Advice needed: small issue with otherwise pleasing build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by markbastable, Oct 11, 2013.

1. markbastable

markbastable Tele-Meister

I posted pictures of this build a few weeks ago, and received many complimentary comments, for which thank you.

[​IMG]

However I have discovered a small issue, and I don't know if it's soluble. I don't even really know how I could have avoided it.

The guitar's a little neck-heavy. Strapped on, the neck tends to fall gently away to about the horizontal, or a bit below. It's not unplayable, but it is irritating, especially in an instrument that in every other way turned out exactly as I wanted it.

So, is there's anything I can do to remedy that problem?

And, for future reference, how could I have avoided it in the first place, given that it's difficult to see how you can know whether there's even going to be a problem until you put the neck and the body together?

2. Casual_Reader

Casual_Reader Tele-Holic

nice work, but first I've seen of it.
    what's the neck made of?
    did you hollow out the whole of the bottom half?
    maybe some sort of ballast? Thicker strap?

a few posts after the thinlines plans appeared in the pdf thread, I added the math for the mass. 6th and 10th post on this page: http://www.tdpri.com/forum/tele-home-depot/157004-printable-guitar-template-pdf-5.html

I figured people would use different woods - different densities / weights.

ideal body weight for balance? That's for people with more experience to chime in on.

otherwise - the whole of the guitar would have to be modeled in 3d with materials used for a center of gravity - hopefully on the back side of the midpoint of the strap buttons.

3. Mojotron

Mojotron Poster Extraordinaire

Sure - SG owners have dealt with this for decades :) this is what I do: 3/8 steel rod weighs roughly .33 Oz per inch. Buy about a foot of it - or a whole 3' rod from a HW store. Then cut out some 4-6" sections of the bar and tape them to the area around the output jack to get an idea of how much weight you will need.

Once you have a good idea of how much weight you will need - if putting it at the jack location - start looking for a spot to put the weights. There are two easy places to put the weights (for #1 and #2 below thicker rod works better as the density will be higher if you use something like 5/8 rod or perhaps a thick steel plate...):

1) cut them into 1" sections and stack them inside the control cavity - just epoxy them in - they will be easy to take out if you need to with a soldering iron.
    2) leave them in relatively long sections, throw some flat black paint on them and try to lay them inside the f-hole: This is never that easy, but it's a decent place to add some weight - but the balance will be a little off playing seated.

3) Then, there is another place to add weight, but you have to drill some holes. If you take out the output jack, now inside of that big hole for the output jack, you can drill some 3/8" holes up - about 20-30 degrees from the center of the output jack hole - then just slip the rod in those holes - adding a little CA or Epoxy to keep them fixed in place... replace the output jack and forget those rods are even there. I think even in the most severe situations I've seen, less than one foot of 3/8" rod was needed.\

Fishing weights work really well as they are lead - really dense stuff - but kind of expensive and steel rod works great. I don't try to work out the balance of body/neck before I build because there are a lot of ways to fix that just by adding some dense material near the end pin/output jack.

BTW - add a little more weight if you place the weights closer to the front of the guitar, they need to be placed in the plane between the end pin and the bridge to work well.

4. Casual_Reader

Casual_Reader Tele-Holic

or lead. gold, platinum or tungsten seem a bit overkill for the purpose.

5. ezas

ezas TDPRI Member

What kind of neck is it? I'm on my tablet so I can't make out the name on the neck. I ask because the Warmoth Pro construction necks are heavy.

My 7/8ths Warmoth strat came out neck heavy. A wide leather strap helped and I also adjusted by playing with the neck held higher.

But with that said, getting a new neck with a single truss rod from USGC is on my guitar project to-do list.

6. ItchyFingers

ItchyFingers Tele-Afflicted

7. gitlvr

gitlvr Friend of Leo's

You can move the rear strap button off center more to the bass side of the body. That might help the rear end to drop a bit and give a bit better balance. If you have locking tuners, you might also think of changing to standard to save a bit of weight there as well.
    Another thing that helps is to get rid of a nylon strap, if that's what you're using, and find a leather one that has a suede backing. These usually grab a bit on clothing and help prevent sliding, whereas the nylon just slides all over the place. I'd try this first.

8. Bentley

Bentley Friend of Leo's

I think he built the neck ;)

Maybe look into getting a strap to go from the endpin to the nut?

9. Franco.ZA

Franco.ZA TDPRI Member

My SG also does this though I thought nothing of it, first thought that pops into my head is to stick a few lead weights onto the inside of the control cavity cover . I think I'll give this a go , i've drilled into that guitar before and don't feel like the terror of it again.
    In retrospect I should have bought a tele to begin with

10. Mojotron

Yep - standing, I play with the guitar a little on the high side (no chemical references there...), but not real high: I use a thick leather strap (I made one - partially made from used up flight-deck boots from when I was on the USS Nimitz...) - but I can use the same strap and the same holes for all of my Teles and they always sit in the same position. I can feel some neck heaviness in the guitars that have that problem, but that kind of a strap will take care of 90% of it.

11. Mojotron

Na. SGs are pretty cool - I love SGs

12. Franco.ZA

Franco.ZA TDPRI Member

They are indeed , heck when I got it I was all about the Angus Young. but my skinny plank sg blushes when I jam with my friend who has a beautiful butterscotch tele

13. Mojotron

It's a good thing to have both :lol: life is easier with choices, but I only like the SGs with the '61 style neck joint.

14. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

I'm a big SG fan and my black 94 has Rotomatics on it and dives a bit. Found some beautiful ivroid buttons on eBay and will but them on this weekend to see if this diet helps. An SG with some under wound PAF style pups is an amazing guitar. Could be a big SG weekend!

Rob

15. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

Get a strap that doesn't slide...:)

16. Ronsonic

Ronsonic Tele-Afflicted

Back in my post-glam punk days when I was playing an SG it was a leather strap and fishnet shirt.

17. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire

That's the simple Fix

18. Jim Beam

Jim Beam Tele-Meister

Yes. My wife patented a device that bolts on to the neck plate. It is called the Comfort Rod. It has a rod with a strap button on the end that extends an adjustable distance down the back of the neck, about an inch behind. You can still access all of the fingerboard, it does not affect playability. But you can balance your guitar without adding any weight to it. PM me if you would like more info. Or see it at katcreekguitars.com

(edited to add: click on Products, then Comfort Rod)

19. markbastable

markbastable Tele-Meister

It'd simply pull rather than slide. And anyway, if I can, I'd rather solve the problem of the guitar being unbalanced than mitigate it.

JimB - thanks for that. I'll IM you.

20. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

It's irritating sometimes, but only if you allow to bother you. Not an issue while you are playing, right?

My LP/SG custom was neck heavy, and I just kept a hand on the neck all the time. You don't want the neck flying around on a crowded stage anyway.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.