1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Advice for clean amp wiring

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by teek_s, Sep 26, 2020.

1. Bergheim

Bergheim TDPRI Member

I used to twist the heater wiring but switched to zip wire a couple of builds ago. A lot easier to work with, and no difference in hum level IME. I also use point to point with as little wiring as possible. Wherever possible, components are soldered directly to tube sockets, filter caps and pots/switches. Some tag strips here and there to join components "mid air". I also try to build the layout as close to the schematic as possible (filter caps for example are placed close to the tubes they're feeding).
    If you're building clones/replicas this method may not be possible though, and p2p with components running all over the place at different angles doesn't have that "botique" look.

Nickfl and awasson like this.
  2. teek_s

teek_s TDPRI Member

I just got finished with my 5F1 project a few miuntes ago, and even though the wiring doesn't look the nicest, currently it's the quietest amp I have.

awasson likes this.
  3. teek_s

teek_s TDPRI Member

Anyways, thank you all very much! I will keep all of this info in mind for my next build!

awasson likes this.
  4. Dennis Perusse

Dennis Perusse Tele-Meister

Honestly, have fun with the hobby and stay safe when you do it. I have built over eight tube amps so far and currently I am debugging still a Vox AC-10 that I built and I know that I will enjoy it when it gets done. Half of all journeys begins with what you want to build then find out that their is a whole lot more adventure in getting all the pieces together and then figuring out what doesn't work with it. :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.