ADVERTISEMENT! Answer the phone, someone is selling you something, get a text, sometimes marketing

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by teleman1, Nov 10, 2019.

1. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Afflicted

Anyway, nothing seems straight anymore. Everything is backed by a corporate entity or someone is trying to rip you off. And what prompted me to note this. Watch you tube, you get hit with political ads, marketing ads. SO I ask, wouldn't it be nice if we only got movie trailors for each you tube you watch. Heck, they could do trailors for movies 40 years old;expose the younger generation. Have people under 30 seen when Harry met Sally? THe Pawnbroker. Rebel without a cause? Anyway anything but the constant crap we are getting. Turn us on to cool stuff. No wonder we are getting angrier. BA BA BOOEY over and out!

2. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

When you become a service consumer society ... WTF do you expect?:rolleyes:

teleman1, JL_LI and dented like this.
  3. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Afflicted

Will we have a point of exhaustion? Or is this only the beginning?

4. dented

dented Poster Extraordinaire

I'm a YT addict. Point and click my man, point and click. I just pick a music vid and then let it play the next and so on. If you hit the right spot there are no ads on vid only script and I'm not watching just listening.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  5. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Read, "Collapse" by Jerrod Diamond to find out.:cool: A hint: it ain't gonna be pretty.:twisted:

6. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

YouTube bomb you with ads so you are forced to pay for that membership deal they try to push. Or you could just mute the ones you cant skip and look away from the screen while they play like I do.

I don't answer calls from numbers I don't know or private numbers. I don't check email and if i'm approached by someone trying to sell me something i ignore them and keep walking.

You don't have to partake in it if you don't want to. I don't even answer a knock at the door anymore. I used to be quiet and turn the volume down until they went away, now I just carry on as normal and they eventually get tired of knocking and go away defeated. :D

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
    Toto'sDad likes this.
  7. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

With old school media there was no method to turn off the ads as there is with new school media. The model was there with newspapers. You still saw ads when you paid for it to be in your hands.

Some news apps are ad-free or mostly that way.

I'm not much of a TV watcher but that's a months or years long holiday and money feast for the local network owners selling political ads.

Two decent news sources most can get for free or little are Apple's News and Microsoft's News in Windows 10 but the latter is with more ads where you can avoid them. I find the $10 a month for Apple's News+ to be well worth it. You get more newspaper content without ads and hundreds of magazines and journals.

A walk or bike ride to our closest libraries also works well for getting good media in a not so obnoxious manner.

Depending on your interests you can also get a lot of good content via the public goods we have in most countries. The same agencies and organizations that bring us transportation, weather, public health, parks and utilities have a lot of good content for learning and entertainment.

Yes, the ad phenomenon sure can be annoying but you can manage it without breaking your wallet or well being.

8. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I don't think you can "manage" it without inadvertently polluting your brain.

The people putting forth these ads are ten steps ahead of you. They can condition you to "accept as normal" that which is not normal simply because it is going on on the periphery of your consciousness. And even if it sort of doesn't work on you, what about that "Lower Half" that George Carliin used to tell us about. This is serious business. We're growing a bunch of misinformed mobs out there.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  9. zimbo

zimbo Friend of Leo's

Ever notice that any company that has your email will contact you again regardless? If they asked for your email to log onto their site you will be contacted by them. Unsubscribe. But never give them your email if it doesn't pop up.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.