Advice needed- thinking of selling everything and starting again

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by ReggiedaDog, Mar 14, 2019.

1. hdvades

hdvades Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Same here. Sold an Am Spec Tele to get a new Am Pro and had the same impression. It's gone too.

2. Cheshiergrin

Cheshiergrin Tele-Holic

so you need a little excitement in your life, you want some guitar strange, kick one or two to the curb and get one that gives you that for the first time feeling. ;)

Paul in Colorado likes this.
  3. OldDude2

OldDude2 Tele-Holic

I like the concept, but I'm also stocking up for future grandkids. I have ordered no less than 3 from my yet to be married son, but he's not moving recklessly enough to actually deviate from his plans:confused:

I'm very proud, but a hoarder at heart:oops:

4. PC_Hater

PC_Hater Tele-Meister

Get rid of the guitars you don't like.
    Then try out some very different guitars you wouldn't normally go for. Try a Steve Vai 7-string Ibanez.

Two examples: I bought the cheapest Chinese Tele I could find as a test-bed for pickups, tuners, bridges and - ah - guitar synths. Never really liked Teles before that but I have ended up with a love of the Telecaster that now has some very nice custom made bits from Warmoth on the way to me.

I like Les Pauls but they are far too heavy, fancied an SG but that neck joint... A BC-Rich Mockingbird with straight-through neck does the job for me, very very nice guitar, and it has so many switches and knobs I don't have to add any!

I have an Epiphone Firebird because I didn't want to pay the high price of a Gibson Firebird. I wish I had bought the Gibson now because I would definitely have done the same severe body mods on the Gibson that I did to my Epiphone!

5. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

Make sure to audition something in the ES335 genre, an offset, and something Gretschy. Look broadly before narrowing in. If I could only have one guitar it would probably be my Ibanez AS153 (335 style).

Route67 likes this.
  6. LocoTex

LocoTex Tele-Afflicted

Quitter! :D

7. carpenter

carpenter TDPRI Member

pickups will make big difference . Just installed sey duncan custom shop billy gibons bridge humbuckers,made for telecaster. pearly gates amazing sound.

ReggiedaDog and Mincer like this.
  8. blaine bueche

blaine bueche TDPRI Member

I would say that you might be in the intermediate guitar player doldrums.
    Your guitars appear to be very high quality guitars.
    The fender American professional telecaster is quite a fantastic guitar.
    As well as almost any American made Gibson Les Paul.

That happened to me in a guitar Center. I was playing a Gibson Les Paul standard, and it just seemed like it was missing something. (It was missing a good guitar player.)
    Then a studio musician said let me try it,
    he dialed in some EQ dialed in some excellent gain.
    And proceeded to play mind blowing rock and blues I immediately wanted to buy the guitar because it was such a really good guitar.
    If you gave your telecaster to John 5, you would then figure out your guitar is inspiring, the other part of the equation is to play music that you really enjoy.
    It becomes easier to get inspiring music out of the guitar. Just learn to play every single Led Zeppelin song and you'll find your telecaster does it perfectly. and your sound and tone is amazing.
    Practice more with one of your best guitars is the key.

Route67 likes this.
  9. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

The bigger question is why did you buy the stuff you're not that into?

I still really like guitars I bought 20-30 years ago. If I didn't like them I wouldn't have bought them. Maybe go out and play a bunch of stuff to figure out what you like or maye decide what you don't like about what you have.

Also, what is an 88 white guard Tele? I have never heard of that.

radiocaster likes this.
  10. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

^^^ This. Buy a really nice neck or two. Then decide just what body/color would really float your boat and buy the body. Build it up from there, just the way you'd like it. You will likely bond with an instrument that you personally created far more than one that was assembled at the factory.

I've done this with quite a few Teles and a few Strats and these guitars become like your "babies" you won't want to part with them.

And the nice thing is that you can shuffle around necks and bodies and pickups as needed to arrive at just the perfect combination for you.

