time
    OUTPUT 6: 12v AC 300ma

Joyo SP-02 (1000ma)
    OUTPUTS 1-7: 9v 100ma
    OUTPUT 8: DC 9V Maximum output of 500mA
    OUTPUT 9: DC12V 100ma
    OUTPUT 10: DC18V 100ma

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  12. backalleyblues

backalleyblues Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Invest in shares of Duracell... :D

Seriously, with that much hardware on your board, don't go with a 1 Spot (as much as I like mine!), and don't skimp on cabling-lots of noise-makers/radio antennas in that pedal lineup, and a bad cable will make that much worse...

Another question-what kind of pedalboard are you using, and where would you put the power supply? Kinda important things to think about there...

Franc Robert

13. papawoot

papawoot TDPRI Member

Thanks for all the responses guys! all this is going on a pedal train pro

14. dragonfly66

I made a big and small pedal board using the Ikea shelves and they are raised in the back like a Pedal Pro board. You can see the whole build >here< I have velcro'd a power strip and a power supplies underneath. The Pedal Train Pro should have a space underneath to fit the Pedal Train power supply. But if you get one that doesn't fit in the mount you could always use the Industrial Strength Velcro from the hardware store.

[​IMG]

15. dragonfly66

FYI... If you need something big, T-Rex recently came out with Fuel Tank Goliath.

5 isolated 9/12 volt DC outlets (450 mA each)

1 isolated 12 volt AC outlets (450 mA)

1 isolated 18 volt DC outlet (250 mA)​

Or go all out with the Cioks Ciokolate.

Outlet 1: 4-15V DC adjustable / 100mA
    Outlet 2-4: 9V DC / 100mA each
    Outlet 5: 18 or 24V DC / 100mA
    Outlet 6-7: 9 or 12V DC / 200mA each
    Outlet 8-9: 9 or 12V DC / 400mA each
    Outlet 10-11: 9 and 12 or 15V DC / 400mA
    Outlet 12-13: 9 and 12 or 15V DC / 600mA*
    Outlet 14: 9 or 12V AC / 800mA*
    Outlet 15-16: 9, 12 or 16V AC / 800mA

* only one of these two sections can be used​

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.