Advice needed on Truefire courses

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TokyoPortrait, Feb 1, 2018.

1. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Tele-Afflicted

Hiya!

Hopefully this is the right forum to use.

Can anyone explain the *exact* details of Truefire's pricing, hopefully through experience?

Specifically, while I get the 'full membership' = 'unlimited access' bit, what does it mean to 'purchase' a course?

I assumed it meant you got the actual video files and other resources to download and keep.

However, hunting around on their website in different places, 'purchase' seems to imply different things. They state in one place "download...for offline access...streaming access...forever," but in other places they *seem* to imply there are limits to this.

What I'm sort of guessing, is that you get to 'keep' streaming rights into their app as long as you remain either a "free" or "all access" member. And additionally, you get downloadable "offline" viewing as long as you remain a full access member.

It's all a bit unclear though, so, does this sound right?

I don't want to find myself in a position where I have spent a hunk of money, only to find all I've 'purchased' is access rights that only work while still having to pay for a membership.

I realise I can just join as a full member, however, I also know how much free time for watching things like instructional videos I have, and I know myself. I doubt over a year I'd get through more than three courses. Probably only two. So, that's around US$60 or US$90 vs US$199 for a year's subscription.

Any info or advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Pax/
    Dean

2. jdgladw

jdgladw Tele-Meister

I can't really help you with membership aspects as I am not signed up for that. I've just created an account as a free student and order the courses I want as instant downloads. Based on Truefire's FAQ, I think the "All Access" plan only gives you the ability to stream the lessons. I don't think you can download them. If you want to be able to own the lesson, I think you'll have to buy them à la carte. I have purchased a bunch of individual courses and have them all downloaded on my computer. When you purchase instant downloads the courses all stay in a file on your Truefire dashboard and the download links within stay active, or at least they have so far for me. It has come in handy a time or two when a hard drive has died. Also, fyi, if you want to save a little cash when buying courses, Truefire has 50%-off sales every year around the Easter and Thanksgiving holidays.

troy2003 likes this.
  3. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Friend of Leo's

If you're only going to utilize 2 or 3 courses a year, why not just purchase the course you want then? They have sales practically every week, and you can get most courses on sale for around $15-20.

With that, you can download and keep all the audio, video, and course material forever.

You also can install their media player which is actualy pretty good, to organize all your purchased courses, and through there you can download anything you've purchased for offline use.

4. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

As you watch the individual lessons they download to your computer (when you purchase a course). No connection necessary after that.

5. DSharp

DSharp Tele-Holic

I've been a full access member for several years. I don't know how the math works out, but I like being able to check out different courses when I want to. And only being able to stream them is no problem for me since I'm always hooked up to the Internet. If you're not going to use it much, buying individual courses obviously makes sense.

6. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Afflicted

Hi Dean, I am not a "full member", but I "purchased" the Bill Kirchen course two years ago for $14.25. I am able to:
    1. Download the entire course to my hard drive...videos (mp4), TAB (pdf), and jam tracks (mp3). I can view them in either the Truefire player or any old media player, pdf reader, etc.
    2. View the course material from any computer on the Truefire website by logging in.
    3. View the course material from any computer, tablet, phone, etc. by downloading the Truefire app and logging in.

7. rich815

rich815 Friend of Leo's

Are they good courses? A good way to learn?

8. Junkyard Dog

Also, I just remembered that when I purchased the Kirchen course, I was also given a free "all access" membership for a week or ten days or something. I don't know if that is standard for all first time purchasers, but if so then that may be a way for you to get a feel for the "all access" and still come away owning a complete lesson.

I will say the lesson I purchased (as well as the others I checked out during my "all access" week) is very high quality with regards to audio/video production, organization, presentation, etc.

I'm a 100% satisfied Truefire customer.

rich815 likes this.
  9. Junkyard Dog

Rich, I think so. Go to their Youtube channel. They must have a video up from every single course, so you can get a pretty good idea if it would be applicable.

rich815 likes this.
  10. JazzboxBlues

JazzboxBlues Tele-Afflicted

I like the courses I have.

rich815 likes this.
  11. rich815

rich815 Friend of Leo's

Will do. Thanks.

12. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

I thought that I would just buy a couple of courses and be done with it, but in the end it turned out to be the more expensive route.

I recommend the full membership, just beware that they run sales regulary, so with a bit of patience you can get a yearly membership for 100$ instead of the usual 200$.

rich815 likes this.
  13. TokyoPortrait

Hi there.

Thanks for the replies everybody. I think I now have a clearer understanding. Feeling more confident about shelling out some money now.

