Advice for a solid state gigging solution

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by tapollok, Jun 7, 2021.

1. tapollok

tapollok Tele-Holic

My GB Black Pearl went down at rehearsal yesterday. So, I ran my Fender Mustang Floor multiFX pedal XLR to the PA, but it sounded like crap direct to PA...just couldn't dial out the fizz or get enough volume.

I would like advice on a solid state solution. I need a multi pedal to get the 40 different guitar sounds I need to cover. From there, I would like the option to go direct to PA or to one of my 8 ohm cabinets...or both. I was thinking of the DV Mark FG head, but perhaps there is something like a Quilter that would be a better solution.

I've been on an 8 year hiatus...last band was a blues band and went straight into an OCD to my Tweed Deluxe....mic'd.

I am completely clueless about gigging gear now.

Thanks for any and all help.

2. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

A Peavey Bandit works well with a multi-fx.

3. J. Bonkosky

J. Bonkosky Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

+1 for bandit. Also check out the Orange crush series amps. The CR120 sounds really good.

Maguchi, Damon C, donnyrocker and 6 others like this.
  4. fleezinator

fleezinator Tele-Meister

5. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

My BOSS ME80 works great with or without an amp. I play at church straight into the PA and get good comments on my tone. It has all the effects you could ever want.... Sounds great thru my Peavey studio pro and my 5e3 and my Marshall origin 20.....

GeneB, robochimp1, SimonBaja and 7 others like this.
  6. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

I think either of your own suggestions would be fine. I played last Saturday with my Vox Pathfinder 15R chassis mounted in a one-12" cab. Plenty of volume, and I had my small pedal board for effects....all I used was a chorus, tremolo and 12-string emulator. But....Pathfinders are getting harder to find. :( Good luck.

7. drumtime

drumtime Tele-Afflicted

I'm looking at either DV Mark or Quilter. Quilter makes some interesting claims regarding how they design for more tube-like characteristics. They are also reputedly very good at customer service. DV is a bit cheaper, at least on the used market. I've read a couple of reviews referring to poor/nonexistent customer service.

I really like the very small form factor and high wattage with either one.

Ricster, pippoman and scotman like this.
  8. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

The Orange Crush CR35/60/120 models are good amps. They sound fantastic, and the CR60/120 models are built like brick dunnies. Have a look at the Youtube channel of Dave Simpson, he did a series of how many sounds can a CR120 make. He looks like Ian Anderson around the time of 'catweazle', but the fella can play and finesse an amp. The 60/120 models also have an FX loop for your modeller thingy if you'd prefer that.

Katanas get a lot of love on here. Could the footswitch of that be used to store most of your sounds in its internal gubbins?

The ME-80 sounds very good going direct to PA or a powered speaker. For the former, also buy an active D.I. Over the run from stage-snake to mixer, an active D.I will lose far less signal and signal fidelity.

An active D.I can work wonders. the Behringer Ultra-G model is an active that features a cab emulation. It isn't an impulse response, but a frequency curve. It works very well in practice. It can use phantom power or a 9V battery. No socket for your board power to run it. Other active D.I are available.

41144, brookdalebill and Dismalhead like this.
  9. D_Malone

D_Malone Tele-Holic

I'm not clear as to what's needed here. Do you just need a solid state amp w/speaker to run your multi fx pedal through, or do you want to go direct? Both maybe?

10. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

Peavey Bandit (clean channel) or Roland JC series if you're running a multi-effects unit into it.

Avoid the Headrush FRFR series. They suffer from a design problem that causes the circuit board to overheat and fail.

11. jim777

jim777 Tele-Meister

You can go from any of the Fractal pieces of kit, even the older ones and go right into the PA and sound fine. I play mostly at home through an AX8 and into a Mark IV combo, but due to weight of the combo when I play out (which isn't often) I just take the AX8 and a volume pedal.

flynv and Jwalker99 like this.
  12. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I really like Roland Cube amps, any of em’.

