1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Ads. Where are we headed?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by gobi_grey, Apr 8, 2021.

1. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

yeah
    have the grandkids set you up with an adblocker

BB, Masmus, dougstrum and 1 other person like this.
  2. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

There are some.

Affiliate links, which are used here for Amazon, EBay and perhaps others, are effective and unobtrusive.

Subscriptions, also used here, work as long as the value is there. Patreon and other tipping systems also provide this.

Merch sales is another one.

3. OldPup

OldPup Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

True, when something is free, you're the product. To that I'd add that our information is still sold, even when we pay. Ask an American capitalist what to do if you've found a way to further monetize a service.

BorderRadio likes this.
  4. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

Oh yea, when the cost-benefit tipping point is reached, it will become a badge of shame. Search engines are an absolute joke now, lol. Any search, no matter how obscure, results in dozens of pages of Amazon, Walmart, Target links. I could search on "liver cancer", and I'll still have to wade thru hits selling shoes, plastic forks, cell phone covers, shipped in 24 hrs! Lol, the whole thing is completely clownish.

I can ignore ads. I keep several windows open, keep instruments by my chair, have the financial networks rolling on the TV, so at any point I hot swap to a more productive activity unaware of any bombardment of ads. Tech clowns aren't hard to outsmart.

So we desperately need a real search engine provider uncorrupted by dishonest algorithms and poser leadership. Folks are hungry for it, whether aware or not. There may be a really big market, for a VPN internet provider, with a proprietary search engine. I'd pay double monthly for that. Maybe more.

And Youtube is dominated by a compulsion for attention. I can find a decent DIY or product comparison, but many are dominated by someone who enjoys hearing themselves talk. And talk and talk. I fast-forward to the effective ingredients, before starting, lol. Again, gotta outsmart the clowns...

gobi_grey likes this.
  5. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

The reason for this is that, about 20 years ago now, some of us found ways to easily get our little obscure websites to the top of Google's search results. Google played "whack-a-mole" with us small timers for about 8 years. Then, they decided to promote "brands" in their search results instead of using their older ranking algorithms. So, you get a bunch of big brand links at the top of most popular searches and auto-generated junk after that. Google is good at putting "little people" in their place.

6. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

This whole thread.

[​IMG]

BorderRadio and joe_cpwe like this.
  7. buster poser

buster poser Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Not advertising! And intruding on our visual sense?!? The horror.

Quick search of the web indeed proves it's gotten pretty bad in some places. Anyone know how/why they got so many classic cars in this obviously recent shot?

[​IMG]

demon, Manual Slim and tery like this.
  8. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

And you thought the internet was for you?

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

JL_LI and Toto'sDad like this.
  9. lupowitz

lupowitz Tele-Afflicted

If you are eager to get in, disable javascript or turn of css or toggle to reader view. One of these tricks usually get you over the script that is detecting your adblocker. Or in some cases I just write a new rule with the element hider in adblock.

telemnemonics likes this.
  10. THX1123

THX1123 Tele-Meister

Those ads are how I practice my profanity-laced and brutally abusive verbal tirades.

As a joke my band plays those 10 second local ad jingles in between songs. The Oh-Oh-Oh-O'Reilly Auto Parts one makes us laugh every time. Hopefully we will actually have a gig sometime soon.

Toto'sDad and lupowitz like this.
  11. gobi_grey

gobi_grey Tele-Afflicted

If the service provided isn't worth paying for or not worth the hassle of ads, it's gonna go away. My point is just that. I don't work for free but if I'm providing a service that few if any are willing to pay for, I'm gonna either have to work for free or stop providing the service. Ad revenue doesn't seem to be a reliable source with so many people are using ad blockers. At some point companies aren't gonna want to pay for something that isn't effective right? That's a bubble and it's fixin to burst. I'm looking for thoughts on where we're headed.

12. gobi_grey

gobi_grey Tele-Afflicted

That road must be the information super highway.

I'm curious as to what point we will see the bubble burst. How far can it go? How effective can an ad be when everyone hates it, blocks it, ignores it, purposely boycots companies with annoying ads... what happens when the companies start giving up on advertising(as we know it) and what comes next?

13. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

The forum is a for profit advertising business .

14. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Interesting workaround!
    Not sure I'm tech savvy enough but I might give it a shot.

lupowitz likes this.
  15. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's

Does one of you do the "Ow!" at the end along with a slide down from a really high note on guitar?

BorderRadio likes this.
  16. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

My 5 year old granddaughter would agree. She also declined my offer for $1000 in exchange for a bite of muffin.

17. AmpHandle

AmpHandle Tele-Meister

You need to stop letting the internet run your daily life. Why do we constant stimulation? Addiction is a dangerous thing.

Obsessed likes this.
  18. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

[​IMG]

Obsessed likes this.
  19. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Because we grammar

TokyoPortrait and Obsessed like this.
  20. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

For your granddaughter, it wasn't about the financial gain. She just really doesn't rate you.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.