Advice on delay/echo

loopfinding

Poster Extraordinaire
I find the TC flashback tape mode fine for vintage slapback stuff.

But what I really like in certain DAWs is that they break out a bandpass filter for the delay line so you can really dial in the level of harshness (like an echoplex).

While you go hunting for a delay, see if with a mixer or pedal you can feed the boss delay you have into itself, but put an EQ pedal in the feedback loop (and use the EQ pedal’s output volume instead of the delay pedal’s feedback knob). That way you can tweak the character of the repeats yourself on the EQ pedal.

Last edited:

JohnnyCrash

Doctor of Teleocity
For purely slapback, if that is really all you will use, there’s just not much room for a inexpensive delay to sound different than a fancy one. Unless of course it’s noisy or unreliable or something.

This is dead-on perfect advice.

My old BOSS RV-3 sounds harsh when using long spacey delays. But for slapback, it all happens so fast you can’t tell much of a difference.

So, if you’re looking for only one sound out of a delay — slapback — you don’t need to blow a bunch of money on a mega boutique pedal.

I do prefer the sound of an analog delay for slapback or otherwise. My Carbon Copy isn’t going anywhere. It’s great all around.

AngelStrummer

Friend of Leo's
Try harder with the DD-3 is my heartfelt advice. You'll also learn to trust your ears in the process. Seriously, there's nothing wrong with gear you have if you're prepared to put in the time.

RetroTeleRod

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Thanks @CalebAaron666 and others for the analog delay recommendations. I’ve picked up a second hand Maxon AD9 today and, yes, it’s right there for rockabilly/The Cramps - fantastic.
And thanks @AngelStrummer and others for advice on digital delay/the Boss DD-3 - yes, I’ll be keeping it/working on it.
Thanks again everyone 🙂
Congrats! I've never tried the Maxon, but I love analog delays for slapback. My favorite right now is the Carbon Copy. With the Modulation switch engaged it helps the repeat to stand out in the mix, IMO. I use my Boss DM-2w on the Custom setting for a longer/brighter echo. Slapback rules!

Old Plank

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
I like the Danelectro Dan Echo that I bought used. It sounds better with something in front of it (boost/od/eq) to give it a little push. None of my amps have an effects loop so these go straight into the amp. I've been more about echo/delay instead of reverb lately.
Ditto (repeat?) on that, no matter which echo/delays I try, I always go back to the Dan Echos which come very close to my tape Echoplex that I compare them with. I have 2 not only because I saw a used one for $50 one day, but also because breakage of the jack solder direct to circuit board can be an issue (which has happened to mine once) so I wanted a back-up.

Jack Clayton

Tele-Holic
I agree with you about the dd3. I love it for certain things, but not the slapback you are talking about.

You've done a good job describing your preferred tone (rockabilly, not U2.) Based on that, I'd say you definitely DONT want a Deluxe memory man, or something similar. This is a category of bucket brigade delay defined by brighter repeats, and more musical modulation. The DMM is my personal favorite, but not what I use for slapback. For that, I want something REALLY dark. The Ibanez or maxon would probably be the ticket. So would the carbon copy. My personal favorite slapback is the DOD FX90. Super dark repeats. Sits really nicely in the mix.

That's if you are going analog. If you are opened to trying more modern digital delays designed to mimic old tape machines, the Keeley Mag Echo is simple, affordable, and sounds awesome.