Advice on my next Pedal

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Harlow, Sep 15, 2016.

1. Harlow

Harlow TDPRI Member

So, I am currently really enjoying my setup, and I think I made the right choice with the Baja Telecaster as my first serious Electric Guitar buy. I've played mainly acoustic for 11+ years and was having the hardest time matching my ear to an Electric that I could get as warm and open as I was use to hearing.

I researched, played extensively, saved up, and in a short amount of time bought the following:

Guitar/Amp:

Baja MIM Telecaster w/ Custom Shop Pickups (in-series 4th position, with and S-1 button for phase)
    Fender Blues Junior Tweed

Pedals:

Keeley Katanna Clean Boost
    Aqua Puss Delay
    Blues Driver Overdrive
    Ditto mini Looping pedal

First off, I absolutely love the Keeley Katana. It's pretty much always on and gives a great glassy tone. Paired with the Aqua Puss you get a semi strat sound (stole this setup from John Mayer). The Blues Driver I use mainly as a Lead boost. With the master volume on my Blues Junior wide open I can get it to bite back an boost it with the keeley, which results in a great blues tone.

Now I'm looking to add to my setup and I'm looking for suggestions. Pedals I've looked at include: Q-Tron, Keeley Compressor, Big Muff, MXR Phase 90, several wah's/volume pedals, etc. I haven't had any play time with these, but I've watched numerous demos and I'm always left with more questions. Something I want to eventually invest in is another looping pedal with drum track functionality, but I'm not sure where to look. Compressor pedals leave me kind of confused with their purpose, so maybe more information there. Basically, I have a sound that I like and want to know which avenues to explore to grow that sound.

Thanks in advance,

- Chris

2. mitchfinck

mitchfinck Tele-Holic

I'm going to throw my vote in on a Big Muff. There are lots of good options from boutique builders (you have multiple Keeley mentions so I'm sure that you're vaguely interested in the boutique scene) - but my number 1 Muff is the modern Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff. It's great and it's dirt cheap.

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  3. Stratohacker

Stratohacker Tele-Afflicted

You'll want to give the pedals a try to see if they are something that you want to use to tinker with your sound.

My current obsession is with Jam Pedals. If you're looking for a fuzz their Fuzz Phrase is awesome. The demo has Greg Koch playing a multi effect pedal that incorporates several of their pedals. The only caveat is that the pedals are pricey.

I see you have the Ditto Mini. You might want to check out the Digitech Trio for looping with accompaniment.

*Sorry got interrupted in the middle of initial post and posted it half done. Edited to include actual videos that I intended to include.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
  4. Harlow

Harlow TDPRI Member

Greg is easily one of my favorite YouTube guitar players/personalities. I'll have to check these out. Thanks!

5. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

First off, congrats on making really great gear selections for getting into electric guitar. You don't mention what kind of music that you're playing. Nevertheless, I'll assume it's blues from what you said, so I'll give you my initial reaction:

For drum track looping, the Trio+, is awesome and nothing touches it.

Since you are satisfied with your sound, a compressor is not a bad way to go, but I would suggest putting that off for awhile until you have explored other effects. Unless you want compression as an effect like in the country genres, I use it for putting on the final polish of my sound. It is a lot of fun exploring what compression can do especially if you get a good one with lots of features like the Empress.

As a blues player, one of my first pedals was a graphic EQ pedal. I know, kind of boring, but it allows you to tune in what you want your sound to be or maybe a specific tone shape for your lead boost. For me it also sharpened my ears and maybe even prepared me for adding a compressor later on.

Good luck and have fun. Don't sweat the decision, because you will get more pedals as time goes on anyway.

6. heltershelton

heltershelton Tele-Afflicted

i think the next most important pedal youre gonna need is a tuner, especially if youre gonna be gigging. i like the boss tu-3 but there are others out there you might want to look into.

tlandonevans likes this.
  7. tlandonevans

tlandonevans Tele-Meister

^This!!!^

But if not that (haha), a compressor is a great addition. Get a good one, it makes a difference. I was kind of in the same boat as you once upon a time, didn't really get what it was for. But once you dial it in right (and with the flexibility of a good one, it could take some time) you will never want to be without it.

For the longest time, I couldn't get it to really add anything to my sound. But now it's a vital part. Our steel guitar player (who always criticizes my tone) was blown away by how good it sounded last weekend, and he attributed to the compressor. Personally I think the DD-3 had something to do with it, but yeah I absolutely love my compressor.

I had a MXR Dyna Comp which, while considered a classic, just didn't do it for me. I got the Wampler Ego Comperssor and it is the real deal! Never played the Keeley, heard it's good and might stack up, but I would definitely recommenced the Wampler.

You mentioned interest in a Phase 90. I'll say I had one at one point and really tried to love it since Waylon used it. Just couldn't talk myself into liking it. Got rid of it, forgot about the phaser and didn't think I'd ever go back until I tried out the VFE Enterprise - it's awesome! It's pretty much a Phase 90 BUT with so many added options. What I love is being able to blend in the clean and wet signal. That way, I still get that Phase 90 sound, but it's not so aggressive in your face, just a light touch. Check it out, it's so much more versatile, but can do the Phase 90 replication if you need it to.

8. Harlow

Harlow TDPRI Member

I've heard that position on the pedal train matters with a compressor... and I vaguely understand why. Have you had any experience with this? Thanks for all of the suggestions! I've been using a snark tuner for the longest time with no plans to play live (not sure I would have a snark live though I've seen Greg Koch do it). I did consider a tuner pedal though in the initial stages of planning my board.

9. tlandonevans

tlandonevans Tele-Meister

As far as compressor position, can't help you there. I've never experimented, I just leave it at the start of my signal chain. But I'm sure there are plenty of YouTube videos that will go over this.

Snark tuners aren't a bad deal at all; honestly they work better with my acoustic for some reason. But having it there on the pedal board is just so convenient.

10. Thin69

Thin69 Friend of Leo's

I'd go with a pedal tuner as I don't like headstock tuners for cosmetic reasons and really like the mute feature of pedal tuners.

I had a lot of pedals on my board. Pulled about half of them off and I like my board better. Simpler, less distractive and helps me focus on my playing better. Be careful not to let GAS get a hold of you.

11. chemobrainkid

chemobrainkid Tele-Meister

yes, no, ah o.k. I would strong encourage you and every body else to the listen to the Strymon Deco demo.
    It is supposed to induce a sound very similar to tape saturation adjustable by user and also has the equivalent of two tape mains.
    just watch the demo.
    http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DecoTapeSat

12. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

Another vote for the Muff if you're wanting to add thick leads/fuzz to your arsenal. I have a Little Big Muff, but since I've gotten mine the even smaller Nano Big Muff has been released.

mitchfinck likes this.
  13. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

If you "have a sound that you like," I would definitely get a looper like you said. The Boss and Digitech loopers have built in drums IIRC. But OTOH, everyone should have a fuzz - Big Muff. (Then you can also get some of that Dan Auerbach Black Keys sound!)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.