1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Advice For First Austin Visit

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by joealso, Mar 29, 2019.

1. joealso

joealso Tele-Holic

My wife has a business meeting in San Antonio at the end of October (Mon - Wed). We're thinking of flying into Austin the prior weekend and catching some music ahead of her conference. Never been, always wanted to go. "Live music capital of the world" as they say.

We're interested in what can be found in small venues and bars. Where can those be found?

Where should we stay that's convenient to those areas?

Where should we look for music?

Would Thursday - Sunday make sense?

What would you suggest for daytime activities?

Thanks!!

2. sleazy pot pie

sleazy pot pie Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Check out the continental club and the Saxon for bigger local acts. Cloys for blues. Sunday afternoon I would go to chicken **** bingo at the little longhorn or gueros patio for afternoon drinks and music. But bingo if you have to pick one of the two.

joealso and Nickadermis like this.
  3. Lost_N_Austin

Lost_N_Austin Friend of Leo's

Good advice so far. I would add Home Slice Pizza. Eat at the Bar on the stools where you can watch the dough being thrown and if Shane is working behind the counter, tell him you heard that he was good for a free slice of key-lime pie once in a blue moon>

Go to 365thingsaustin.com for a list of current activities. Also search the TDPRI archives for the answers that have previously been posted. Jo's coffee, and the Austin Motel Sign are must see. Get a picture taken in front of the Wall Art on the side of Jo's Coffee. Don't believe anything you hear about Austin traffic. It's actually much worse than that.

On second thought, Don't Wait until October. Have fun.

Lost_N_Austin

joealso likes this.
  4. joealso

joealso Tele-Holic

"It's actually much worse than that" - funny. Love me some key lime pie! Thanks for the tips

5. sleazy pot pie

sleazy pot pie Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Check out the bats on the congress bridge at dusk. You just can’t believe how many bats come out.

joealso likes this.
  6. Strum und Twang

Strum und Twang Tele-Meister

I'm a big fan of hitting the Continental Club (mentioned above) on Saturday afternoons - you can usually catch Redd Volkaert and a slew of talented dancers at the 3:30 PM show. Heybale, another Redd project, plays there on Sunday nights, I think.

joealso likes this.
  7. Telecasterless

Telecasterless Friend of Leo's

Leave your guns at home Bill
    Don't take your guns to town

joealso and Strum und Twang like this.
  8. joealso

joealso Tele-Holic

Awesome! I haven't seen Redd in years. Great tip. Thanks.

9. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

Check out Threadgill's on N. Lamar, order a Mexican martini or two or check out the Broken Spoke.

joealso likes this.
  10. Lost_N_Austin

Lost_N_Austin Friend of Leo's

A little bit of Threadgill's history. That was where Janice Joplin performed regularly and the last place she performed before heading out to hitch(hitch-hike) a ride to San Francisco. The rest is some interesting history.

The other Threadgill's location (South of downtown and just off of Congress avenue and the Colorado river/Ladybird Lake) has a lot of history with ties to the Armadillo World Headquarters. The walls are covered with pictures that are amazing. Plus the food is really good. You know - if you like fried okra, chicken fried chicken, meatloaf, home made rolls etc.

Go there while you still can.

Lost_N_Austin

joealso and teletimetx like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.