1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

adult ADHD and learning songs

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by ezpickins, Oct 30, 2020.

1. EddieLocrian

EddieLocrian Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, no such thing as ADHD, it just kids not disciplined properly who then turn naughty and spiral.

Anybody remember ADHD in school back in the late 60s or early 70s? - No, cos it wasn't and isn't a thing.
    Some peeps are just better at remembering stuff - nuff said!

My non-pc 2 cents.

Eddie.

I shall expect a full array of challenging comments to my post by Monday at the latest please...
    :)

Toto'sDad likes this.
  2. tubegeek

tubegeek Friend of Leo's

Definitive answer.

3. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

Me too .My wife told me I have ADHD last year .I am 74 .She is right and it all makes sense .I have been a sort of mild sensible drifter all my life .Bored stupid at school unless I was interested so big fail .Still clever though according to others so big disappointment all round.Decent guitarist and singer but too many styles ,flitting twixt country ,jazz ,rock acoustic electric etc.Bored in bands .
    I have always been good at making models since a kid and this has kept me in money often when I quit jobs .I sold my first garden gnome painted at the age of 10 and havent stopped painting and sculpting figures ,racing cars ,trains .Still sculpting little people for companies.its led to some funny place s. I was even an F1 journalist and photographer for years for Japanese magazines .
    I am also quick at grabbing an opportunity so a survivor. I cant learn lyrics to save my life ,halfway through I jump to a chord I hava just come across .I hardly know the name of any chord so the real book is out though my friends are gobsmacked at my jazzy chord progs that I dont know the name of .Its all done by my very good musical ear which isnt really enough playing jazzy stuff with others .At blues jams I just invent as i go along and at Jazz nights scat when I forget .It all goes down well.
    Wish I had known earlier as I could have seeked out help and adjusted .Still selling models even though retired and have a lovely wife ,a nice house blah blah .I did some things right but could have done it better.

ezpickins and thesamhill like this.
  4. thesamhill

thesamhill Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Seems like there's a lot of us floating around here. That makes me happy. My reply keeps getting longer because I keep clicking that "new messages have been posted" thing and finding more I want to respond to.

Truth!

I like thinking of it as "Attention Deficit with/without Hyperactivity Disorder". I'm not personally in the "H" category but I'm OK with having the H-ers in the club... as long as they sit still and keep quiet and don't bug me while I play with legos for hours instead of doing my homework.

I didn't catch this from the OP, but good call. There's a lot of stuff that can affect attention, and a lot of stuff that looks like attention that isn't. It's great to find a possible diagnosis for yourself, and following up with a good pro can help dial it in.

Yeah! Those thick, light brown ones with the white liner socks underneath.

lol. I need to get better at handling the children's table on this topic. Might borrow your approach

@musicalmartin Yep. That's the story. If you can find "ADHD: A Hunter in a Farmer’s World" around, it might be worth a read/listen. Not strictly scientific, and I'm not a huge fan of ev psych, but it helped me personally to put some of my experiences in perspective.

tubegeek likes this.
  5. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Yeah because they also collect trash at the local haberdashery !

tubegeek likes this.
  6. johnny k

johnny k Poster Extraordinaire

The internet fried my attention span ! or maybe it is the beer. It is weird because i can read for 7 hours straight without losing focus, if i am interested in the book. So basically any book but the lord of the rings.;)

edit thinking about it, i think my problem is lazyness...

Mike Eskimo and tubegeek like this.
  7. beanluc

beanluc Tele-Meister

Same **** different guy.

Do I have an attention problem or a motivation problem - that's been the impenetrable mystery and the question in my mental chatter ever since I was diagnosed with ADHD, at age 41 (9 years ago).

Medication can help me sometimes, but even with that, if it's not fun, compelling, novel-feeling, I have a hard time concentrating on it and doing the work.

A huge factor is "external scaffolding". Study material on creating habits. You don't get distracted from things that are habits and routines, right? And get an "accountability partner" - someone who has no actual stake in your outcomes but is willing to non-judgementally check with you on your progress or adherence to planned tasks (practice, songwriting, study, whatever). They might ask you to do the same for them. Consider something like this https://medium.com/@taylorjacobson/...r-to-keep-you-honest-and-focused-bcba6921e95b if you don't have someone who you feel like you can ask for this from.

I'm not affiliated with Focusmate.

tubegeek likes this.
  8. johnny k

Maybe it existed but it didn't have a name yet ? You are talking about a time when you could see ads of doctors smoking cigarettes and telling you it would ease the asthma... ;)

9. thesamhill

thesamhill Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I'm in my home office which is the bedroom next to my daughter's. She's in "class," I can hear the teacher over Zoom, and... I can also hear her plucking away on her guitar and singing.

