Advice for a solid state gigging solution

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by tapollok, Jun 7, 2021.

1. Ben Furman

Ben Furman Tele-Meister

H&K offers some good options to consider. The AmpMan is a very compact floor amp, and the Black Spirit series offers high power and MIDI programmability with onboard effects.

2. Marblatx

Marblatx Tele-Meister

Pretty much any of the older Peaveys like the Special 130 and others and you can't kill them.

5haun, Maguchi and northernguitar like this.
  3. davedederer

davedederer TDPRI Member

+1 million on this.

You can't tell anything about how you're going to sound playing with other people or, more importantly, at a gig, when you're playing alone in a room.

OMFG have invested so many dollars and hours into guitars, amps, cabinets, pedals only to find that in the heat of battle they don't cut it.

When you have a great sound guy in a controlled environment (some posters in this thread are talking about working in the pit at shows, which would be a good example of that kind of situation), yes, you can probably get your sounds together and go with a direct out to the FOH.

But for any rock and roll/club/wild 'n' wooly sort of situation, you don't know 'til you get there. And 90% of the time I am best off with fallback of a tele or strat into some sort of Fender tube amp that is a classic because it's earned it...from tweed Deluxe to Super Reverb to Twin, whatever. Some combination like that and I can generally figure out how to get the job done.

Maguchi likes this.
  4. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

I only know the Bandit, but don't doubt it. My Peavey has been dropped and fallen off of chairs and tables. Only damage was to the floor.

What I like about them as a multi-fx base is the option to patch right into the power amp. I did this with a Line 6 POD XT Live and got great results out of it, the amp never sounded better...that is, until I swapped in the very neutral sounding Celestion Seventy 80 for the stock Sheffield speaker. I was very pleased with the results, particularly the clean tones I was getting out of it. I can only imagine that with a more modern FX or modelling unit, the results would be even better.

5haun likes this.
  5. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I've been the victim of this twice. Twice burned, three times shy.

First time: I had an original POD, and I had it all dialed in to where I thought it sounded really great going into my Fender MusicMaster bass amp. I was really digging the tones. I had also had great success doing some direct recording with it. For those that don't know, the POD actually had different outputs for going into an amp vs. going into a P.A.

I was invited to audition for a band, and I brought this rig with me. It was playing with drums, bass, and a vocalist in their practice studio. Well much to my chagrin my sound completely disappeared in the mix. It was crazy!

Second Time: A couple of months ago I got a POD Go via a really good deal through a buddy in the industry, and have been having good success recording direct with it. I also purchased a good IR for it and worked on all my custom presets to get much better tone out of it. I also developed some presets designed for using amp/cab sim for going into a P.A. as well as presets that don't have amp/cab sim activated for going into a guitar amp. I had also downloaded a very good Deluxe Reverb preset with IR from Worship Tutorials that sounded pretty damn good to me. I was feeling very good about all the sounds and thought I had done a good job of dialing it in about as best I could. But then I do a rehearsal with my band and once again it didn't sound very good. I guess I'm an idiot, but it also goes to my earlier post about the fact that with a bog standard tube amp I KNOW I can get a good sound in a live gig situation. With modeling rigs I know it is possible, but I also know it is possible to blow it and have a pretty crummy sound. With a good tube amp and a couple of good classic pedals you have to be a total idiot not to be able to get a great sound out of it with just a few knob tweaks. Maybe I'm a total idiot so that's what I need to stick with....that's certainly what I've fallen back on. I still use modeling (hardware like Pod Go, or software VSTs) for recording at home, but not for live.

black_doug likes this.
  6. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Advice for a solid state gigging solution
    Become a DJ?

7. droliver

droliver TDPRI Member

Hard to beat a 100W Katana for solid value in that space

Grateful Ape and Bobbyoso like this.
  8. superjam144

superjam144 Tele-Afflicted

Blues cube artist

Grateful Ape likes this.
  9. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

EFX loop of the amp right?….almost reads like there is an fx loop on the ME80.

