Advice for a solid state gigging solution

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by tapollok, Jun 7, 2021 at 12:35 PM.

1. tapollok

tapollok Tele-Holic

Well this drops a fly in the ointment. I didn't realize there were so many Helix models at such a low price.
    I will start reading....

Thank you

2. tapollok

tapollok Tele-Holic

I just watched a very inspiring Pod Go video by Pete Thorn...I want to know more about the differences between that and the Helix models, but I'll probably order the Pod Go.

Pod Go users: There is no XLR out. Is that obsolete or unnecessary?

Cosmic Cowboy likes this.
  3. fleezinator

fleezinator Tele-Meister

Probably the biggest differentiator is that while Pod Go is rooted in Helix, it has already begun to diverge a bit from it in the sense that not all the new updates that Helix/LT sees will trickle down to Pod Go. In that sense, it's like 80-90% Helix stomp, or Helix LT LT, if you catch my drift. I've read over at TGP that this divergence will continue over time. I guess that's the nature of working with less DSP power to bring Pod Go to its current price point.

tapollok and Cosmic Cowboy like this.
  4. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

Not to try and deter or discourage you, but there's the potential caveat that the Pod Go may not be much of a plug and play ordeal. Here's a thread from our companion Stomp Box forum, where fellow member blowtorch has chronicled his experiences with the Pod Go:

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/pod-go-is-a-maybe.1070512/

Again - YMMV, but hopefully the contents of that thread may be helpful, just the same.

tapollok likes this.
  5. Cosmic Cowboy

Cosmic Cowboy Tele-Holic

The XLR thing can be a bit of a thing I suppose. But most snakes have 1/4"....I do have a pair of twin 1/4 to XLR in the event I am using the Pod Go at a venue that has no 1/4" compatibility. (Stereo is more good).

The Pod Go cannot run parallel signal paths...(Simultanious amps and stuff) It has less DSP. There are some Helix effects and things that seem to run about 2 updates behind (If the Pod Go gets them at all).

The poster above said it is 80% of a HX Stomp. I would differ slightly in my evaluation. The Pod Go has the expression pedal and 6 foot switches. The Stomp has no expression pedal, and 3 foot switches.

It is more like a baby Helix than HX Stomp.

6. tapollok

tapollok Tele-Holic

So, PA monitors only?

The input/output description on the Pod Go site reads:

"Audio connections include balanced stereo outputs, a duplicate amp out that can be tapped before the Cab/IR block"

7. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Afflicted

I had a mustang floor and thought it was cool. The only amp models I found useful, though, were the fender amps and mostly just set it on a clean deluxe reverb. Presently, I use the 63 Vibroverb amp model on a zoom ms-50g if I want to skip packing my tube amp to the venue. It sounds great and I manage everything else with a few pedals. Honestly, I don't quite get the necessity some players feel to nail the tonal minutia of multiple guitars and amp sounds at a gig. If you have the basic drive/effect palette going on, you're the only person in the room who will know the difference.

gitlvr and Jbnaxx like this.
  8. Cosmic Cowboy

Cosmic Cowboy Tele-Holic

Parallel signal path refers to the internal Digital Signal Path. In the Helix Floor, or LT...you can run two 'virtual amplifiers'. For example you can run a Twin and Dumble simultaniously ala Joe Bonamassa.

For connectivity, you can run (all including the Pod Go) in stereo to FOH and...if you wanted...a 3rd line to a stage amp or FRFR speaker.

tapollok likes this.
  9. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

There’s a 60+ page Pod Go thread over on TGP, if you’re seriously considering one I would definitely check it out.

tapollok likes this.
  10. tapollok

tapollok Tele-Holic

I am enjoying the hell out of it...

11. tapollok

tapollok Tele-Holic

Thanks for this

12. Frodebro

I played in a cover band back in the nineties, and got by just fine with a three channel amp and a few basic effects. But if I had access to the gear we have today, I would have been all over it.

BB likes this.
  13. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Afflicted

Well, good on ya mate!

14. Frodebro

Oops, I screwed the pooch on that one. It’s 370 pages, over 7,000 posts.

15. tapollok

tapollok Tele-Holic

LOL!....I think I'll just order one and spend my time with it and the manual! :twisted:

Frodebro likes this.
  16. Frodebro

Probably not a bad idea! The UI on the Line6 HX stuff is super intuitive, you should be up and running pretty quickly.

tapollok likes this.
  17. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

I read both threads. With all the great gear that's available, I'd say not sucking is a pretty low bar.

18. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I use a Tech 21 Flyrig 5 as an "amp" tone and then into a Line 6 HX Effects for all my effects and "utility" stuff like noise gate, tuner, compressor. I use this straight into the board when using In Ear Monitors and into either a Bandit (very old silver stripe one) or an 18-Watt Hughs and Kettner head into 1 or 2 Fender BassBreaker 1x12 cabinets. The central components - the Flyrig and the HX Effects are the same no matter what else I use.

I do find that, when using IEMs, straight into the board works very well, but when using old-school wedge monitors, I need to have an amp of some kind on stage or it just sounds like crap.

tapollok likes this.
  19. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I have a Pod Go. It sounds fine, but not as good as my all analog rig. So I just use it at home for recording and for playing with headphones. YMMV and all that.

tapollok likes this.
  20. Frodebro

I actually prefer my digital rig (Kemper) for the most part. The tube amps sound great once you wind them up a bit, but they’re Boogies and not really neighborhood friendly once you hit the sweet spot. If I’m going to be jamming with others and a drummer is involved, one of the Boogies goes. For everything else, the Kemper is the better choice.

Emmanuel_cpa and mkdaws32 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.