I forgot to mention in my opening post, they have a new version (v3) of their desktop app (and possibly the iPad app, but it's unclear - for example, on one page they say they don't have an app to allow downloading to Android devices, but on their app download page, under a banner that says "Download and stream courses on any device," there's also a link to an Android app).

Anyway, in relation to the desktop apps, and as far as I can tell from the comments here and what I've read, while you once could download individual files, etc., from now on it will all be stored / managed / accessed inside their app. I found this on one of their help pages. It was posted yesterday.

"Moving forward we will only be launching courses inside this new Desktop app. Individual course downloads will no longer be available. You can choose to keep/archive the older individual downloads or delete them."

This, along with something else I can't find now, was what was making me feel a bit nervous.

Still, putting the pieces together now, it all seems reasonable. I guess they are just trying to protect their content.

Oh, incidentally, Junkyard Dog, currently you can sign up for a free trial before any purchase, and you get 30 days worth. Enough for a good snoop around.

Thanks everyone.

Pax/
    Dean

14. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Friend of Leo's

Have you actually contacting Truefire DIRECTLY with your questions?

They're probably better equipped to tell you these things than a bunch of forum members like us.

They have an EXTREMELY responsive help desk that will reply within a matter of hours, and are very helpful and competent.

Matt G likes this.
  15. TokyoPortrait

Hi.

Yes, I did.

> ...better equipped to tell you these things than a bunch of forum members like us.

Actually, I thought that was the smart move. When you can't walk into a store and view a physical product, nor talk face to face, then read what the the company that wants your money says, research what others who have parted with money say, read what others who position themselves around the internet as experts say, ask qestions to those that might know / have had actual experience. Then sift all the results. That way you must think, you learn stuff, you distance yourself from impulse buying and eventually form as sound a conclusion as you can. Seems perfectly reasonable to me.

No way directed at Truefire either, just what I always do.

Pax/
    Dean

rich815 likes this.
  16. TokyoPortrait

Speak of the Help Desk, I just received a reply.

It seems when you purchase, either as an all access member or not, you get to "...essentially own that course forever."

By "essentially," it means to access it you must use their version 3 app. It downloads to (and streams through) the app.

I don't have a problem with that. I presume it's an attempt to thwart file sharing and the like. Seems reasonable.

Also, I feel compelled to add, according to their email, they did reply quite quickly. It's just been bouncing around the internet for a bit, compounded by different time zones.

Also, I want to add, even though I had to jump through a few pages and close a few windows, I could at least see Truefire's pricing without having to first join up as a free member. I looked at two of their competitors yesterday too, and as far as I could tell, to see any pricing I had to first sign up. That put me right off.

Pax/
    Dean

kdmerchant likes this.
  17. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's

I think the all access plan is really expensive at $200 year, probably cheaper on sale. I just buy courses during their sales. I think last year (my first year playing a lot again after a really long period of playing little or none) I probably spent as much as I would on an all-access plan, but I got a LOT of material to work on and I doubt I’ll buy more than 2-3 courses per year going forward, if that. If I was paying for all access, I’d feel compelled to use it all the time. Once I buy a course, I can explore the specific lessons when I feel like...

I really like the lessons though. I’ve gotten a lot out of them, particularly on my rhythm playing...

18. TokyoPortrait

Hiya!

Thanks.

I think I pretty much feel the same way. I'll probably end up spending about US$100 - US$150 or so at the start (the plan to date), but I think that will last me at least a year, if not more. Then, after that cherry pick at sale times. At the moment I'm using the one month free all access trial to kind of audit various courses to see what I want. Already rejected some cos too easy, and a whole bunch more cos too difficult. Narrowed down to around 6 potential ones. Shopping, as they say, is entertainment...

Pax/
    Dean

rich815 likes this.
  19. eclipse

eclipse Tele-Meister

You can still download courses you have purchased with the old stand alone players. They are available through your dashboard under other downloads.
    This is important for people using linux or older versions of mac os and windows.
    Even under the newer Truefire 3 app you can work offline and even access the individual video, audio. pdf and guitar pro files.You can also stream full courses that you have purchased.
    New customers get a 30 day free trial. Also sales are so frequent that is the best way to purchase courses or memberships. Sometimes Valentine Day has 2 for 1.

20. TokyoPortrait

Hi there.

Thanks for the info and the Valentine's Day pointer.

I think it's coming soon too. I'm never sure - they have split it into two gender specific events in Japan, with something called White Day too. Never underestimate chocolate companies or their marketing abilities ;-)

Anyway, I'm thinking of lines right now -"Honey, guess what I bought you for Valentine's..."

Pax/
    Dean

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.