Advice for a solid state gigging solution

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by tapollok, Jun 7, 2021.

1. whetherkings

whetherkings TDPRI Member

For pedals I was really surprised how good the Vox AC15C1 is. I think they’re great for the money and size.

doghouseman likes this.
  2. Cosmic Cowboy

Cosmic Cowboy Tele-Holic

I have a rig that I run a Pod Go as a preamp modeler and "pedal board" into the FX return of a 50 watt tube combo.

I have done 5 or 6 rehearsals and found it extremely useful. I spent alot of time dialing patches in for the set and it has been worth it.

I understand why guys would want this kind of setup. I havent gigged it yet, but I will. And I will mic the cab...no line out from the processor.

3. tapollok

tapollok Tele-Holic

Thanks again for the replies. I get ALL the sounds and effects from the Mustang. I set up my amp clean...no reverb...flat EQ.
    I've gone direct from Mustang to PA with good results in blues band several years ago. I was using only clean to crunchy sounds and reverb.
    That's a taller order than the heavily effect-laden sound I need now.
    I DID experiment with the various amp emulation settings on Sunday...something else is amiss.
    Here's a clip from 7 years ago playing the Mustang Floor direct to PA.

4. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

How much power do you need; 50 watts, 100 watts? The Quilter Aviator Cub and Super Block have some great features for your app but 25 watts might not be enough power for you. Even so, I like the idea of being able to use the amp as a monitor while at the same time running the DI into the house system with speaker emulation. Great idea!

I've been playing a 101 Mini head for a few years and it's been a real workhorse for me. You can plug into the FX return and bypass the amps tone-shaping if all you want is to power your effects unit. You can always mic the amp. Power is 50 watts and 100 watts on a couple of the voices.

PhredE likes this.
  5. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

Yep, the OP requires more than just a SS amp that's loud and clean enough, and maybe covers one or two base tones, and it's (e.g. all of the effects) all got to be footswitchable.

And aside from the need for built in effects, the list of amps should be limited to those that can be used both traditionally and into the PA.

I'd probably personally do some multi-FX unit in conjunction with something like a Quilter SuperBlock, which I could foresee allowing me to cover possibly any number of songs, and I could run the SB into either a traditional cab, or right into the PA. Since the SuperBlock is only $250, that would allow me to put the brunt of my budget into a multi-FX that has all of the options and flexibility that I might need.

PhredE and Frodebro like this.
  6. Bri-Sonic

Bri-Sonic Tele-Meister

45 posts in and I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the Tech 21 Trademark 60. I love my Les Paul through mine and have had plenty of compliments for the tone. Two channel and takes pedals great. Sparkling clean to filthy dirty.

northernguitar, timbgtr and PhredE like this.
  7. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Friend of Leo's

Your setup there sounds great to me! I wonder why you aren't getting similarly good sounds 7 years later from the current PA equipment.

8. tapollok

tapollok Tele-Holic

The 30 watts from my Genz Benz is plenty for stage volume...I've never gigged it un-miked. So, if I power a cab and mic it...I would think something like the 101 would suffice.

9. tapollok

tapollok Tele-Holic

After all these great responses, I am planning to look at the Quilter line. Budget isn't a factor to a point. $250 is pretty cheap and I have plenty of cabinets to choose from.

PhredE likes this.
  10. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

solid state watts are typically a fraction of the dB you get from a tube amp of the same wattage.....

I just played a quick and dirty gig with a full band that included two other guitar players. The other two guys were using digital platforms-- one had a recent edition Line 6 combo amp, and the other had a Fender Mustang, one of the higher end, bigger ones. I have to say that both of their tones were pure poo-poo. My Rivera era Super Champ with OEM EV speaker sounded amazing.....and they were the ones to say so, not me (though I could certainly hear the difference, too). I have no doubt that with the correct tweaking these amps can actually sound fairly decent, but it is actually shocking to me how without proper tweaking they can sound SO awful. No matter how I tweak the knobs on the Super Champ I would be pretty hard pressed to get a bad sound of it, at least as long as I stay on its wonderful clean/lower gain channel and don't get too crazy on the hair-band sounding dirty channel.

PhredE likes this.
  11. tapollok

tapollok Tele-Holic

Thanks, but in that vid, I was going into the very high end FOH at the venue. This Sunday, I was going through my NEW band's PA in the rehearsal space.

12. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Afflicted

13. mjcyates

mjcyates Tele-Holic

Just recently picked up a Quilter Superblock. Haven't used it outside of my office yet but it is plenty loud for gigging and can be used with a speaker or xlr out to board.