13. printer2

printer2 Poster Extraordinaire

As V-SG has said you need a speaker emulator to make the sound more PA friendly. Either as a stand alone unit or if the amp you choose has it.

Damon C likes this.
  14. regularslinky

regularslinky Tele-Afflicted

Roland/Boss products are unbeatable. I use a Roland Cube 60 COSM. It has a line out and a dedicated 8 ohm eternal speaker out that does not disengage the internal speaker - only amp I've ever seen with that feature. I run an additional 1x12 cabinet and it easily keeps up with a loud drummer and bass player. You can find them for $250-$300. I have two - one at home and one at the rehearsal space. They are built like tanks, they even have a metal grill. The only thing I don't like is that they have a plastic input jack that gets loose on occasion.

15. doghouseman

doghouseman Tele-Holic

I have been using one of these Two Notes pre amps into a solid state amp. The solid state amp rides in the gig trailer - and this Two Notes Pre Amp I take home and play with on my board. For the money, they can't be beat. I have the Marshall one (La Crunch) and the Fender one (Le Clean). The Fender one sounds great, and I have been playing a long time, so take it from some old ears, this thing is very good.

For something with a lot of effects, try the Zoom MS50. I have three of those too. Great user interface and looks just like an average pedal so you can put it on your board. Only a 100 bucks too.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 7, 2021
  16. doghouseman

doghouseman Tele-Holic

A buddy of mine has a Quilter that he really likes. I also when to a show where the guitar player was using a Quilter with a few boss pedals and he sounded really good, so I was convinced.

JoshW77 and scotman like this.
  17. Mowgli

Mowgli Tele-Meister

I think you are going to continue to receive a lot of good opinions on this thread but no single correct answer.

When faced with picking a single choice from a multitude of good choices it often helps to write down a "what's most important" list of criteria to help guide your choice ( for example, price range, wattage, effects loop, weight, etc.). It may not yield the "perfect" choice but it will create a framework from which you can learn! Such a process allows one to ask one of the essential questions about life - Where did I think correctly and incorrectly about a particular decision?

Benjamin Graham, Warren Buffet's mentor, said (I will paraphrase), "All investors make mistakes. The good investors avoid big mistakes."

Impulse decisions in the past, especially when I was young, caused most of my big mistakes. So learn from the mistakes of others and be deliberative.

mandofrog and frednic like this.
  18. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

+1 on a Bandit, preferably Red Stripe version. From my experience, the input and effect send/return jacks may need some maintenance given their age/use. The big drawback for me is the weight -- yes, built like tanks but also weigh as much!

For (quite) a few $ more, I'd seriously look at Quilter. The Micro Pro Mach 2 8" is amazing for its size, dispersion and power; takes pedals well, and sound guys love it for the DI. I'd love to try the new Aviator Cub if/when one becomes available locally.

19. Edgar Allan Presley

Edgar Allan Presley Friend of Leo's

I use a Quilter Pro Block 200 on gigs where it doesn't make sense to use my big old Bassman, and the Quilter works great. I just ordered a Milkman The Amp 50 to fill a similar role (though it has a tube preamp, so is unresponsive to your question). I'm pretty sold on the little class D amp heads, and I have a few different cabinets to suit the gig.

I think you'd be fine with a DV Mark head, too. They make good stuff.

20. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

Joyo American Sound pedal is a great cab sim plus many players 'go direct to the PA' with it.

+6 now for 'get an Bandit'. Doesn't matter what color 'stripe' it has. They are all good.

Orange 35RT worked for Jakedog doing bar gigs with a drummer a couple years back.

youtube channel johan segeborn did a video run down of fifteen solid state guitar amps that could all be bought and would still be less money than a boutique tube amp. The Bandit was among them, plus a few others already listed in this thread.

telefire, Damon C, OmegaWoods and 3 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.