Advice on complaining about music played in workplace?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sloppychops

Tele-Afflicted
I haven't read all the replies. You certainly can't be the only one this music bothers? Have you talked to other coworkers about it that you're friends with?
Yeah, there are some guys there who also can't stand it. One of them brought his own speaker in today because he's so fed up with it.

sloppychops

Tele-Afflicted
He needs to solve this himself.
We’ve already discussed how long threads make us not want to read all the replies.
He’s getting horrible advice.
We don’t know the while story.
It seems like someone’s first job.
I mean, you really can’t solve this?
Don’t make the situation worse, you’re ganna have to see these people all the time. Going to hr for many reasons is horrible advice.
Go to work and play some Chic, maybe they’ll let you play your music too.
It sounds like they have more say than you do. You probably shouldn’t be telling then what to do.
And your rant seems tacky.
This is the tdpri, 11page threads about rap isn’t the best place. Rock music will get better results here, just the way it is.
Do you go to the rap forums and talk about pop country?
Hardly my first job, dude. I'm an old fart at my first warehouse job after years of white collar work.

sloppychops

Tele-Afflicted
Also, since it hasn’t been locked yet and I haven’t gotten any warnings in a long time…

You should be aware that Rap today is what Rock was when you grew up. If it’s too loud and/or you don’t care for the lyrics….

Also since I know only about 3 people on this forum believe and understand that rap is art (much more so than rock) why not invest in noise canceling headphones?
Seriously? I wish I could send you my audio snippets and see if you tell me it's "art."

MilwMark

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
If you know that particular episode you know that Opie did the right thing because the pain of that black eye was nothing compared to the shame he felt for not defending what was his.
Shows like this taught the value of good moral character and knowing right from wrong.
Unfortunately nowadays children aren't taught these values. Through our educational system, job systems and entertainment industry they are being taught to tolerate everything and try to reason things out. That feeling of shame takes years to shake and sometimes can take a nasty turn of events. Look at some of the examples in our prison system.
Teach your children right from wrong and how to stand up the values this great country was founded on.
Which great country? It's a global internet forum.

Killing Floor

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Seriously? I wish I could send you my audio snippets and see if you tell me it's "art."
No need to send clips. Just share the song names. Use Shazam or other app if you don’t know who it is. I’m quite familiar with the genre. There are a lot of reasons Kendrick Lamar won a Pulitzer Prize for distinguished musical composition. It’s not handed out as a favor.

tanplastic

Friend of Leo's
My best guess:

"Biatch"

"Lil Stupid Ass B!tch"
mjBoz4p.jpg

MilwMark

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Official policy from corporate is no music, no headphones/earbuds, no cellphones. Our facility is much smaller than most, though, and they allow music and cellphones for playing music (but not for talking/texting).

Going to HR on this could easily turn into a "no music anywhere" policy, which I don't want because I like being able to listen to my stuff. Difference is that I don't (can't) blast it like those who commandeer the big speakers and I don't play vulgar, profanity laden garbage.
Hmm. That's a toughie.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Before I really got into construction I worked in a slaughter house after I was discharged. 340 men on the kill floor and everyone had a knife, meat hook or some other type of dangerous tool. Things could get pretty ugly quick. There were a lot of young men who had only been back from the jungle a couple years and violence was a big part of there young life.

I don't say this argumentatively, I would not work in a place like that. First, the chance of altercation would be way too high, second, I don't like working with other people to begin with. I didn't blame anyone for my lack of compatibility with others, I just chose work that allowed me to work alone.

Fortunately for me, I overcame many of my shortcomings in time to secure a job, that along with some investments allowed me to prepare for and carry out my retirement plans.

I know there are many worlds out there, but the one the OP works in is not one I would stay with if for no other reasons my own shortcomings when it comes to getting along with larger work groups. I tried several times to work in a "shop" type environment, even when I was successful, I never really liked it. I much preferred operating a piece of equipment, or hitting the road in a diesel truck.

highwaycat

Tele-Holic
What if these guys wrote a rap song about op and blasted it. They’d steal his lunch n be like this fools always in the kitchen he be tripin when we hide his chicken then hes hear a song about him that would be hilarious.

scottser

Friend of Leo's
Official policy from corporate is no music, no headphones/earbuds, no cellphones. Our facility is much smaller than most, though, and they allow music and cellphones for playing music (but not for talking/texting).

Going to HR on this could easily turn into a "no music anywhere" policy, which I don't want because I like being able to listen to my stuff. Difference is that I don't (can't) blast it like those who commandeer the big speakers and I don't play vulgar, profanity laden garbage.
OK, you answered your own question. The most you can ask of them, respectfully, is to turn it down.

sloppychops

Tele-Afflicted
Yeah, I think the thing to do is just calmly and politely ask if he/she can turn it down a bit or move the speaker further away from me. If that doesn't work, I'll ask to be moved to a different area.

Fortunately, it's not every day this happens. Today there was just one goofball about 50 feet away from me blasting some inoffensive, weepy chick singer music. I usually work in a more or less solo capacity and was able to play a couple hours of instrumental surf music and then some Delvon Lamarr Organ Trio and Frank Zappa on my speaker, so it was a good day.

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Haha, I guess I wasn't thinking in those terms. But the older I get the smaller my world becomes.
Interesting.
Not saying my way is even good never mind best but I find myself in a growingly global state of humanity.
I do know many who try to curl into a smaller view but it doesn’t seem to help THEM or THE WORLD.

Status
Not open for further replies.