Advice for a solid state gigging solution

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by tapollok, Jun 7, 2021 at 12:35 PM.

1. Jared Purdy

Jared Purdy Friend of Leo's

2. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

Yeah, I don't need another amp, but the combination of features with the SuperBlock, especially for that price, has me very interested. For something very portable and flexible for gig uses, it checks all of the right boxes for me.

And since I know how loud my 101 Mini is, I'm not afraid of the SuperBlock not being loud enough.

I like how the Quilter stuff is focused on the needs of real world performance. It really shows with their products.

PhredE likes this.
  3. tapollok

tapollok Tele-Holic

Ok....so to address all the replies regarding different Quilter options...I'm intrigued by the idea that solid state output has improved so much.
    I was initially disappointed to see that the SuperBlock was "only" 25 watts. If those units are as powerful as you say....I think my search might be over

I really just need "power"...but that is really outstanding tone...at a stupid price.

@11 Gauge ...the Vox MV50 also looks like a solution. Would you recommend it on par, or near the Quilters?

4. tapollok

tapollok Tele-Holic

I have a solid cabinet with a 12" Eminence Red Fang, and another with a"The Wizard"....both at 102.5 DB
    I think I'm gonna order the SuperBlock and take it for a spin. With these efficient speakers, I might be golden.
    Thanks all.

PhredE likes this.
  5. 11 Gauge

That's sort of a tough one. For what the MV50s do, IMO they are surprisingly good, but they are very stripped down. In my case, I mostly just run the Boutique model clean. I don't ever use anything that just a modest pedalboard though, so IDK if one model of MV50 would be favorable over others with a multiFX, but I'm guessing the MV50 Clean might be the best choice for that.

Even after owning just the Quilter 101 Mini (non-reverb model), I think that they are pretty much in a class by themselves. Many of their models are probably on par with what the average user would consider to be on the spendy side (especially for SS, given the stigma that exists to some degree, even to this day), but once you've had one, you'll probably conclude that they pack more performance and features than other current SS amps. I just don't get the impression that they cut any corners with the Quilter stuff. As good as the MV50 or my Kat 50 might be, they almost seem like toys in comparison. That might be unfair to say, but that's just the feeling that I have.

...But for your specific needs - I think it's pretty clear that something like the SuperBlock would be a better fit than something like the MV50, simply because you can either run it into a cab, or into the PA (or both).

PhredE likes this.
  6. tapollok

tapollok Tele-Holic

Thank you for this....pretty much settles what happens over the next 30 days.

7. tapollok

tapollok Tele-Holic

Yeah...the mixer is old...I will spend more time this Sunday trying to dial it in...point of my post was to inquire about all options. We will be playing thru other venues' PA's and I'm talking through whether I can truly go ampless

black_doug likes this.
  8. cyclopean

cyclopean Poster Extraordinaire

They’re great. How high do they go up wattage wise? My cube 20 isn’t really gig worthy but i know they make bigger guns than that.

9. cyclopean

cyclopean Poster Extraordinaire

Maybe a keyboard or a bass amp if all your tone is coming from a pedalboard or multi fx?

10. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Afflicted

Modeler + FRFR cab!

I am using a Headrush Gigboard and 2 Headrush FRFR108 cabs for stereo. The rig sounds fantastic and you can feed it to the FOH too!

11. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

If you already have a 12" cab and just need clean power, I'd suggest a Quilter head.

PhredE likes this.
  12. Ron C

Ron C Tele-Holic

I bought a Quilter Aviator 8 in 2016 and it’s all I’ve used since for gigs. The other guitarist in my main band bought a Quilter Micro Pro 8 a few months later, again no looking back, his tube amps haven’t left home since.

PhredE likes this.
  13. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Afflicted

I am a little surprised this has not been mentioned yet, but in the interest of completeness..

If you're seriously contemplating the ampless option and are amenable to Fender tones..
    let me ask: Have a Joyo American Sound (AS) yet? (a Tech 21 Blonde knock-off that is popular and not expensive at $40)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07S8NZTZD/?tag=tdpri-20

Theoretically and practically, you could forego the amp (and speaker) and do:

Guitar >> Pedals/Effects Unit >> Joyo AS >> PA/Mixer

Some people have done this and like it. Some have done that and don't like it. Just depends on what works for you. There are a myriad of vids up on YT about the AS. I'd recommend giving some of those a look to start.

The quirk about them is, no one seems to really agree on terminology, descriptions, usage.
    To some they are a dirt box (a misnomer, IMO), to others a DI box, in my eyes more of a preamp/powerful EQ unit, -- so, they are flexible enough to be used in many ways.
    If you're into technical details, they are all analog SS, have pre and post (preamp) EQ sections, and 1MOhm input impedance, and do clean Fender tones reasonably well (some like them for dirt, I don't as I don't 'play dirty' much anymore).