Personally, with my parts casters, I've only bought Fended-branded necks and bodies and never been disappointed - they always goes together trouble-free. eBay, Reverb, and Stratosphereparts are your primary suppliers for necks, bodies, and hardware.

Be aware, though, this can easily become addicting! I enjoy creating these instruments almost as much as I enjoy playing them. :eek:

11. ReggiedaDog

ReggiedaDog Tele-Meister

[​IMG]

Here’s my 88 white guard!

I sat down last night and spent some serious time with this and my new American Pro. The AmPro is starting to (re)grow on me although the colour leaves me cold (sonic gray). I think for now I’m keeping the two teles as that just seems to work, and if I bond with the AmPro might fit an aftermarket body in a colour I prefer.

A few people have said why I bought all the others? We have saying we’re im from - “more money than sense”. I keep half my gig earnings for gear (the rest going into a vacation fund) and I do 5-6 gigs a month so it doesn’t take long to amass some cash. These were mainly impulse buys.

That said, if I’m planning on selling 3 of my guitars that gives me some scope to get something nice with a different voice, am leaning towards a semi/hollow of some kind (ES330?) but will go and try lots of different things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Route67 and hrstrat57 like this.
  12. GreatDaneRock

GreatDaneRock Tele-Meister

Do you do your own setups? I firmly believe that a lot of guitars I got rid of in the past thinking they sucked only needed a good setup.

I now do my own setups, I'm really great at it and I could probably make good money setting guitars for other people (but I refuse to do so as I don't want to hate doing this).

My advice, learn to do your own guitar setups and get good at it, and make sure you have the appropriate tools. Tools are inexpensive and it doesn't take a lot of time to master. You'll be so happy you did and your guitars will play like butter, better than new I promise you.

GDR

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
    ReggiedaDog likes this.
  13. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Afflicted

Try a Heritage H535

You're welcome

noah330 and ReggiedaDog like this.
  14. ReggiedaDog

ReggiedaDog Tele-Meister

Well I made a choice. Tried lots of guitars and found this lovely ES335 with 57 classics. It’s not the best clean sound but throw some gain at it and it comes alive. I also had enough change to buy myself a used Revstar 820cr because that was a bloody awesome guitar as well. With my two teles this’ll be some lineup!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Irondog and Paul in Colorado like this.
  15. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

If you want more chime and sparkle and can't get there with just your amp settings it might be worth
    trying a plain old EQ pedal such as a GE-7. Scoop some mids, back off on some bass, and you might get
    the clean tone you're looking for. You also might actually use the GE-7 to reduce the overall
    output a little bit (opposite of boosting). Another reason why humbuckers don't have as much
    prettiness with clean tones is partly because they also put out a stronger signal than typical single coils.
    This can push the pre-amp section of the amp into mild distortion sooner.

Yamaha makes great guitars and the Revstar series are very cool and underappreciated, IMO.

Twang Deluxe and ReggiedaDog like this.
  16. ReggiedaDog

ReggiedaDog Tele-Meister

Thanks Chris- I use a Helix HX but there are several EQ options so will give that a go. Thank you

17. fatcat

fatcat Friend of Leo's

I second this motion.

Or sell them all; take the cash and be very deliberate, over time, to buy just one. A very good one that feels right.

ladave likes this.
  18. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Friend of Leo's

whenever i get that feeling, I just put on a new set of strings, and bob's yer uncle...

19. Twang Deluxe

Twang Deluxe Tele-Meister

I totally agree with you!

20. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Good choices! Adjusting pickup heights makes a big difference on a 335-type guitar. You might want to experiment, but remember where it was when you started.

I'm going through this with amps. I have a bunch that I can't really carry anymore and I need something I can easily gig with. I'm thinking a single channel Deluxe Reverb type amp would be perfect. I might have to go with a custom builder. I really don't want to let go of my late '60's SF Fender's, but if they aren't being played, what's the point?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.