1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Advice for birthday surprise?

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by Strahanjen, May 26, 2020.

1. gregj1964

gregj1964 Tele-Meister

I say go with your intuition. Seems like you have a good foundation in the relationship. Ask whomever you buy it from if you can work out a return if he's unhappy, given this special occasion. If they say no, go to someone who will.

If you know him well enough to do this, chances are he will be happy and touched. If you let him in on it, then it's no longer your gift to him necessarily, which seems like the point of it.

I wouldn't worry about him not liking it. You know your husband. Trust that. If he doesn't like it, and he can return for either something else or cash back, then you can deal with the other options. Whose to say he won't be bowled over and love it? Stay with your plan.

Of the ones you mentioned, I'd say either of the last two.

I think it's awesome that you and his mom want to do this. Don't waste it in a card with directions and options. Trust your judgement.
    Greg

PS. If it's a vintage fender he wants, get a vintage fender. Anything else will fall short.

Last edited: May 27, 2020
    Strahanjen likes this.
  2. gregj1964

gregj1964 Tele-Meister

Word.

Strahanjen likes this.
  3. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

3 or 4.

go for it.

4. DaveGo

DaveGo Tele-Meister

Gruhn's has a '68 maple cap in nice shape. It's been there a while at a not so horrible price which gives me pause. I was interested but they are not particularly forthcoming with details. "Whatta you wanna know?" Something about an obscured year date on the neck. Or something.

5. d barham

d barham Tele-Afflicted

What a great thing for you to do.

I'd trust Carter's or Gruhn to shoot you straight on their vintage guitars. They're not going to be the cheapest, but vintage is their business.

Of the guitars listed I'd go with #3 or #4.

Best of luck to you.

6. Strahanjen

Strahanjen TDPRI Member

Thanks for the tips. I'm curious about what distinguishes #3 & #4 for you from that list? Any particular features of the 1969 guitars? In my limited research, it seemed to me that getting as early a guitar as possible would be ideal. Is that not necessarily the case?

7. d barham

d barham Tele-Afflicted

To me it’s economics. The ‘65 and ‘66 just aren’t 3-4K more desirable than the ‘69’s with less issues.

The ‘65 might be ok, or the ‘68 might be the ticket. It’s really hard to tell without having them in hand.

If I was working with a 10k budget I’d probably go with one of the ‘69’s and a nice vintage amp.

If my wife surprised me with any of the above options, I’d be ecstatic.

8. cjp60

cjp60 Tele-Meister

Super nice of you to do this for your husband. What’s your budget? I’m in the camp of having your husband part of the hunt for the right guitar. I know I’d want to be. However, you know your husband better that any of us. Rumble seat has several Blond Telecasters and a beautiful Esquire which is a one pickup Tele essentially. I really like the 1967 smuggler Tele they have.
    http://rumbleseatmusic.com/fender-2/

9. Nightclub Dwight

Nightclub Dwight Tele-Afflicted

It would be great to go with a local-ish dealer who is well known. This decreases the chance of getting a guitar that is not what it is purported to be. Dave's in Lacrosse, WI is not too far from Minneapolis and has a stellar reputation. Willie's has been around for a long time as well, but I have no firsthand knowledge of them.

But to answer your specific question, I'd go with that original 1968 in a heartbeat.

10. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Friend of Leo's

Yep... I’m turning 40 next fall and my wife has just told me that it was the exact idea she had for me... just before telling me that unfortunately it won’t be possible for now :cry:
    Seems like I’ll have to wait 10 more years then!

11. aadvark

aadvark Tele-Meister

Firstly, Jen, would you consider dumping him and becoming my wife and mother? :)
    (actually, my partner is very encouraging - so I can't complain!)

Failing option 1, I love the idea of a surprise guitar on the day,as long as you're confident in the seller, preferable one with decent return policy and some other options if it doesn't work out.

Thirdly, the earlier in the 60s the better imho. It's a tough call. My previous wife gave me money on the occasion of my 40th, to go find a nice old P bass. Happily it is now our son's!

Good luck, and what a lovely idea.:)

Strahanjen likes this.
  12. aadvark

aadvark Tele-Meister

please let us know how it all turns out!

13. Strahanjen

Strahanjen TDPRI Member

I will, thanks again everyone! His birthday is next week. We can't wait to tell him of his surprise.

d barham and WingedWords like this.
  14. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Absolutely! Wouldn't a trip to Nashville to buy a Tele be cool? I would include Gruhn's to the above list.

https://guitars.com/inventory/category/fender-electrics

Part of the experience of buying your perfect guitar is the chase. IMO, I would agree with most others and give him the cash and allow him to try several vintage guitars that he is looking for. Unless he is just looking for an iconic investment, he may find upon playing them that he dislikes the neck profiles and fretboard radii on guitars of that era. He may actually prefer the neck on a newer model. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2020
    teletimetx likes this.
  15. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

fz0c1gs8vob41.jpg

:cool::)

Bill, lgherb, cjp60 and 3 others like this.
  16. WingedWords

WingedWords Friend of Leo's

Well? How did it go?

Alamo likes this.
  17. aadvark

aadvark Tele-Meister

??????

18. Strahanjen

Strahanjen TDPRI Member

We finally found a guitar that seems to be exactly what he's looking for, a 1967 Telecaster, previously owned by Stan Lynch. It will ship tomorrow!! Will send more info once he has it in his hands. According to the seller, it is truly a killer guitar. We hope that we agree!

Attached Files:

19. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

That is nice! Let us know how he likes it!

20. cjp60

cjp60 Tele-Meister

Great looking guitar! Keep us posted.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.