IMG_0908.JPG

PhredE likes this.
  14. black_doug

black_doug Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

It seems to me that the problem is the PA settings. Was the gain knob on your channel set high enough? I don’t know which PA it is but it could even be that the cable from your unit was plugged into an input with the wrong impedance. I would start here before you spend any money.

BTW, you should not need a direct box after your XLR out.

chris m. likes this.
  15. whoanelly15

whoanelly15 Tele-Afflicted

Agree with this. No Speaker Out on any but the Artist in the Katana line, but I got a Mk I Artist used for cheap and it’s incredible. Line Out on all the Katanas work great for running into PA with no need for micing. Even the speaker out on the Artist shorts the internal speaker though. But that’s the only thing these amps can’t do.

Lot of other really good suggestions Roland Blues Cube (line out, no speaker out), bandit red-stripe (no line out), and my personal fave, the Orange Crush (speaker out, no line out).

Lot of good options these days, OP, but you’ll want to decide how you want to set up. Like fleezinator said, hard to not at least try a Katana, if you haven’t.

panhandler1956 likes this.
  16. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

Not just the PA settings, but the actual PA. I believe that the OP mentioned he sounded great going into a really good P.A. in past gigs. Conversely, a typical small club PA is really designed to sound great for vocals and to lightly augment the sounds coming out of drums, horn section, guitar amps, keyboards, and maybe just a little bass. But the typical modest power amp and speakers are often quickly overwhelmed if you try to crank it up much, and if you try to push too much instrument signal through it rather than using it to lightly augment and spread out the sound. If you try to replace all of the sound coming from traditional on-stage bass, kb, guitar amps, and natural horn/drum sounds they tend to flub out and not sound all that great, IMO. Fine for low volume coffee shop work, but not for an actual pop/rock gig, IMO.

I think that's the bottom line, really. Whether a worship band or a gigging club band, if you are going with a full digital to P.A. strategy then you need to make sure you have a much beefier P.A. system then what you could get away with in the old, traditional model of a P.A. only being sound reinforcement for everything but vocals. Otherwise it farts out on all the glorious higher amplitude transients that make instruments sound live. JMHO and all that.

black_doug likes this.
  17. 11 Gauge

A potential caveat with the InterBlock is that its power amp doesn't mimic a tube power amp (which has high Z out and low damping) like the SuperBlock does. IMO, that is one of the biggest advantages of Quilter amps - not only are they very loud for their rated power, but they also have a kind of tube-like quality to their power amps.

If I wanted to fully utilize an amp equally with both a traditional cab and the PA, I'd personally go with the SuperBlock over the InterBlock.

Also wanted to mention that the SuperBlock comes in two models - the US and the UK. So depending on what you want your core amp tone to sound like, one of those two might be optimal over the other.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2021
    PhredE likes this.
  18. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Tech 21 TM-60, If you can find one. It has a XLR line out to the PA that sounds pretty true.

Bri-Sonic, PhredE and brookdalebill like this.
  19. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Afflicted

Yup, check on that. Just wanted to make sure OP was aware of the older (if more limited..) version of it. Totally agree on the SuperBlock though. Looks like Quilter packed in the right set of features and it's not even expensive! :)

11 Gauge likes this.
  20. 11 Gauge

It used to be that way years ago, but there are plenty of current SS amps that are equally as loud as a tube amp of similar wattage, with some being even louder.

I have a Quilter 101 Mini that is rated conservatively at 50 watts, with two of the voicings actually maxing out at more like 100 watts. Even when turned up to just 25 watts on the master, it was easily louder than my '79 DR.

If you use one of these new Quilters with an efficient speaker, they should be plenty loud for most current applications.

I also have a Vox MV50 Boutique, and if I can run it at 4 ohms, I get access to 50 actual watts of output power. With a 2X12 cab, it's almost ridiculous just how loud it gets. My AB165 Bassman head is barely any louder, which is really astonishing.

Even my Katana 50 is surprising loud, at least certainly compared to any ~$200 SS amps I'd owned years ago. I think the major thing holding it back from actually being louder in this specific instance is due to the speaker and small cabinet. If I could fit an Emi Swamp Thang or Lil Texas in it, I bet it would be considerably more usable approaching max volume, because those speakers are both more efficient and tighter in the bass.

I honestly simply can't imagine anyone running one of those 200 watt Quilters with the MV dimed. I can't think of a modern day situation where that would be necessary.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.