Advice Needed on Buying a Strat

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
so that leaves olympic white and sunburst to choose from.

FWIW - Hendrix famous Woodstock guitar was OW, your buddy might be keen on that little bit of mojo ;) As for the rest, you're getting some good advice here, so I don't really have anything to add. The AO's, AVRI's, Classic Players, etc. etc. are all fine Strats for sure.

ahiddentableau

Tele-Holic
Of all the variations there is one thing that I don't get at all, probably because I'm not a Strat player. Why would anyone want a guitar with a 7 1/2" radius? 9 1/2", 12", compound....great, but what is the appeal of 7 1/2"?

For a lot of people it's the whole "that's the way Leo did it in the 50s so it's gotta be right!" which (with all due respect to our patron saint) is kind of dumb. But other people like the feel of it because of the greater curve, especially in first position. It can be really comfortable for chording (again, open chords most especially) and if you're not the type to use a lot of bends there's not much in the way of a major downside so long as you are comfortable with that much curve.

So yeah, I agree with you and much prefer the 9-1/2" radius. But it comes down to history and feel--feelings and feel. Both are subjective!

electroman

TDPRI Member
For a lot of people it's the whole "that's the way Leo did it in the 50s so it's gotta be right!" which (with all due respect to our patron saint) is kind of dumb. But other people like the feel of it because of the greater curve, especially in first position. It can be really comfortable for chording (again, open chords most especially) and if you're not the type to use a lot of bends there's not much in the way of a major downside so long as you are comfortable with that much curve.

So yeah, I agree with you and much prefer the 9-1/2" radius. But it comes down to history and feel--feelings and feel. Both are subjective!
I'm a traditionalist myself when it comes to guitars, but both of my parts Teles have compound radiuses (radii?) and I wish all of my guitars had them. The 7 1/2" radius seems to require higher action to avoid the choking of notes when bending strings. Yes, with all due respect to Leo as he got so many things right.

ahiddentableau

Tele-Holic
I'm a traditionalist myself when it comes to guitars, but both of my parts Teles have compound radiuses (radii?) and I wish all of my guitars had them. The 7 1/2" radius seems to require higher action to avoid the choking of notes when bending strings. Yes, with all due respect to Leo as he got so many things right.

Totally agree with you as I have had the same experience with my builds. Compound radius necks can be fantastic. My number 1 guitar has a 9-1/2" to 12" compound and it's fantastic to play. I didn't think I'd notice much of a difference--it's only 2-1/2" inches, right?--but I was wrong and I do. Makes me want to try other compounds, in both directions (maybe one that starts near vintage radius at the 1st and another that starts around 10" and goes flatter like the standard warmoth model).

Blackmore Fan

Tele-Afflicted
I'd highly recommend the Vintera 60s series or their predecessor the "Classic Player 60s" series. They are absolutely amazing Strats.