Advice on Fender mij 72 tele custom

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by eyerish, Aug 6, 2019.

1. eyerish

eyerish Tele-Holic

I found a 1994 mij 72 tele custom in an abs fender hc. Appears period correct.
    In see thru white.
    1 piece ash. Maple neck/board
    Verified by a couple of fender guys who were there showing the store some new high end gits.
    Yeah sucks to be poor.
    This tele is all original and looks almost unplayed.
    They want 895 but said i could have for 800.
    What y'all think?
    Shes a sweety amd plays like buttah.

2. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

If you like it, in that condition it's not a terrible buy. Rarish model. Sounds like the one I built my friend.

283150-ae9146f533e851c46f943ad764d6ad50.jpg

Good guitars, the neck pickup is PAF-like rather than WRHB but go for it. Good mod base too.

You might find it a little less dear on private sale but struggle to find one, and in that condition. Case is $100 alone.

3. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

MIJ's are really good, Ive played a few 90's teles, and they all feel great and fantastic build quality.. hard to find one in a very mint condition nowadays at least in my part of the world, but almost all MIJ I've played that were stock have so-so electronics and pickups.. most change them out for quality pickups and electronics.. If knew what I know now, I wouldve bought a MIJ tele instead of the MIM standard I started my journey with.. not that the MIM standard is bad, but when I compared the two, the MIJ has a noticeable quality.. at least the ones Ive tried..

Yeah, I know what you mean! but having limited resources doesnt mean we cant get the best quality guitar we can have! always buy quality over a good deal, because quality lasts, A good deal doesn't feel good much later on if the guitar isn't great..

4. eyerish

eyerish Tele-Holic

Put a mary kay trans white and thats about right.
    Nice lookin gitter

5. eyerish

eyerish Tele-Holic

You are a 100% right on quality.
    Most of the japanese and most mims have been by percentage on par with my miagits.
    The 2 fenders i have now are the fsr 50s tele in lpb with 58 bridge and p90 neck and thefsr 50s50s strat in fiesta red and gold hardware. Both mim and truly phenomal gits.
    My last mij was that all mahogany offset tele thing they didlast year.
    Good guitar single tele bridge and p90 neck.
    Thing is have my tele and i wanted that 50s strat.
    So mij offset byebye 50s50s strat hello.
    So im in this mom an pop i havent been in for a year or so and theres this Mary Kay looking tele custom.
    Looks almost new.
    The only noticible flaw was to of the skirted knobs are missing the little chrome centers.
    I look shes a 94 and has the abs fender case.
    Well im not very bright. I play her and next thing you know my belly and my wallet are grumbling with G.A.S.
    Haha.
    895 on the tag but they tell me they would do 800.
    Oh well now i need to go spend some quality time with her and see if im ready to bring another girlfriend into the mix.

6. eyerish

eyerish Tele-Holic

Did you build or parts caster this?
    Dang they are a pretty ol shot at gibby's thunder.
    I liked them in the 70s.
    Many of us just did the Keef thing and dug a wider hole and slapped a hummer in our teles neck spot.
    But i got a tell ya.
    I like the customs more then the deluxe.
    Although i did want a blacktop and now im looking at that lpb players tele hh with the pair of splittable A2 hums.
    Nice nice.

7. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

MIJ neck, I made the body. The WRHB is original. I had it back to pot pickup and carve some weight out of it. Bridge pup is a US standard with copper clad plate. Ten years old now.

IMG_20190803_161352.jpg

8. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

You do know that when you get it, you need to post pics of it for us to drool over!

Good luck with the purchase, if you think it's a good price and its the cheapest you can get it for, why not.. the good thing is that you can try before you buy, so try it and decide soon, otherwise someone might get ahead and buy it before you do,.,

9. Bluey

Bluey Tele-Meister

Alot of slagging about MIJ electronics but once you check it out you will find it has same Fender spec pups & full size Alpha pots etc. If it hasn't been swapped out. Also better build quality than Fender USA. MIJ will mop the floor with MIM & also hold better resale value. The bull dust has settled, statements proven false & finally everyone is starting to realise.
    Ask the seller to lift the controls & report. Edit. Can you lift the control plate & report just for curiosity sake. Cheers.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.