1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Advice about appalling Headstrong Amplifiers customer service

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Jonathan Fowles, Feb 12, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

If your banking or credit account you paid with is in your country you might be covered by them and your own countries laws regarding the purchase. It's worth giving them a call and explaining the situation.

Tim S likes this.
  2. Jonathan Fowles

Jonathan Fowles TDPRI Member

Thanks - to clarify I did seek authorisation many, many times for weeks via email, social media and telephone. He completely ignored me. I didn't think it fair that I paid $2800 for a badly constructed amp so I returned it assuming he is an honourable person. I now recognise that was naive of me.

Wound_Up likes this.
  3. Jonathan Fowles

"sigh"

4. BluesGuitarMart

BluesGuitarMart Tele-Meister

Hi Jonathan,

Can you post pictures in this thread? I'm really not sure why people seem to be so keen to doubt your story but pictures would make things easier to understand for everyone. Plus you could get people's feedback on the workmanship, plenty of people here have built amps themselves and know what an incorrectly built one looks like.

5. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Friend of Leo's

At this point, a forum like this one shall be of no real help in solving your issue. What I would personally do is seek help from your bank: I guess you either paid by bank wire transfer or by card, and your bank most likely provides insurance or at least juridical assistance for this kind of situations.
    If not, I would then turn to a lawyer: it’s not that expensive for a small and simple issue like that, and we are talking about 2,800 usd here.
    Best of luck.

kookaburra, rolandson and Gaz_ like this.
  6. Jonathan Fowles

Thank you everyone, I will speak to a lawyer as I have everything in writing and an expert witness as to the state of the amp. Thanks.

kookaburra, Frodebro and rolandson like this.
  7. sugarinthegourd

sugarinthegourd Tele-Meister

What model of Headstrong amp was it? Photos would really help. I’m having trouble understanding what was wrong and why holes had to be drilled in the chassis (rather than possibly in the cabinet if needed).

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
  8. justin.ramsey

justin.ramsey Tele-Holic

I bought a used Headstrong King Reverb a few years back, and I had a question about the amp. So I sent them an email and had a response within a couple hours that was super detailed and he went out of his way to assist me. I have nothing but good things to say about him.

9. hdvades

hdvades Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

All this over "almost 1cm". Wow! I'm with justin.ramsey on this one.

10. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

There has to be photos of this amp somewhere. I'm sure the OP took photos to show the problem to the builder. Can we see those photos? Not saying I don't believe him, but he was asked by others for photos and we have not seen them.

Muinarc and That Cal Webway like this.
  11. Jonathan Fowles

It was a 2x10" Vibrolux Reverb copy. The chassis was pre-drilled and the holes did not properly match the cabinet. So the chassis was fitted into the cabinet at an incorrect angle and therefore the front plate and controls stuck out over the grille on one side. You'll just have to take my word for it I'm afraid, i can assure you this is all true (i wish it wasn't).

12. Jonathan Fowles

I'm genuinely glad for you and i know Headstrong normally have a good reputation, but in my case I have been treated very badly and I don't think it's fair they get away with it.

13. Jonathan Fowles

Well in a earlier email to me Wayne said that the amp had to be "perfect". I don't think it's fair to pay $2800 for a brand new amp whose control plate sticks out at angles at the front and whose switches protrude at the back so they will get knocked off when you carry it around. Beyond the poor product the bigger issue now is his refusal to respond to all my communication and keeping my money. But if you'd be happy paying that much for a poorly made amp then I congratulate you for being either a far richer of a far more accepting man than I am.

kookaburra likes this.
  14. sugarinthegourd

So why wasn’t it fixed when the tech drilled new holes? Is the chassis actually too deep for the cabinet? So that if it doesn’t stick out on the front, the chassis sticks out on the back? Photos would really help here. Did you never take any, through this whole ordeal of trans-Atlantic communication, and before sending it back without prior approval?

And why is important to you that you can put the amp “flush against the wall”? I’ve never had that on my list of requirements for an amp...

15. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Me thinks you have to have had it happen to you in America for that recourse to work...

16. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

It's preferable to not have stuff protruding out the front or back of an amp cabinet so you can fit it in a roadcase, cover, transport it etc without breaking knobs off or damaging it.

17. Jonathan Fowles

Thankyou! I don't think any manufacturer anywhere makes an amp where the switches and fuses at the rear protrude out so if you were carrying it and bumped it against something they would break off. I just used "flush against a wall" to make the point that they all stuck out.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  18. sugarinthegourd

I’ll have to double check but I’m pretty sure the knobs and switches on the back of my Swart AST do stick out. It’s never been a concern – the amp came with a heavy padded cover, and I’ve never given it the least bit of thought.

Sorry to rub salt in the wound. This does sound like a bad story – what I think you’re seeing is that a lot of us have seen people bring vendettas to these Internet forums and in the past the mob would react after only hearing one side of the story, which was often not the whole story. I think what you’re seeing now is the mob trying very hard not to act like a mob.

Also, there was at least one important detail in your original post that you didn’t mention here, which makes me wonder if there are other details you have left out, inadvertently or otherwise.

And you seem to be avoiding one question above all: did you take pictures?

19. Tim S

Tim S Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

If you didn’t take any photos, I would think the technician who attempted the repair would have taken “before and after“ photos. If he’s willing to act as a witness, he should be willing to provide photographic evidence.

20. Bob M

Bob M Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I've dealt with "boutique" builders a half dozen times. The results have been 50-50. One cabinet I had built was beautiful. One (by a highly recommended builder) not so good. 2 pedals-one great, one that broke down and became a painful process to repair. I think some of the smaller businesses are operating on financial shoestrings and struggle to make things right. In your case being outside the US doesn't make things easier. I think you have to research the hell out of a boutique builder. If a business sells enough product they will certainly have issues. It's how they deal with these issues which will determine future success.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.