Advice for correct replacement of a Martin D-15M's tuning machine?

RoscoeElegante

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member
Hey, all. So the B string tuner on my beloved & battered D-15M just keeps slipping. Time for a new one.

I bought the guitar used about six years ago. It's in the 2002-2003 manufacture range.

How can I identify the right type/size replacement tuning machine needed here? Did/does Martin use standard enough "Martin"-marked tuners that I can safely go the "this type/size generally fits" route?

Martin D-15M tuners.png

Thanks!

Freeman Keller

Doctor of Teleocity
I think Martin still uses Grover tuners and you should be able to order from them. If you don't care take one of your tuners out, measure the shaft diameter and length and the style bushing you have (press or screw in, what size hole). Tuner shafts are pretty standardized at 1/4 and if you have press in bushings new tuners may fit the old bushing. It does seem like each manufacturer has their own bushing size, however, I have three different reamers for the three that I use most often. (edit to add that StewMac and others sell conversion bushings to fit one size shaft to another hole - measure to get what you need)

The other unfortunate thing about tuners is that the foot print and the location of the little mounting screw are not standardized - sometimes you can tell from the engineering drawing at a manufacturer's site but often you end up filling the little hole and redrilling.

I'll add that I've put open gear Gotohs on my old D18 and like them a lot better than the Grovers that were on it. Waverlies are even better and even more expensive...

Last edited:

Boreas

Doctor of Teleocity
You may be able to get a single replacement or a set directly from Martin or an authorized repair shop. That's where I would start. Contact them with the serial number and they can likely link that to the correct part number. Since you are not the original owner, I doubt it would be covered under warranty.