Advice on complaining about music played in workplace?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Killing Floor

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
What if these guys wrote a rap song about op and blasted it. They’d steal his lunch n be like this fools always in the kitchen he be tripin when we hide his chicken then hes hear a song about him that would be hilarious.
Don’t hide someone’s chicken

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I believe I have a fair perspective on life having lived long enough to witness the breaking of the sound barrier to the breaking of America's moral values.

Our country is much, much different today. I suppose it depends on your perspective whether it's better or worse. From my perspective, I always wish it was the summer of 1959.

fenderchamp

Friend of Leo's
I believe I have a fair perspective on life having lived long enough to witness the breaking of the sound barrier to the breaking of America's moral values.

What is the Allegory of the Cave?​

Plato’s "Allegory of the Cave" is a concept devised by the philosopher to ruminate on the nature of belief versus knowledge. The allegory states that there exists prisoners chained together in a cave. Behind the prisoners is a fire, and between the fire and the prisoners are people carrying puppets or other objects. This casts a shadow on the other side of the wall. The prisoners watch these shadows, believing them to be real.

Plato posits that one prisoner could become free. He finally sees the fire and realizes the shadows are fake. This prisoner could escape from the cave and discover there is a whole new world outside that they were previously unaware of.

This prisoner would believe the outside world is so much more real than that in the cave. He would try to return to free the other prisoners. Upon his return, he is blinded because his eyes are not accustomed to actual sunlight. The chained prisoners would see this blindness and believe they will be harmed if they try to leave the cave.

tanplastic

Friend of Leo's
r9bofcf.jpg

Red Ryder

Tele-Afflicted
Well I don't live in a cave either physically or mentally and I've seen enough evil to last a life time. I sure there are many of you that enjoy certain lifestyles that are being promoted and openly displayed in public. Everyone makes choices. It's up to the individual to make the right one. They say you shouldn't judge people. Everyone judges and all are judged in the end.

Last edited:

2HBStrat

Friend of Leo's
Where I work there are a few bluetooth speakers employees can use to play music. These are the kind of speakers that can play really LOUD. 95% of the time, what is blasting out of these speakers is rap/hip hop. It's not just awful from a musical perspective, it's ridiculously vulgar and offensive.

I've spoken to one manager about it (nothing done) and am considering filing a more formal complaint with HR. I need advice, not just on how to approach this, but whether I even should.

Now, I'm sure someone here is going to fault me for passing judgment on this "music," or tell me how there's a lot of really great rap, or even accuse me of being racist. So, understand a few things:

This isn't just someone playing music on a speaker for their own listening. This is someone BLASTING this music on a speaker. I mean really, really LOUD. Just use earplugs, you say? I do, and it's still LOUD. Use earbuds to play my own music? Not allowed.

There is little in the way of musicality in what I hear there. Typically, there's a riff that's repeated over and over and over throughout the "song," with angry sounding yelling over it. It is virtually nonstop yelling, with no "space" where you hear actual music. The beats are programmed beats, not actual drumming, and there are obviously sampled snippets of horns or female voices repeated throughout a cut to the point of annoyance.

I recorded a few snippets of audio with my phone last week in anticipation of approaching HR about this. Here's some of what's on these audio snips:

- "You little stupid a$$ b!tch, I ain't f_ _ kin' wid you. You little stupid a$$ b!tch"
- "Suck my d!ck", repeated yelling of "n!ggas", "mother_cker"
-"Biatch, biatch, biatch" (yelled repeatedly)

Has anyone else filed an official complaint with their HR department over someone else's music and music volume? How did it play out?

I'm really conflicted on this. Should I just keep my mouth shut and not make an issue of it?
Do you work in a strip club in the hood?

fenderchamp

Friend of Leo's
I sure there are many of you that enjoy certain lifestyles that are being promoted and openly displayed in public.

I'm not sure what you are implying here. What lifestyle are you sure that I and many of the other members here, must be living that is being promoted and openly displayed in public? I'm just another working stiff, who happens to be a guitar player and telecaster enthusiast, very much like I would imagine, nearly everybody else on this forum.

s-l300.jpg

Buckocaster51

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ad Free Member
As is usually the case, the standard group of malcontents has caused this thread to "jump the shark."

If you think I am talking to you, I probably am.

Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.