1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

ADVICE NEEDED – Strap button fail!

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by dejvid, Mar 6, 2012.

1. dejvid

dejvid TDPRI Member

Hello everyone, this is my first post on this pretty awesome forum... Expect some more posts from me soon.

So, one of the first things I did when I got my Tele (MIM, Classic Player Thinline Deluxe, Swamp Ash body) was to install a pair of Dunlop Straploks. They did the job pretty decently on my Squier, and thought they'd be great on the Tele. Only problem is that after some use, the screw holding the bottom straplok bent, cracking the finish and making a clearly visible (and awful) dent. (See pictures).

After a period of not caring, I have finally decided to do something about it. I plan to: get another screw (the one I have is bent), fill the present cavity with a mixture of matchsticks and PVA glue, some polyfilla or something similar (any suggestions) and then drill/screw afresh. I'm not sure if anyone with a similar experience could help me solve this problem more professionally. Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

sounds like a good plan to me ... i'm lazy, so i would fill the hole as you describe, replace the bent screw, then find a black washer to cover the area around the screw hole ... [​IMG]

3. dejvid

dejvid TDPRI Member

Thanks rangercaster. To tidy it up, I was thinking of using felt washers, like these:

4. Glen Smith

Glen Smith RIP

I don't think the felt washers are large enough to cover all the damaged area.

5. dejvid

dejvid TDPRI Member

Possibly not. I might have to drill a new hole instead of the old one. The felt covers should be able to cover it. But any suggestions are =)

6. Glen Smith

Glen Smith RIP

I don't know if you are equipped to do this but I would: Drill a hole of about 1/4" diameter deep enough for the screw length. Glue in a piece of 1/4" wood dowel. Drill pilot hole and drive in a new screw to "cut the threads" then remove the screw and install the strap lock. I would also sand the damaged area and apply paint of a matching colour or close enough to matching. You could probably buy a small bottle of paint intended for plastic car/boat/plane models. Testors is a common brand.

7. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I would use a felt washer and install a 1 1/2" SS screw instead of the little short cheap screws they seam to provide with most strap buttons.

If the Felt washer doesn't cover up the blemish, you could use some model paint black to touch up the spot. Honestly, I wouldn't worry about the cosmetic fix, but I would install the longer screw and felt washer.

8. dejvid

dejvid TDPRI Member

Thanks for the tip – could you please elaborate on what a 1 1/2 SS" screw is? Not too familiar with inches, and I don't really know what an SS screw is!

9. Hack On Wheels

Hack On Wheels Tele-Meister

1.5 inch long Stainless Steel (SS). I don't know what threads your current screw would have, but a decent hardware store will be able to match it.

10. LeftyAl

LeftyAl Friend of Leo's

A longer screw and washer will do the trick.And your guitar strap will cover any area thats not cover by the washer

11. bingy

bingy Friend of Leo's

Matchsticks are not hardwood.
    You need hardwood in there... other than that your fix is correct.

12. Bubbalou

Bubbalou Tele-Meister

1.5 inches is about 39mm.

http://mdmetric.com/tech/cvtcht.htm

13. dejvid

dejvid TDPRI Member

Thanks for the tips everyone. Bingy, would you suggest a hardwood dowel? Most of the manoever will depend on some good wood filler.

14. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

Yes, as Bingy says, matches are made from soft pine. If you're not going to dowel it, then at least get some hardwood toothpicks in there.

15. bingy

bingy Friend of Leo's

A small dowel that has a certain amount of perfection is, a bamboo skewer, they come in several sizes.

I don't know what you mean by "wood filler" but the only things you need are a piece of wood (that roughly fits the hole) and wood glue.

Fill the hole with glue before you insert the wood (tighter is better) then clean off the mess.

Let it dry (overnight is best). Cut off the plug flush with a sharp blade. Poke a new hole in the in the new wood with an awl or compass point to make a pilot hole. Drill it out with the proper size bit and you are done.

16. caferacer

caferacer Tele-Afflicted

wow that is a shame, look's like you are going to have to replace the whole guitar
    either that or find a longer screw

17. jefrs

jefrs Doctor of Teleocity

Problem with Straplok is their screws have a smaller head than normal, and these are slightly longer than the stock button screw. You /can/ grind or file the head of a normal screw to smaller diameter. Personally I gave up with Straploks, I kept the buttons on, but a larger longer screw will fit the standard button

Problem with ramming a hardwood dowel into the end grain of the body is that it can cause the timber to split. It needs to be drilled to accept the dowel, and the dowel glued in, and then pilot-drilled for the screw, to the full depth.

When I need a serious dowel I use box (very hard) or blackthorn (hard) or hazel (soft), which we grow and I harvest a little each year. Bamboo skewers and toothpicks are for small screws and where mechanical strength is not required. The strap button mounting requires mechanical strength.

18. jguitarman

jguitarman Tele-Afflicted

Are you sure that the original screw was screwed in all the way? I've never seen a screw bend like that. Either the screw is garbage metal or someone put a lot of stress on the endpin.
    I would be inclined to notify Dunlop that the quality of their screws is lacking.

19. Flynman

Flynman Tele-Meister

Just be aware that those dunlop strap lock screw heads are an odd size...also make sure you tighten down the screw enough so that the strap lock is snug against the body. If they are not tight they wiggle around and cause the damage that you mention. +1 on using hardwood to fill hole.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
  20. dejvid

dejvid TDPRI Member

I was sure it was screwed in all the way, until it caved in. Now I'm not so sure. Have been in touch with Dunlop customer care, who so far have been very helpful.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.