Advice from a "good ear" on figuring out lead runs and chords...

klasaine

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
It’s funny when you slow it down and try to learn it, cause you have to gauge what’s a mistake and what’s intentional.

On giant steps at one point coltrane rams a D natural over the Bmaj sequence in anticipation of the Gmaj section, and it seems pretty intentional, but there are other points where he hits the maj 7th on the Bb7 and I think it’s just a mistake. In the latter case for your own sake I think you have to decide that it’s better to play the changes and not the actual solo.

Similarly Wes does some things like that as well, but then other times he’ll sub a min7 or min9 arp over dim or half dim, but it sounds cool and he’s doing it on purpose (maybe for facility’s sake?), so just roll with it and do it his way.
There's a part in D-Natural Blues (Wes) that no matter how "I" play it, it sounds wrong, but when Wes plays it, it sounds perfect.
That's how it is, especially with jazz - Timing and lighting.

Larry F

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
The Amazing Slow Downer has been one of my most used tools. The quality of tracks that have independently varied pitch and time has always been very clear and without warbles.