Advice on buying first tele

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by grautur, Aug 27, 2014.

1. grautur

grautur TDPRI Member

Hi all, I hope this thread is in the right forum.

I've been wanting a telecaster for a long time and I think I'm ready for the purchase. I'm in Iceland so guitars are more expensive here then in the US/UK/Europe and thanks to hefty taxes importing isn't really any cheaper. I've been looking for used ones around and found a few but I wanted some advice on whether a new one might be better. So my options are:

New:
    Squier Vintage Modified Special ~ $500
    Squier Classic Vibe 50's ~ $560
    A new Fender for much more

Used:
    Fender American Standard (2002 or 2003 model) ~ $940
    Fender Classic Series '69 Thinline ~ $1.190 (New one costs about $1.400)

For reference, importing a $500 guitar would probably cost around $1.000 with shipping, maybe even more! The other option would be to get someone who's coming from abroad to bring it with him so I only have to pay taxes and not shipping.

I'm leaning towards the Squier CV50 since the price seems the most reasonable compared to US prices but I wanted some advice whether the Standard or Thinline are worth the price tag (compared to the Squiers).

Thanks!

2. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

My vote would be the used American Standard. It's almost twice the money of a new Squier, but it's a much better guitar and will retain its value, should you decide to sell it some time down the road.

By the way, welcome to the TDPRI forum. Lots of good help here!

3. repeatofender

repeatofender Tele-Afflicted

FenderGuy is right.
    Welcome from Texas!

4. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

^^^^^This, and welcome aboard. ;)

5. pondcaster

pondcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Yep, FenderGuy nailed that one!

Now if an AVRI'64 (PV'64?) were in the mix...

6. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Yes, but with this caveat:

The American needs to be in top shape. If the American has worn or damaged fretwork or the neck is out of specifications, it would be a mistake.

My suggestion is to be patient. One of the advantages of being in the USA is many players can pick up a nice guitar in a few minutes; something they'd be satisfied with for a long time. Since you're limited in supply and expected to pay much more, you need to slow the clock down and really take great pains finding the right guitar and closing the deal. Try and take this slow as you can stand.

7. grautur

grautur TDPRI Member

Thanks for the answers and the warm welcome!

I forgot to mention that the American Standard comes with a G&G Vintage Tweed Hardshell case so that makes it an even better deal. The guitar seems to be in good shape although the paint job on the body has suffered a bit (nothing terrible). You can see pictures here (good luck understanding the text): https://bland.is/til-solu/afthreying/hljodfaeri/fender-telecaster/2390961/

I'm going to contact the owner for further information. And don't worry boris, I will be patient :)

8. euro

euro Tele-Holic

Based on the photos I saw of the guitar, if you check with the seller first, or even better, have a chance to play it, would be a good deal. The look is wonderful and if the neck feels good to you, and the guitar is not heavier then you wish, it looks like a good deal.

Have you looked on line for music stores that do sell to Iceland musicians? Some might have other teles for you to look at.

Also, check the listings from Japan, as they send guitars all over the world. If you check all the options, it might open up one or two that you do not have right now. Do not be too quick to jump on a guitar, unless you are totally sure it is the right one for you.

Try to get the best tele you can afford too, as it will hold it's value much better.

In any event, best of luck. I hope you find the exact tele you desire.

9. WineCaster

WineCaster Tele-Holic

Wait and get a baja

10. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire

Grautur, welcome, I say get the best one you can now. If you settle for a cheaper one, you will probably end up replacing it eventually and paying the shipping twice. Good luck!

11. ambar_de_kotu

ambar_de_kotu Tele-Meister

I think your instinct is right: get the Squier CV50. It is an awesome guitar and you can always upgrade the pick ups down the line

12. grautur

grautur TDPRI Member

Just a quick update for those interested:

I just got offered an Squier Custom II Vintage Modified for $385. The owner says the frets have been filed and the guitar set up. It would certainly be the cheapest entry for me into Tele ownership but I'm not sure it's the right axe.

13. rudyy_

rudyy_ TDPRI Member

Welcome. My suggestion is somewhat off-beat but, well worth considering.
    Plan a trip to the US. I suggest New York, but most big cities will do. It shouldn't be too much for a ticket from Iceland (I often use Icelandair when going to Canada) and you can stay at a hostel or even try couchsurfing.org You can use the money intended for taxes and/or shipping, and it won't cost a fortune. Along with the sightseeing, you can check out local classifieds, guitar stores, even pawn shops, and try many guitars first-hand. Also, you will then have a US shipping address, which is convenient because many sellers ship free, or at a very reasonable price. No tax too.

I suggest getting a MIJ Tele. Pretty easy to find on the used market, once in the US. If you score a mid 80's- early 90's model- the better. Can't be beat for the price, and the build quality rivals many American-made models.

14. BritTwang

BritTwang Tele-Holic

Ignore me, I just read the part where you are in Iceland...

15. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

When you say "used around here", I'm assuming those are guitars that you can put your hands on, and maybe demo through your amp, or an amp you may purchase.

From 31 years of Tele-only ownership (of electrics)...I cannot emphasize enough the importance of obtaining a guitar that YOU like. Ignore the "reputations" of a certain model over another. Get acquainted with the ones available locally and see if one says "take me home, and I will be a lifelong friend." Don't laugh--that's how I came to own the Tele I have played exclusively for the past six years!

If shipping costs and availability are that much of an issue, please consider this too: if you order a guitar and find it needs major setup of any kind to suit you...can you do that, or do you have someone who can?

Personal opinion? Maybe the Squier CV50. Never played one, but I have read some awesome testimonials here about those guitars.

I wish you all the best, hope you find "the" Tele--and welcome. We're glad to meet you.

16. olefudd

olefudd Tele-Meister

Squier CV 50 gets my vote. A Hole Lotta geetar for the money.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.