At $40 though, you may decide to keep the unit anyway even if you end up going with the amp in the end. Pretty cool to have either way.

Good luck :)

14. 11 Gauge

The American Sound is actually a DI box as designed, because the cab sim is always on. Later models of the Blonde have a cab sim defeat switch, which is probably what I'd go to the trouble of getting (used somewhere), if I ever intended to use it with a traditional amp setup. It would be cool of Joyo to update their copy to include the cab sim defeat, but I think they would have done it by now.

I got an American Sound a couple of years ago, just on a lark to try using with traditional SS amps. For me, used like this, it was a bust, probably primarily because the cab sim made things sound not so immediate, or sort of muffled or something. There was no way I could set the knobs to get the right treble response, in particular. It was either too dull or harsh sounding.

If only using the AS with a PA or DAW, I think it's probably well worth spending $40 to hear if it would work. But if someone wants the added flexibility of using it with a traditional guitar amp, I'd spring for the Blonde, making sure it's one with the cab sim defeat (V2, it looks like).

...With just a cursory check, it looks like the Blonde V2 is available from just a few places, with a starting price of ~$170. That would probably personally just steer me back to something like the SuperBlock US, since that gives a 25 watt amp and XLR out for just $80 more.

Very much in agreement that the AS is a great low cost way to experiment, but not sure if the OP wants to bother fooling around, or is just hoping to get something that's probably a good gig-specific solution.

chris m. likes this.
  15. tapollok

tapollok Tele-Holic

Thanks, I have often thought of buying one before this new band....back when I could have used the tone-shaping ability of the Joyo.
    However, I currently need a neutral tone platform to run a multiFX.

I have to stomp my way through patches for:

Smells Like Teen Spirit.....4 patches
    Enter Sandman..............3 patches
    One of These Nights.......3 patches
    Ex's & Oh's...................2 patches
    Black Dog....................1 patch
    Kiss (PRince)................1 patch
    .....and mostly 1 patch for 40 other songs.

The Mustang has the ability to change to a "stomp box mode" whereby you can stomp 5 different effects on/off rather than change patches....but for some songs it's easier/better to just set up the patches differently.

So....you get the idea.

MisterZ likes this.
  16. tapollok

tapollok Tele-Holic

Yes...this.

I don't have the time or interest to experiment much. What little time I have (I own a company with employees)...I need to devote to playing and learning songs I've never played before.
    I adore this band. At 57, I will never have the opportunity to play at the level of these musicians. So...priorities. I believe a SuperBlock will be on its way tonight.

17. Cosmic Cowboy

Cosmic Cowboy Tele-Holic

The Helix/Pod Go has a feature called snapshot mode where each patch can have up to 4 'snapshots'. Basically I build the patch for each song, and can kick on the needed snapshot for an intro/outro, solo section, or whatever. It clones the 'parent' patch and I can adjust which stompboxes and stuff I am using and dial every patch with 4 variants.

It's very useful. I have spoiled myself with this feature.

fleezinator likes this.
  18. tapollok

tapollok Tele-Holic

Thanks for this...
    I was planning to wait and see how the first few gigs go before I get serious about a new pedal, but the Helix is on the shortlist.
    Do you gig with it/them...and do you go direct?

Cosmic Cowboy likes this.
  19. Cosmic Cowboy

Cosmic Cowboy Tele-Holic

Yes and Yes.

I play up to 4 church gigs a week at a few different area churches and I use the Helix exclusively. I put so many miles on the Helix that it was getting pretty beat up and bought a Pod Go to take the beatings.

At these type gigs, I always go direct with a mix of 3rd party IR's and factory IR's. I have developed a good working relationship with the soundguys at these churches and we are on the same page and it works great.

I am also in a cover band that plays everything from Merle to Guns N Roses, to Grateful Dead, to Stevie Wonder. This setup is using the Pod Go as an amp modeler and 'pedalboard' going into the return of a 50 watt tube combo I had modded for this purpose.

This band has yet to play a gig, but has had 5 or 6 rehearsals with some dates booked for 4th of July weekend, and I will be using the Pod Go>tube amp solution. It is really great actually.

tapollok likes this.
  20. fleezinator

fleezinator Tele-Meister

Small clarification on the Helix Floor & Helix LT: there's 8 snapshots available.

Sunday P&W player here going direct. In that world, Helix seems to be a big, if not the biggest, platform. I too am spoiled with snapshots :)

Cosmic Cowboy and tapollok like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.