Advice on IEM

golfnut

Friend of Leo's
Hopefully someone with experience will respond. I'm looking at the following 3 IEM's

Sennheiser EW G4-A
Galaxy Audio AS-1800
Shure PSM 300

I rented the Sennheiser for a month to try out and used it a couple of times in church. I really liked the system and its my only experience using IEM.
Unfortunately due to supply chain issues its tough to find anything in stock. The only system that L&M shows in stock, online is the Shure system So likely I could get that one in a week. I'd rather order the Sennheiser system as I know what I'd be getting. However if I ordered it I'd likely never know how long it will take. The Galaxy Audio system piqued my curiosity. Its the least expensive of the 3 but only slightly less expensive than the Shure.
It would be best if I could have whatever I buy, by April 24. So my only option, if I want it by then is the Shure.
So the advice I'm looking for is should I just go with the Shure or should I hold out and wait till I can get the more expensive Sennheiser? Or is the Galaxy Audio system something that punches above its weight class? Again I'd have to wait for stock on the Galaxy Audio. Basically I'm asking is it a wise decision to go with the Shure system out of these 3 since thats the system I can get the quickest.
I could have bought the rental unit I had for a, just under $200 discount. The history on it is that it has been rented out a total of 241 days, so the unit is likely a year old. Add to that you don't get the earbuds with it. The earbuds would likely be at least $100 of the price. So a $100 discount for a year old unit didn't seem worth it to me. I'd rather just have brand new.

CapnCrunch

Friend of Leo's
@golfnut, I'm interested in the answers you get also, as I recently was shopping between the same Shure and Sennheiser units. I decided to wait and save some $ up because they are not cheap. I did speak at some length with my Sweetwater sales rep about these units. He strongly recommended the Shure unit. He didn't have any really specific knocks on the Senn unit, he just preferred the Shure and said it was an ultra dependable, pro level, road worthy unit.

In reading the reviews of both of these at Sweetwater, I think you can't really go wrong with either. The Galaxy Audio is a wild card. I think I would certainly go with Shure over the GA unit just because there are lots of reviews of the Shure, and very few, if any, of the GA. Let us know what you do and review the unit you decide on. I'm still on the fence between the Senn and the Shure so would love a review. :)

golfnut

Friend of Leo's
@golfnut, I'm interested in the answers you get also, as I recently was shopping between the same Shure and Sennheiser units. I decided to wait and save some $ up because they are not cheap. I did speak at some length with my Sweetwater sales rep about these units. He strongly recommended the Shure unit. He didn't have any really specific knocks on the Senn unit, he just preferred the Shure and said it was an ultra dependable, pro level, road worthy unit.

In reading the reviews of both of these at Sweetwater, I think you can't really go wrong with either. The Galaxy Audio is a wild card. I think I would certainly go with Shure over the GA unit just because there are lots of reviews of the Shure, and very few, if any, of the GA. Let us know what you do and review the unit you decide on. I'm still on the fence between the Senn and the Shure so would love a review. :)
At this point I can only comment on the short time I had with the Senn system. I've never had much experience with audio stuff like this. I plugged it in to my recording interface at home to test, then used it on 2 Sunday morning church, worship services. It was super easy to use and I had no reliability issues whatsoever.
I'll likely go with the Shure system as its what I'll be able to get when I need it. I hope its as easy to sync and set up as the Senn.

don_danapoint

TDPRI Member
I was in the same situation with a new band. I went with the Shure because it’s one of the gold standards in audio and I used all three of the systems mentioned here and the Shure was the one that had the least amount of drop outs… The downside of the Shure is it’s more expensive versus the others but it just works. The other issue with the Shure is battery life but I just use 2500ma rechargeable batteries and the battery issue is solved. IMO the Shure was best of the 3.

scooteraz

Friend of Leo's
I was looking at the Shure system. I would probably just sell the actual in-ears and use custom molded ones that I already have. I want the ease of the wireless.

Some years back I had Shure IEM (wired like the set that comes with the PSM-300) but….one of them actually broke off in my ear and I had to get a site nurse to fish out the tip from my ear. So, I no longer use Shure ear buds.

golfnut

Friend of Leo's
I was looking at the Shure system. I would probably just sell the actual in-ears and use custom molded ones that I already have. I want the ease of the wireless.

Some years back I had Shure IEM (wired like the set that comes with the PSM-300) but….one of them actually broke off in my ear and I had to get a site nurse to fish out the tip from my ear. So, I no longer use Shure ear buds.
I've got a pair of Westones I'll be using. Although the shure earbuds I was planning on keeping for backup.

golfnut

Friend of Leo's
I was in the same situation with a new band. I went with the Shure because it’s one of the gold standards in audio and I used all three of the systems mentioned here and the Shure was the one that had the least amount of drop outs… The downside of the Shure is it’s more expensive versus the others but it just works. The other issue with the Shure is battery life but I just use 2500ma rechargeable batteries and the battery issue is solved. IMO the Shure was best of the 3.
Actually of the 3 I mentioned in the OP, the Sennheiser is the most expensive.

golfnut

Friend of Leo's
I just picked up the Shure PSM300 as its what they had in stock now. I think I'd have rather the Sennheiser but only slightly over the Shure. But there is no stock anywhere in Canada and who knows when.
Actually there is one audio shop that has the Sennheiser but I'd rather deal with Long and Mcquade as I have a 30 day return window and their performance warranty (first year free) is excellent.