I know I'm going to be helping her with that assignment later. She won't know what she's supposed to do because she wasn't paying attention to the instruction.

I should probably say something but I don't want to. All I can think is, "that's my girl!" :)

10. beanluc

beanluc Tele-Meister

Look up neurodiversity.

This isn't a matter of PC.

MilwMark likes this.
  11. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I've played back up to a weedly-deedely bend-y noodling guy. If you can pull it off, you're a pretty good rhythm player.

12. Toto'sDad

I don't know what happened to my repertoire of songs stored in my memory. I used to have at least a hundred songs (maybe more) on tap that I could sing, and play at any given moment. One day I think I bumped my head and made a small crack behind my ear and they started leaking out, now they are all gone.

P Thought likes this.
  13. Alcohen

Alcohen Tele-Meister

"Noodle for Britain" is a great band name.

I have to play through a song perhaps a hundred times to be able to remember the lyrics. Not exaggerating. The music part is much easier, though I still need a lot of reps to not make mistakes.

14. Toto'sDad

I used to know two brothers. One was "afflicted" with some sort of learning disorder and speech problem. The one with the problems was the younger of the two. One day the younger brother got mad and swung on the older brother. I was standing right there, and I never knew what set him off. Anyway, bad mistake on the younger brother's part, the older brother was pretty handy with his dukes, and pulled a combination on him pronto. When we woke the younger brother up, his nose was bleeding pretty profusely, he wiped his nose, and said clear as a bell, you no good son of a b..... From that day forward he could speak just fine. Last time I ran into him, he was working for a national heavy equipment dealer as a mechanic, and was as normal as any of his workmates. I know this sounds a little fishy, but I saw the guy before and after, and it was a complete change.

P Thought likes this.
  15. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I remember song arrangement fairly well. But paying attention long enough to get a lead like the original? No way. I dont do it, have never been able to either. It may be a form of ADD, or just laziness on my part.
    I started not worrying about it much when I realized that a star in concert seldom plays his own lead the same as the record anyway.

16. johnny k

2nd verse, same as the 1st !

17. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Like how incredibly wrong you are?

Of course it was a thing.

They just used to label smart kids dumb, or trouble makers, or behavior problems, or hopeless.

Instead of helping them.

Sad they didn't know better.

Next you want to give us your take on how dyslexia is fake too?

I have yet to "ignore" anyone but you and your parrot might just motivate me to learn how.

Some **** is just best kept to yourself.

telemnemonics and beanluc like this.
  18. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Holic

ADHD aside, age isn't helping. You capacity for retaining things in short-term memory long enough for them to be committed to long-term memory peaks at about 25, plateaus until about 35 and then starts dropping. When you're young, you might be able to run through something a couple of times in a day and there's a good chance it will stick (i.e., end up in long-term memory). As you age, that stuff becomes less sticky and more likely not to end up memorized.

You're about my age, and these days I've found that practicing something new for less time over more days is more effective than trying to bang it out 50 times in the same day and expecting it to stick. Your mileage may vary, of course.

Or you could get a music stand and somebody will start a thread about it. :rolleyes:

ezpickins, P Thought and Toto'sDad like this.
  19. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Got terrible ADHD and I'm late for work!
    Dang it I gotta go the the bank and also bring home pizza for birthday dinner plus figure out the new Beat Buddy pedal I could'a used playing a Screamin Jay Hawkins version of an elvis tune that got me thinkin' the 18w was too muddy so I switched to an oddball 30w to tighten up the bottom and had to add some mids on a SUF muff then consider it's time to replace that bad preamp tube socket in this particular amp that has a Classic Tone AC30 OT which will be unobtanium soon due to yet another Murican manufacturer of good stuff shutting it's doors.

Oh damn I gotta get out the door!

Meds never worked for me but diet and Yoga has helped.

For learnin' songs I gotta get it in my soul.
    Listen, sing it, listen, sing it on the road and to my wife, listen then it's already inside me so allmistakes are good mistakes!

P Thought likes this.
  20. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    Moderator's Note

We've had a couple of reports regarding a couple of posts in this thread. I'm going to leave it all as is for now. I don't see any personal attacks or hateful rhetoric going on at this point. It is important to remember one of the rules of the forum - don't state your opinions as facts. Seriously. If you agree with something that has been said, great. If you disagree with something that has been said, equally great. Feel free to discuss those things. Just don't make your posts as though you're demonstrating an immutable law of physics.

I may be making a mistake, and we (moderators) may need step in at some point. But I hope not.

telemnemonics likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.