1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Advice on gap

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by aarongreen123, Nov 10, 2020.

1. aarongreen123

aarongreen123 Tele-Meister

Doing my first build. Made the body with a template, and ordered a “custom” walnut neck from a guy advertising on FB marketplace. Fast forward to this gap between the guard and the neck. Do I have any options here to salvage this? Lessons learned is the title of this build for sure.
    ADFEA745-4D2A-41D6-BB52-F47BEE7746F3.jpeg

crazydave911 likes this.
  2. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

Are the radii of the neck end larger than the pickguard radius or smaller? Make a new pickguard to match? It's hard to see. Try a pic with the camera zooming in on the problem....

crazydave911 likes this.
  3. crazydave911

crazydave911 Doctor of Teleocity

This ^^^^^

4. cravenmonket

cravenmonket Tele-Holic

Looks like the corners of the neck are too shallow for the guard - not sharp enough angles, so there's a gap. I zoomed in and I could see it.

Make a custom pick guard. The neck looks nice - cheaper to make up a guard to match it.

I am unable to offer advice on The Gap. I would generally avoid shopping there.

crazydave911 and WalthamMoosical like this.
  5. wabashslim

wabashslim Friend of Leo's

Make the guy who made the neck make you another one with 22 frets. The overhang will cover most of the problem if it happens again.

6. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity

this is one of the reasons I have often stated the importance of having all the parts before ya start making sawdust...

Not all "made to vintage" specs components are actually made to ANY vintage specs... While making your own pickguard is the solution, if you aren't setup to do that, it can be an annoyance... and I can tell ya, you are not gonna find a pre-made pickguard that matches that neck's corner radii..

r

Last edited: Nov 11, 2020
  7. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

^^Ron +1,000^^

Ultimately it's a fit issue, and it is strictly cosmetic in nature. Yes, it's nice to have tight joints where dissimilar materials meet, but sometimes the parts just don't match.

If this is your first build and this is the biggest problem you encounter--count your blessings. Your next build will only be better because you learn about these sorts of pitfalls as your skills improve.

If this were my project and my first build, I'd proceed with that pickguard and complete the build. Later on, I'd make a new pickguard that fits better and drop it into place. And this is just a mind game I'd play, because after about three weeks, I'd forget about those two little gaps and just play the heck out of the guitar.

P Thought and Alamo like this.
  8. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity

I might add, that neck seen in the OP's post is probably one of the "bargains" that can be had from a number of sources... it's just typical for things like that radius to be off, the heel to be cut in a most unusual manner, or any number of other issues.. making that neck something that will haunt your brain until you DO order one from one of the better known suppliers..

So a 90 buck neck, that unusable.. gets added to the 190.00 neck from, Say, AllParts.. and bingo it has now cost you as much as a custom from Sound Guitar Works, Warmoth, Best Guitar Parts, etc..

Just something to keep in mind.. there's usually a reason why an eBay deal on something that appears to be a 175.00 Bridge, is listed for 50 bux...

rk

9. stratisfied

stratisfied Tele-Holic

If you paid with PayPal and the seller advertised "fits standard telecaster/fits Fender/whatever" file a claim and get your money back. Alternatively, you could send a tracing to PickGuardian or one of the pickguard makers and get one made to fit. I have grown so tired of this type of nonsense, I just file the claim and get it over with when it's not as advertised. Not my job to make something fit that the seller assured me would fit. The PayPal fees are nothing compare to the aggravation they save you from.

10. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Poster Extraordinaire

Compare your neck and body to this

https://www.warmoth.com/Guitar/Necks/faq2.aspx

Check your corner radii - the standard is 0.250. Modify whatever doesn't match, but don't move the neck closer to the bridge. Hide the gap as best you can.

Edit to say, if you are going to modify either the neck or the pocket double check the scale and if you have to move the neck in the pocket make sure the bridge ends up in the proper place.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2020
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.