Advice about home vs. professional studio to record one's album?

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by RoscoeElegante, Jul 13, 2019.

1. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

It seems illogical to spend a lot of money on this, unless you have enough money that it simply doesn't matter.

As stratavarious said, it will be a good way to learn how to do it with your own studio. Doing it all at home will make it a social event for everyone that participates. That might have its drawbacks, but it might make it more enjoyable. I don't know if you have a deadline, but if this isn't meant to further your musical career, then you don't have any real pressure to get it done by certain date.

Do it at home. Enjoy the learning process. Enjoy playing with friends and other musicians. The final product will be much more than just a collection of songs. It'll be a collection of memories.

suthol likes this.
  2. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Just my 2 cents....

1. If you want a project done in a few months that sounds good, do it in a studio.
    2. If you want to learn how to record and time is not a factor, do it at home. Just understand that it will likely take a few years to start getting any results that are acceptable to anyone other than your own family.
    #2 is far more rewarding, but sometimes it just isn't practical. That's up to you!

3. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

Yeah, well I also said if it's important that it sound really good, get professional help. So ...

4. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

i do scratch tracks to send to studio for my guy to set up basics(tempo-ect). Umm...studio all the way..why..i get to sit & do the drums..the bass..the guitar while its tracked..my focus is progressive to the part..no stopping -starting..a good engineer is also going to challenge you to be your best !!I live for it !!going in every other week for a new song to end of year. 5 down so far

telemnemonics likes this.
  5. suthol

suthol Friend of Leo's

One major catch I have found when band recording yourself is quite a bit of the fun goes out of it.

When my two mates and I kicked off we were just jamming to karaoke style backing tracks and as a guitarist I was getting my chops back pretty quick, Bob and Max are the singers and I provide a bit of harmony.

Now that we are recording they are singing their heads off while I sit at the PC & mixer, I then take it home and add my guitar, bass & harmony parts and then edit, mix / master ( more like mixmaster I think :lol: )

Bottom line is that instead of playing together for 2 or 3 hours it is now work

Should add I am loving the learning and the challenge but this is a definite downside for me

6. preactor

preactor Tele-Holic

While you are practicing, why NOT record? Nothing else it will show you where any performing weakness lies. Sadly, if you can't get to sound half-way decent with your way of doing things...then bring on a miracle worker.

7. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

Yup. work on a fun little project to get your feet wet.

telemnemonics and preactor like this.
  8. simoncroft

simoncroft Tele-Meister

That sounds like a plan to me. :)

preactor likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.