1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Advice for pickup setup...

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by greysun, Jan 21, 2021.

1. greysun

greysun TDPRI Member

Hi there! Been a while, but I'm back and trying to upgrade my telecaster again.

Current setup: Novak hum-cancelled tele bridge, Novak vintage Jazzmaster neck.

I love the bridge pup. The JM neck is better (to my ears, anyway) than the tele neck was, but still a bit muddy for what I'm going for.

I might be finding myself looking into humbucker territory for the neck pup, but keeping my single coil tele bridge. I really dig the sound of Chris Sutter from Meat Wave's guitar:

https://www.jadedinchicago.com/2018...at-thalia-hall-11-15-18-photos-katie-hovland/

Looks like a deluxe with an F-hole (I'm not versed well-enough in Teles to know exact model). Thinking I might use that style pup in the neck position (looks like a fender humbucker with offset poles — 3 on one side and 3 on the other - kiddie-corner'd, if you will).

Can anyone speak to this? Has anyone done a hybrid tele bridge single coil and fender humbucker neck?

would love any thoughts. Thanks in advance!

2. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Hybrid Tele single coil...new one for me. What it is??? Do you mean a single coil sized humbucker? if so, why not?
    I have used single coil sized humbuckers in Tele’s and strats for more than a couple of decades....with switching. I like versatility.

3. greysun

greysun TDPRI Member

It's not a single-coil sized humbucker, but rather "hum cancelled" - https://www.curtisnovak.com/shop/tele-hc/ - half the poles are RWRP, so it's got the single coil tone and sound without the single coil noise! (It's actually quite nice)

When I said "hybrid" I meant having a single coil tele bridge pup with a humbucker tele neck pup. I'm sure it's been done to death, but curious to know more about the sound/tone it can achieve, and any potential pitfalls for wiring, etc.

(on a separate note, I may be asking you about single coil sized buckers for a separate Strat build now, hehe...)

4. greysun

greysun TDPRI Member

They sell something like it on Fender's website, but I don't trust Fender's promo videos as much as anyone that may have actual experience with different pickups:

https://shop.fender.com/en-US/elect...vintera-70s-telecaster-custom/0149723340.html

(I would use stacked pots instead of the dual vol/tone you see with that model)

I'm not a fan of the single coil tele neck pup (too muddy for a single coil, in my taste anyway), so I replaced it with a Jazzmaster pup to get the deep tone with a bit more highs, but it's just not playing well with the tele bridge pup.

but I really do love the tele single coil bridge pup - so I'm hoping someone with experience with this setup could help me a bit. Does that maybe clear it up a bit? Let me know! :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.