10. Mowgli

Mowgli Tele-Meister

Not trying to hijack this thread but I have to ask - You have used the "return" jack on your Quilter 101 mini as a "power amp"? If so, can you and anyone else elaborate on this?

Years ago I asked Pat Quilter, via an email, if that effects loop return jack could be used as a power amp and he said it wasn't designed for that. So I have refrained from running a separate tube preamp into that jack.

I'd love to hear what others have to say on this!

Thanks!

11. Maguchi

Maguchi Tele-Afflicted

I agree on the Bandit! I have a 1987 Peavey Bandit 65 that has countless gigging hours on it and is still going strong. Great sound and built like a brick s#!@house. Don't know about the sound and durability of the new Bandits, but I've played some from the 2000s and even early 2010s and they sound good and seem to be built solid.

PeaveyBandit.jpg

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
  12. Galen1960

Galen1960 TDPRI Member

I would think the PA speakers themselves would make a great bit of difference, but no one seems to mention this. Any comments? Showing up to a gig with an unknown or undesirable PA setup is a problematic situation I would want
    to eschew. Bring a tube combo as a security blanket.

tapollok likes this.
  13. Maguchi

Maguchi Tele-Afflicted

Yes definitely! Going direct into the PA can be dicey, some PAs it sounds fine, others not so much. You never know what you'll get. I'd bring a tube or SS combo and a mic and XLR cable as a backup. Even if you get a soundcheck and things sound fine in an empty club, that may change once the club is filled with people.

tapollok likes this.
  14. 41144

41144 Friend of Leo's

Really depends what you want to spend.
    Orange Crush 120 is a beast of an amp @ £400+
    But, so too is the Fender Champion 100 at c. £200.

brookdalebill likes this.
  15. Baja Telly

Baja Telly TDPRI Member

My buddy has been gigging very often over the last couple of years using a Seymour Duncan PowerStage pedalboard amp ... you should check it out.

There's a couple of different versions, but I think the PowerStage 200, which he uses a lot, would suit you very well. It has a great amount of headroom, is made to use with pedals and preamps (or multi-fx units), has an XLR out and cab emulation circuitry, and can easily push a couple of cabinets of pretty much any ohm rating. And, they have EQ controls so you can tweak the tone to suit you the best.

https://www.seymourduncan.com/single-product/powerstage-200

tapollok likes this.
  16. jayroc1

jayroc1 Tele-Meister

Check out the quilter mini heads or the old music man amps from Leo fender days

17. Strebs

Strebs Tele-Holic

I just ordered a teal stripe Studio Pro from GC used because I wanted a pedal platform with an effects loop. Sounds like this is exactly what I'll be getting! Yay me!

tapollok and NoTeleBob like this.
  18. NoTeleBob

NoTeleBob Tele-Afflicted

Only problem I ever see with those is that the effects loop doesn't get used and the send/return jacks get dirty. Since they are auto-switched when you plug into them, dirty means "no sound". Plug in and out of them a few times (or go pro and use contact cleaner) and you're golden.

You can also try a solid piece of ply in the rear for a closed cab and a sound change.

Maguchi and Strebs like this.
  19. mcstrange

mcstrange TDPRI Member

Katanas are great. I swear by Boss gear, it is bombproof. I have a Cube 80, 60 and 30 and the microcube. they are ridiculously good at what they do. Combine Boss with Boss and it's pretty seamless. I have the ME70 multifx and use a couple of other pedals with it, Dunlop Wah and a CS3 compressor and a few others through the PA sans Cube, pretty darn good. throught the 80 cube? yeah baby. If you can get a 60 grab it, a bit lighter on the arms and it will still rattle a small venue.

20. Strebs

Strebs Tele-Holic

I've got a can of DeoxIT D5 ready and I'm prepared to replace some caps if need be. If it's too messed up, I can just return it. It was pretty cheap so I'll probably invest the time into getting it fully working.

Maguchi likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.