Adrian Belew

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by bricksnbeatles, Jul 20, 2019.

1. bricksnbeatles

bricksnbeatles Tele-Afflicted

Anyone here a fan of adrian belew?

Frank Zappa
    Talking Heads
    Bowie
    Tom Tom Club
    King Crimson (of course!)
    The Bears (A personal favorite of mine!)
    Fission Trip
    His solo albums
    The Adrian Belew Power Trio/Quartet (Shout out to bassist Julie Slick and her amazing side band, Echotest— Frankly she deserves her own thread!)
    Gizmodrome
    Laurie Anderson
    Paul Simon
    The Crimson ProjeKcts

...You name it! The guy is a monster of a player, and just the nicest guy! I've had the pleasure of seeing him twice, and let me tell you— You need to see him.

What are your favorite albums and songs of his? Have you ever seen him, and if so, with who? Feel free to babble, burble, banter, and bicker whatever you wish to, so long as it's relevant to Adrian in some way.

Note: For the uninitiated, I'll be putting together a spotify playlist of key tracks, spanning his career. It'll be posted below soon.
    Unfortunately neither of the two versions of E are available on Spotify, nor is his wonderful new 'Pop Sided', but they're available on his webstore, and I can't recommend them enough (E for orchestra is a favorite of mine).

Here's a pic of me and him a few days before my 18th birthday a few years ago.

039.JPG

2. richiek65

richiek65 Friend of Leo's

Haven't heard a lot of him but I thought this was cool

scrapyardblue and JeffBlue like this.
  3. Fretting out

Fretting out Tele-Holic

I haven’t really followed his back catalogue that much but there used to be a great video on YouTube that’s probably floating around out there somewhere where he showed his set up from the mid 80s and discussed thinking about the guitar in unorthodox ways and expanding its use beyond just guitar sounds,

If I figure out what the videos called I’ll post it but it’s worth checking out if you’ve never seen it

He’s an interesting fellow indeed

4. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I have a lot of King Crimson on an ipod lifted from a drive someone gave me. I'm always blown away when something by them comes on. I never go back to listen to them more. I need to.

An 18yo listening to Belew. That's pretty damn kewl.

5. Guitardvark

Guitardvark Tele-Meister

way cool man hes the reason I tore the frets off my '73 strat :)...

6. paulblackford

paulblackford Tele-Meister

I've seen him a few times, including twice in the Power Trio. Incredible shows. Fantastic musicianship by all involved. You can't be a guitar nerd, and feel like you didn't get your money's worth when you go see Belew. Both of the Power Trio shows I saw were in a small club, but they put on a show like they were in an arena playing to thousands. A definite shout out to Julie Slick for being an absolute monster bass player. Most shows, I rarely note just how good the bass player's sound is. Usually, if the bass sound is good I don't make much note of it, at all. If it's bad, it does stand out as such. Slick's bass sound hits you in the chest, and you can't help but appreciate it. Great shows, well worth your concert going dollar.

7. Mase

Mase Tele-Meister

I dig his tune Lone Rhinoceros.Great player.

kafka, Tommy Biggs and studio1087 like this.
  8. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

I'm a big fan of Adrian Belew.

I own (on CD's of course) nearly everything he has produced.

When I was in Saudi Arabia and Iraq during the First Gulf War, his albums Mr Music Head and Young Lions helped me get thru it all.

(I actually had them recorded to cassette, and I listened to them, along with stuff like Brian Wilson's 1988 solo album, on a battery-powered cassette player and headphones.)

:)

9. Ex-riverman

Ex-riverman Tele-Holic

Love him. Saw him once in the early 90s. Amazing player. So fluid and innovative and the stage presence of a true entertainer. I’m a huge fan of his work with the Talking Heads (Remain in Light, Speaking in Tongues), KC, Bowie. I have most of his early work on vinyl. Op Zop Too Wah has some cool stuff on it. An all time favorite. Haven’t kept up with him in the last ten years or so.

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  10. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

I’ve been a huge fan since 1981. Saw him with Bowie. Met him and got a quick autograph when he toured with the Psycho Dots.

11. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

nope not at all !

image-placeholder-title.jpg CT57G9vVEAA79uJ.jpg

heres a pic of his favorite pedal

digitech_impossible_ON_epedal.png

Fretting out and zippofan like this.
  12. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I honestly never heard of him until I seen him as Bowie’s guitarist at the Spectrum in Philly. I then made a point of finding out who he was. His intro to Fame made me really take notice. He is one of those guitarist that I have probably no idea how he does 80% of what he’s doing.

13. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

adrian Belews rubber neck

IMG_0805.JPG

check out his work with Laurie Abderson's " Home of the Brave"

zippofan and Tommy Biggs like this.
  14. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Friend of Leo's

Adventurous player. A lot of ideas.

Gene O. likes this.
  15. MDent77

MDent77 Tele-Afflicted

I was just listening to one of my favorite King Crimson's songs (Belew co-wrote) "Frame by Frame". Adrian's vocal, guitar work (along with Robert Fripp's), is excellent. The guitar parts wonderfully represent the topic sung. The theme being one lost in over-analysis; to the point of being crippled in a loop of thoughts. It's a very cool tune.

bricksnbeatles, erratick and zippofan like this.
  16. Gene O.

Gene O. Tele-Holic

I saw him with King Crimson at Oberlin College around 1982, shortly after buying their Discipline LP. He matches up pretty well with Robert Fripp.

I enjoy watching/istening to this show of later King Crimson...

JeffBlue and Butch Snyder like this.
  17. tweedman2001

tweedman2001 Tele-Afflicted

Was North of There, Now Way Way South of There
    Here Here! been on my radar since the FZ days.

18. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's

I remember this one. I always thought it was catchy. Nothing like a Daddy-Daughter hit song.

I keep meaning to check out his more renowned stuff. This thread is a good excuse.

19. kafka

kafka Tele-Afflicted

I liked the King Crimson and his first three solo albums. I remember listening to Desire Caught by the Tail a lot. I lost track of him after that.

I remember liking this piece a lot. Very influenced by Zappa's orchestral work.

20. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I’m a fan from his days with Bowie (the Lodger album) and King Crimson. I remember seeing them plays Frame By Frame on (BBC music show) The Old Grey Whistle Test, which must have been 1982.

I listened to the 1980s King Crimson albums he was on but somehow I missed the King Crimson albums from the 90’s and 00’s (Thrak, TCOL, TPTB): thankfully I have caught up with them recently. He brought a different sense of humour to their music, and him and Fripp took two-guitar music to lots of new places.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.